Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger between meals

I was sleeved on 1/21 and am FINALLY transitioning back onto food with taste and flavor. I made myself some grilled salmon tonight and it was great. Soft and easy going down, tasty, and high in Protein. I ate about 3oz at a slow(er) pace before I got somewhat full. After about 10 minutes I got another 1 oz down and I was DONE! Stuffed at the edge of discomfort.

That was at 6:30PM. It is 9:40 now I'm hungry again. I could go and grab a sugar free Jello or pudding but I'm concerned that this will lead to bad habits since this diet wants you to have 3 meals a day. I don't want to turn into a grazer. I'm drinking my Water but it isn't helping much.

Is this common?

My wife and I both had the sleeve. Our surgeon told us to eat every 3 hours. Consisting of 3small meals and then proper Snacks in between.

A SF Jello won't hurt you. Are you on a PPI? My bigger concern is that you feel "hungry" so quickly after eating a solid meal. Don't get me wrong, there are people here that never lose the hunger. But it's far more common for people to have NO appetite at all. I do not say this to concern you or so you'll start to think something is wrong. But be sure that you're on a PPI like Nexium or Prilosec, because the noisy, gurgling acid does feel like a hungry stomach.

Also be sure that you're actually hungry..not just eating at night because it's what you used to do, or because you'd like a snack when you're watching television or something. Curbing head hunger from the very beginning will only help you in the end.

But if you're hungry, the biggest thing is to eat! I'd recommend tracking your calories daily. That way if you're hungry or want a snack later in the day you know if you have calories to afford - and if you want a small meal or a small snack. Many days I'd hit the evening and feel like I should eat something, only to realize I was several hundred calories short of my daily goal. That's a meal, not a snack! Oh, and Protein shakes or sludge are always great before bed Snacks because they stave off the hunger, fill the sweet tooth and give you an extra Protein boost for the day. :)

I eat about every three to four hours (when I remember to eat!) and to me it's normal to feel a need to eat again a few hours after a meal. While that salmon might have seemed like a substantial meal, especially so newly onto real food, I doubt it was enough to tide you over for twelve hours!

Good luck, and congrats on your new sleeve,

~Cheri

I agree with Cheri. My nut wants me eating 5-6 small meals of no more than a 1/4 at at time. I also forget to eat on time as well, but I do need to eat every 3 hours or so. Not sure about just eating 3 meals a day after being sleeved. I'm also on Nexium at least for the next month. I may keep that going though as it does help quite a bit.

o was advised to eat 3meals withtwo snacksin between..i think it keeps our metabolism cooking along and gives body the energy out needs. it's difficult to fit the liquid with the half hour break on either side.

I agree with everyone on this thread. Eating every 3 hours has worked really well to keep hunger at bay, energy constant, insulin levels flat and a general sense of well being. Your meals will start out at 1-2 ounces of Protein after 1st month, but should increase to 3-4 ounces by 6 months. I like to have shakes for morning and bedtime meals, simple protein for mid morning and after noon Snacks, and a mixture of protein and veggies for lunch and dinner. I am eating between 900-1000 calories at 7 months out (exercise an hour a day also), but do remember only hitting 300-500 calories for first few months with exercise primarily being different types of walks. My exercise did not get serious until about month 5. I now try and eat more low glycemic carbs to help my cardio and strength training, but only before my exercise; otherwise, I am eating pretty clean protein most of the time.

I eat every three to four hours w Snacks in between. Like almonds or sugar free popsicles.

I eat every three to four hours w Snacks in between. Like almonds or sugar free popsicles.

It is a good thing you mentioned Snacks in between the meals. First, I thought you meant snacks as one of the 5-6 meals a day but the reread it to mean snacks in between 5-6 meals a day.

Even though I eat 5-6 meals a day (100-200 calories each), I will get hungry in between. Instead of starving, I have some extra Protein (eg 1 sausage link) to quiet the hunger. I think my hunger is increasing more now because I am exercising more. I also might have an extra Calcium chew or Fiber Gummy if I need something a little sweet. They only are Max 15 calories each and sometimes do the trick. Sometimes drinking Water will get me through the hungry spells. I am definitely more hungry now then I was in the first 5 months. Even though I am eating occasional "snacks" on top of my meals, I do not feel it is an issue because I am still dropping 2-3 a week (will need to stop dropping soon or will get the underweight look).

well, its hard to say.

What I really wanted to say something about was the going back to the fish. You do not wan't to do that. When you are comfortable and have had enough you should stop and put it away, don't go back to it ten or twenty minutes later to have more - because you could honestly do that all day. It probably doesnt seem like grazing but thats what that is. You should be comfortably unhungry when you stop eating, not full, not stuffed.

I would encourage you to examine if what you are feeling is really hunger or if it is thirst, or if you just have a pattern of snacking and psychologically, that 4 ounces of fish just wasn't doing it for you.

If you are truly hungry you should probably switch to something more substantial to snack on then pudding, and Jello. a harder cheese, a 2 oz piece of chicken, a small salad even. I try to have at least three premade salads in my fridge at all times. They have 3oz lettuce, 1 oz of tuna and 28 grams of cheese. I usually have half at a time with greek yogurt ranch dressing. One is a meal, half is usually a snack.

I eat 5-6 meals a day. I eat every 2-3 hours because when I skip meals I tend to stall also. I don't really feel hungry but I can definitely tell when I need to eat because I start feeling a little dizzy or sleepy. I also try to drink about 12 oz of Water before my meal so that I'm not thirsty soon after I complete my meal. My last meal is right before bed (I can't sleep when my body is hungry) and I put a glass of water next to me and I drink that throughout the night.

I eat 5-6 meals a day. I eat every 2-3 hours because when I skip meals I tend to stall also. I don't really feel hungry but I can definitely tell when I need to eat because I start feeling a little dizzy or sleepy. I also try to drink about 12 oz of Water before my meal so that I'm not thirsty soon after I complete my meal. My last meal is right before bed (I can't sleep when my body is hungry) and I put a glass of Water next to me and I drink that throughout the night.

Yes, I have noticed also the same stall that comes after not eating meal #6 (bedtime). I need to force myself to do it because often times I am not hungry at that time. The Protein at bedtime is really helpful in keeping the engine running during sleep time. I am going to get back in that habit of a Protein shake at 9pm.

I agree w you all that said eat every three hrs it has help me a lot since I stop the shake cause I couldn't take them any more so I'm trying eat nothing but Protein and its possible that your truly hungry just cause other aren't don't mean your not .. It's a learning process I'm still tryna figure how much to eat I kno 2oz but I don't weigh my food I'm tryna be as normal as anyone it's enough chore to keep up w fluids but you figure out