Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for possible "yucky stuff" after surgery

I've learned from VST that some people recover from surgery easily, while others have a harder path. Since I'll be in Mexico alone (no one to run down to Walmart for me), I'd like to have things on hand that would help if I have yucky stuff.

1. I know that gas will be an issue, so I'll have gas-x strips, and I'll walk, walk, walk. How soon after surgery can I take a PPI?

2. My biggest worry is nausea and vomiting. I've read that some people have an ear patch, while others use reglen (spelling?). Any other options?

3. It is unlikely, but possible, that my pain level will require something stronger than tylenol. Since I'm in Mexico, what should I get "just in case"?

Thanks so much for sharing!

As far as pain, I was on a morphine PCA pump the day of surgery and it was discontinued the next morning then they switched me to liquid loratab (like vicodin). I used that for about three or four days then switched to liquid tylenol. That was good enough then. Maybe you could get a RX from your Dr before you go for the liquid loratab so you can use it after.

I was on Clear Liquids for three days post op so that shouldn't be too hard to bring with you till you come home. Get some hi Protein instant Soups and bring them with. Also so sugar free Jello.< /p>

I only had nausea while on the PCA pump after that no nausea and have never gotten sick. Just be kind to your pouch and only sip.

Good luck!

Best wishes on your journey!!

One thing you may want to bring with you is a heating pad!!! It was a life saver for me. Really helped with the gas pains.

As far as nausea and pain... They will give you medicine in the hospital to take care of that. They gave me reglan and toradol in my IV and a pain shot when it got bad. They also gave me toradol to come with.

They gave me pain meds, anti-nausea, antibiotics, etc. before surgery and then after I had IV of all of that plus antacids. Then, I purchased a packet of stuff that they have put together for post-op:

- pain medicine for 4 days then they recommend tylenol 3 X per day or as needed

- antacids for 2 months

- anti-nausea for 2 weeks

- antibiotics for 5 days

I brought with me Jello and Protein packets. If you can't make it to the Walmart, ask one of your fellow patients companions to buy you liquid yogurt. Everyone is very helpful and supportive of each other.

Mary

Under the link:

PRE-Operation Gastric Sleeve Surgery (VSG) Questions & Answers

Click on the thread:

The Official What You Will Need For Your Gastric Sleeve Surgery Thread!

I checked this out yesterday and received lots of good info!!

Your surgeon in Mexico will definitely give you pain meds. You will barely be able to drink your Water and broth so I don't think you will need any other foods i.e. yogurt. Maybe some crystal light if you like for your water but for me right after surgery all of these sweet drinks I couldn't tolerate. My surgeon also gave me two bottles of gatorade. Meds in Mexico are also very inexpensive so depending on if you have to pay in the U.S. you may want to just by some there.

I suggest to walk as soon as you can after surgery, I had no gas pain and my pain was minimal. I actually walked most of the night as I had slept all day waiting for my surgery time.

Best wishes

Either brush up on your Spanish or make sure you have a translator on your phone... After your doc and RN leave for the night you will only have Spanish speaking staff... My friend was sleeved by Alvarez in Mexico she never had issues other than the language barrier after he and his staff left... Good luck! You will be great!

Either brush up on your Spanish or make sure you have a translator on your phone... After your doc and RN leave for the night you will only have Spanish speaking staff... My friend was sleeved by Alvarez in Mexico she never had issues other than the language barrier after he and his staff left... Good luck! You will be great!

WordReference is a great app/website for this.

Please keep in mind that you shouldn't try to take any narcotics IN or OUT of Mexico!! Even if they are prescription, and your name is on it...wouldn't take the chance!