Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-VSG meal amounts = Normal Servings

I think a lot of us who are contemplating VSG or getting prepared for surgery have a lot of pangs about how much food we're going to be able to eat or how we'll miss this food or that food. Well, I had an Ah-ha moment today! The amount of food we're going to be able to eat after VSG, down the road 5-6 months, is really the amount that most "recommended servings" for healthy people really are. I used to laugh when Dr. Oz would say "a serving of almonds is 10-12 almonds", but he's right! "Normal" healthy/fit people don't eat a whole can of almonds for a snack, they eat 10-15, maybe. They don't eat 16oz of steak, they eat maybe 6oz. So, I realized that I won't be eating the massive amounts I used to, but still able to eat yummy foods in small, reasonable amounts, which is just the "normal", healthy thing to do and something I've not been able to do on my own. It's not going to be the end of the world and I have no need to worry about mourning food.

I feel better now that I can see it this way very clearly.

The amount of food we're going to be able to eat after VSG, down the road 5-6 months, is really the amount that most "recommended servings" for healthy people really are. I used to laugh when Dr. Oz would say "a serving of almonds is 10-12 almonds", but he's right!

Being pre-op, I've had the same concerns over how much(or more like, how little) I'll be able to eat after surgery. This is a great new perspective to take though...and true! Thanks for spreading the Ah-Ha! around. :)

It's amazing how quickly my perspective changed after surgery. My normal intake is about 1/4-1/3 cup of food at a time. When I've gone out to lunch with coworkers, it always amazes me how HUGE the portions seem now. I go home with enough food for another 2 or 3 meals and they've all cleaned their plates. I can't even fathom eating that much food at one time any more.

TheGamer,

That's awesome, right? We all want or wanted that control and the VSG can give it to us. I know it won't be easy, but I think if I have the sleeve and strive to re-learn what a portion of food is, I can do it.

Yup! I love the fact that (illnesses aside *grumble*) I can determine what I eat. I had low carb wrap gyros, even! I didn't really eat the wrap, but it took me two days of lunch and dinner to eat one normal lunch :D

It's amazing how quickly my perspective changed after surgery. My normal intake is about 1/4-1/3 cup of food at a time. When I've gone out to lunch with coworkers, it always amazes me how HUGE the portions seem now. I go home with enough food for another 2 or 3 meals and they've all cleaned their plates. I can't even fathom eating that much food at one time any more.

I agree with you. I am shocked with the copiuos amounts of food that my coworkers eat. They literally shovel it in in huge mouthfuls and barely chew. Now I was banded previously for 5 years so I guess my eating habits changed a long time ago. I guess this was me too at one time. How sad I am for myself.

I think of this every morning when I eat my 1.5 cups of cottage cheese and still feel like I could down another cup. Can't wait until 1/2 cup is filling. I don't WANT to eat 1.5 cups of cottage cheese, It's not like it's a food I enjoy pigging out on...but that's what it takes right now to have any kind of satiety

My husband and I eat out a fair amount sometimes due to business trips/conferences, etc. I can't tell you how many times some thinner woman in the group has ordered an appetizer for her entree - say 2-3 scallops or 1 crab cake and I've thought WTH? But, I always wanted to be that woman who could enjoy a dinner without ordering the 12 oz filet and all the sides! The thinner gals would be having a little side salad, having an appetizer for dinner and maybe a one-spoonful taste of someones dessert. If I had that control I would've been doing the same thing and feeling proud and confident of myself and I wouldn't be here now with a closet of clothes in a range of sizes. :lol: So, while some people are really worried or disappointed about what it's like to eat out, I'm actually looking forward to it. I told my friend that it will be refreshing to order the "pretty" food (meaning not the gargantuan plate of grub) and eat what I like and take the rest home. My sister who's about 3 months post-vsg, makes 3 lunches out of one lunch out with co-workers and if there's still more left, throws it away. Luckily, she works with 2 gals who are sleeved/banded!

It's fun to read everyone's experiences, this forum is great!