Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

5 days post op and feeling almost back to normal. The gas pains have been kind of bad, but have been progressively been getting better. Thank heaven for chewable gasx. I think my dr has the longest liquid phase (and there is no mushie phase!) 1 week of Clear Liquids and the 2nd week you can incorporate Protein Shakes and drinkable yougurt and cream Soups (but this can be started day 6). I usually hate Vitamins but I started taking chewable Centrum and chewable caltrate (my uncle is a pharmacist- and this is what he recommended). It's not bad- they dont have that horrible Vitamin smell. I have been speaking to people who are big on fitness and Protein shakes (the ex boyfriend- included) and he recommends mixing the Protein Powder with apple juice. It sounded gross but then I heard it from people at Trader joes so I think I'm going to try it. I heard you don't taste the apple it just makes it sweet and more like a milkshake. Aslo I don't know if anybody has checked out the food board but they have a sticky for liquid stage with some really good idea's. I have a question for everybody. By new years I will be 2 weeks and a couple of days post op do you think a glass or two glasses tops of wine will kill me or hurt the band? I hope everybody has a good day !!!

Hey December Bandsters! Mind if I join your group?? I was banded 5 days ago, on Friday the 15th..and so far things have been good! My only problem now is that I still have pain in the port area when I stand up/sit down (feels like I did 10000 pushups). Anyone know how long it takes for that feeling to go away??

I had my surgery in CO b/c I'm self pay, but actually live in VA. I'm still on liquids, although my Dr. said I could go to "Mushies" after 5 days, so I may work my way up to mushies on Friday.

Is anyone else afraid of actually eating solid foods one you get to that stage? I'm so afraid that my first bite of real food is gonna get stuck! I know, I'm probably the only one, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyways, its nice to see people that are in the same (or about to be) stage I am!

I look forward to posting more soon....

Hey Kristen! Welcome to our Dysfunctional December family!! hehe

Just kidding... most of us are sane. Except for Nat (NGAdams) :) WHOA Watch out for that one!

(I'll hear about THAT one later) HA

I get banded this friday. So, I will soon be feeling the burn... and the gas... and the itching...

Boy we are going to all be an attractive crowd for a few weeks. :)

I am so glad that we were all able to go through this together. It has been a real experience getting to know you all before and after the band. We've got to see the journey along with the actual event. :-) which is kinda groovy.

Thanks for the warm Welcome Patti and Beversman!! Its good to know that others are going through the same thoughts and pains as I am. OMG, I just had a hiccup and boy was that painful! Do NOT want that to happen again anytime soon!

Just curious how you all are handling the holidays...my family is all going to be visiting for a week so it's definitely going to be a "foodcentric" week. I'm able to eat 'mushies' by the time they all arrive, but I'm sure I'm still probably going to try to stick to more liquids just b/c I"m paranoid LOL.

I'd love to hear what you all have strategized for getting through the holidays!

Well I feel really good I am 8 days post op and I slept mostly on my belly last night! I started out on my side, I can not sleep on my back. But when I woke up I was in my normal belly position with one leg bent! I slept so good. I am healing really well and I lost another pound since yesterday, in spite of my solid food experience. I am not going to worry to much about it. I am not going to eat bread or high carbs. I am going to advance to puree soft Proteins. I feel I am ready and it goes down well. I feel small restriction without a fill and I hope this continues for a little while as long as I am losing. Yesterday for lunch I ate most of a third of hamburger patty and 2 french fries. I smothered them in ketchup. I am not recommending this although it went down fine. I really want to stay away from fast food. I didnt have a choice yesterday b/c we were on the toll road and nothing else available for miles. They didnt even have soup! I could have had a milk shake but I didnt want that much carbs!

Good luck to all of you guys being banded soon! I cant wait to see your pictures next Christmas! Jill

Morning Ladies!

Welcome Kirsten & Browneyedgirl! Yes we are all dysfuncional (some more then others)

I had some fear of eating solid food - NOT - I guess I really did the first few days out, I was just worried I'd do harm to the precious life perserver tucked away in my tummy. I was afraid of it not being healed enough to eat - but thats done. I'm now fearless and can't wait to eat my mushies!!! yeehaw!

B-man - I had some v-E caplets on the shelf so I cracked one open and smeared it on - total relief! And the tape is gone now too so that may have been causing some itches - I'm using the E a few times a day - its 40,000 so it should do the job. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Brownie for the info on the apple juice - I'm going to pick some up today to try it out. At this stage I'll try anything new. I made a cappicino this morning and added half a scoop of Protein - YUKKKK! Down the drain it went. Apparently Protein crap doesn't do well in hot liquids.

Kay - welcome back to the living and near dead! Hope you're enjoying your down time - I know I did. Talk with you soon.

Nat - glad to hear you figured out the warm stuff goes down easier. Other then Water I drink hot tea so I guess I just never thot of it. As for the yogurt smoothies and shakes those feel more like a meal then a drink to me. Guess cuz they're heavier - and Soup - dang I'm sick of soup! I went to McD's again last night after the support group and got a cup of the chicken noodle - drank the broth and gave the rest to the dogs - waste of $2 - I coulda done a broth at home but I'm grasping for something new. I suppose I could make some homemade Soup but my nesting days are gone. LOL Oh and thats probably gas and not a kink in your shoulder/neck, sweetie thats what it feels like. Use the heating pad and take a gasx and it'll go away.

Sweethot - I'm glad you're feeling up to the recital - try to rest before you go because you'll be exhausted when you get home - I'll bet she does wonderful! Geesh I miss those days!

Belly Sleepers of America Unite - I'm back to the belly - took a week but I'm back again. Still feel a little nervous about the port area but I'm not feeling it so it must be ok. My chiro told me its the worst thing for my back - sleeping on the tummy - but I can't break it.

Have a good day ladies - I'll talk with you later!

Hi ladies,

I am just posting a quick reply before I go through all the messages. I am so relieved to be up and sitting in from of this computer. I feel a 100 times better right now than I did yesterday. Far from feeling great but it is a relief to know that every day it should get better.

I am taking percocet, though I am taking as little as I can manage on, so bear with me if I seem a bit loopy. My tummy is very sore-to be expected. The gas is driving me nuts. Every time I pass some (sorry of too much info)-I want to sing out in joy. It just feels so good to get it out. Mine has not travelled to my shoulders but my tummy is super bloated. I have had a few big coughs that scared the crap out of me-expecting to see the band go flying across the room-and some nasty stuff comes out of my chest. Really thick and gross. But I know it is important to get it out.

I am not really sure if I am eating right. I have no desire and I don't know if I am hungry or if it is the gas making everything rumble. I am just sipping througgout the day. I was sipping Water this am. Had 4oz Protein shake at 8am, another 4oz at 9am, sipped Water until 11am and now I am sipping a little creamy soup...I can't do too much at any one time.

I am walking around my house and was standing for a good 45 minutes or so doing some things which made me feel a little less gassy than when I just lay in my bed.

Can I just say that the hospital staff at Beth Israel in Boston are the most phenomenal people I have ever come into contact with? The first thing out of my mouth when I woke up was "how was my liver?". I was so paranoid about it being fatty. The surgeon said it was beautiful and he was so proud of my 18 pound weight loss. I am like a kid-and totalyl eating up the priase. haha.

The pre-op nurse was so wonderful and comforted my fears. I cried on the way in to the hospital because I was really really scared, but once I was there, things totally lightened up.

I am just so relieved and excited for my new life to begin. I am up 2 pounds since Monday but I am totally not concerned about the weight right now.I know it iwll come off in time and this is all about healing and learning how to live with this amazing tool.

Take care everyone...I am off to read a few posts and then take a nap. Thanks for letting me babble.

Love to you all!

Kay, glad to hear you're up and about!! I know what you mean about the gas thing! LOL....who knew we'd get so excited about it, huh??

Beth Israel is a great hospital! My Mom was treated there when she had breast cancer years ago (and is now 100% cancer free). Do you live in Boston?? I grew up in Concord, and lived near Fenway for a few years when I was in grad school.

Steph C, Thanks for the warm welcome! I can't WAIT To sleep on my belly again too! My chiro told me the same thing that its not good for me, but I just can't help it! I wonder if it has to do with the way our parents put us in our cribs as babys?? Anyways, I'm at least able to get on my side now and support my tummy w/a pillow and sleep that way...progress I think!

Ok, can I ask you all a question?? I would think that I would have dropped a lot of weight since the surgery, but it seems its only 4 pounds or so. Another friend of mine said he gained weight in the first few days? Do you all know why this is?? When does it start dropping again??

I know the first 6 weeks are for healing, but dang....I'm eating so little it's a bit frustrating to see the scale hardly budging!

kristin, I think it seems we gain weight because we are so swollen, well atleast I am in my tummy area.

today I moved onto full liquids, I think I may have posted about it already, don't remember, i had about 3 oz of very watered down Tomato Soup and actually loved it and got full. Gas is moving to my neck and shoulder, lots of gas x here, seems to have helped.

the recital was so adorable!! we only stayed long enough for her to dance so about 20 minutes. I was so sore sitting down in the chair. any my 1 yr. old cried nonstop because she wants me to pick her up, but I can't. It's too painful.

You guys that are banded , do you feel weird now that you can't eat. Like today I passed the chicken man, he makes these yummy rotisserie chickens which are my fav and it was like a habit to get some, then my husband brought home Pad thai my favorite so I was a little sad about that. I can't explain it, but it feels like i broke up with my best friend, I just keep thinking of things to eat out of habit. you know? I'm not hungry, but i just eat out of bordom i guess

sweethot, I figured it was due to the swelling too....I swear, I looked at my belly and thought to myself "am I really this big or is this swelling"? ;-)

Luckily it's swelling (mostly).

Yes, I miss food alot!!! As my sister and I were driving around on Saturday, I looked at every single restaurant we passed and just wished that I could eat there!

I have a dinner date tomorrow night....luckily the guy knows I'm still on liquids, so when he asked where I wanted to go, I said "anywhere that has soup" LOL But....hopefully no free bread on the table b/c that used to be my big downfall!! So hopefully I'll do OK and not be too tempted....I know, I'm really torturing myself by going out so soon, but what can I say? I like the guy! LOL

I keep seeing people mention mushies, and my doctor told me that I can be on pureed food in about a week, is there any difference in the food stages? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sweethot, I know what you mean about feeling like I broke up with food. Everyone around me is enjoying these great foods and just the smell is driving me crazy. But, I am not physically hungry. I think the swelling is causing enough restriction right now that just the Clear Liquids are keeping me from hunger today. Still, I want to get to the point where I see food and and don't give it a second thought!

Anyways, 2 days post op and healing up just fine. Still some pain but most of the gas pain is gone and I'm just sorta sore. Honestly the gas pain right after surgery was worse than any of the incision pains.

Hope everyone else isn't having as much problem with the dang Christmas goodies I am. Everyone is so giving with FOOD this time of year!!! This is the first Christmas season I dread hearing the doorbell ring because I know its another plate of goodies I can't have. Oh well, I'll survive!