Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does more restriction on liquids occur further out?

I am almost 2 weeks out from surgery and have no issues drinking liquids. I can drink hot or cold and can take 5-6 big gulps at a time, wait a minute or two and take another 5-6 gulps. I can down my morning Protein shake in a matter of minutes and easily get my Water intake daily. Actually just about any food I have tried post-op has gone down and stayed down without any issue.

Will this stay like this or will I feel more restriction down the road when it comes to liquids. I really like the way I can drink with no issues... hope restriction on liquids wont develop.

thanks

Wow! That is weird. I did not experience this. I would LOVE to gulp Water but if I do get some strange feeling and feels like coming back up. I could only have warm but sure others could have cold. I struggled for 2 weeks to even get fluids in.

If you feel this way now be careful. Why are you gulping? Remember to think about your food/drink and really taste it. I have really had to work hard at tasting food and enjoying the flavor vs. the amount. Before you know it.... May come back up

Good luck and slow down. This journey is a mental ride to break our relationship with good .

This lack of restriction only applies to Water or Water with crystal light mixed in. I feel plenty of restriction when it comes to anything else.

I am not chugging down my liquids... its more of a decent gulp, wait a second and take another... I can do this 5-6 times before I feel a little restriction so I stop. If I wait a couple minutes I can do it all over again.

I just hope that is stays like this because I like the ability to be able to drink a decent amount of water without any issues.

I don't have the restriction with liquids either. I am only 16 days post op, but people have told me that the restriction will be there with solids. We are lucky we aren't having a problem with liquids! I admit I also gulp, but it is more like 1-3 gulps. Still, I agree with Tawnie that you (we) need to slow down. I know if I drink my thicker Soups too fast I am stuffed after I'm done. Whereas if I slow down I am more aware of my tummy getting full. I haven't tried any food yet. I still have another week on full liquids. Good luck!

I have no issues with liquids but was told to sip not gulp so you don't put too much pressure on your new staple line in you stomach....they don't want too much pressure on it so it can heal.

I rarely have problems with liquids, but sometimes you get full fast and it's like a drain that won't clear really quickly.. I've basically retrained myself not to gulp. Its hard to do, especially when you've been working out or gotten really hot. What I do is swish before I swallow and that keeps me from gulping too fast. There have been times when I have totally forgotten that I have a sleeve and just get a big old gulp of something. Sometimes it is fine sometimes not so much.

Two words, "slow down". As others have said your stomach has just gone through a major trauma and is healing. Secondly by slowing down and being conscious of what you are doing is going to prepare you for your new eating style. No more gulps and when you get to your pureed stage small 1/4 teaspoon bites and eat slowly.

Even though you can gulp be careful. Also contact your coordinator or Dr Velasco, I am sure that they will tell you the same.

Best wishes

2 weeks out .

mikeross

hey dude, whats your hurry???? do you have to catch a bus :lol:

your tummy isn't going anywhere - slow down, this is not a race!!!!

first one to down that Protein shake is not the winner! ;)

take a breath, slow down - gotta be nice to your new tummy - its just a baby - take care of

it, pamper it talk to it!!! :)

you just had major surgery!!!!

even though you can do something (gulp, eat) - doesn't mean you should :)

i was told not to gulp drinks down for quite awhile (couple of months?)

wonderful,wonderful that you have no prob with getting your Protein shakes in/all your liquids too :)

"many' of us have trouble drinking Protein Shakes do to the taste (blah! :angry:)

glad you like the shakes :)

you will start to feel your restriction once you eat solids

"any food I have tried post-op has gone down and stayed down without any issue."

mike, at 2 weeks what are you eating??? people usually have a clear liquid stage, full liquid, pureed', soft food, THEN solids???t=

this period usually lasts a few weeks-but many NUTS have different guidelines

Amazons post above sums everything up really well :)

call your co-ordinator/surgeon for assistance

many sleevers find support groups, other people can give tips, help - be there for each other

you could check with local hospital (even though you weren't sleeved there)i'm sure they would help you :)

read the board for help, tips et al

come back with all your questions

we don't bite (usually ;) )

take care

good luck guy

Mike,

I am 6 weeks out. I can gulp easily if I choose to but yes it's not what we are instructed. However if I eat two or three bites of anything to fast Bam I'm full. I also forgot to take my Prilosec one day due to Migraine one morning. I found that without that nothing is gulped and I can't get too many bites down of anything. Good luck. It's good to be able to get all your fluids in. I consider that a plus too.

Thank you! I'm 10 days post op and totally wondering the same. Drinking has been a snap.