Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

splenic infarct and your just telling me now?!

OK, so after all my complications, etc, I saw the bariatric surgeon who did my explor lap 3 weeks postop. he said he had 2 other surgeons review my case and they do not believe i had a leak (which they could not diagnose back then either). BUT i had a splenic infarct - likely due to the omentum being placed heavily on the splenic head.....I was never told this!!!!! My local surgeon who will replace my jejujostomy tube 2-25-13....believes i did have a leak......i was too sick not to and there was t much pus. anyway, 3 more weeks with this NJ tube - i can do it. plus my Vitamin A level is 3 so that has to come up before surgery......but t least i get this tube out - the NJ placement will be on the right side this time....she cannot touch the left...adhesions, etc. so that is my update!!!

i have been n acute care nurse (blood guts and puke nurse) for 30 years, there is something very wrong about this. did you have a Ct-scan or an MRI?. you absolutely need to know if you had an infarct for your own safety. you might consider signing a release and getting all you records and test results, "just in case" it might also be helpful to find out if they cultured to "pus" and what it was. good luck, any changes seek medical care asap, please

NorcalRN, so sorry to hear about all this difficulty you are having. The things that can happen are just so surprising sometimes...even when you have seen it all and know how it goes. I've also been an RN 30 years, and I'm still surprised when I see posts like yours. I'm so impressed with your upbeat attitude. What type of recovery process/prognosis have they given you? Mad props to you for tolerating that NJ tube!!

i, too am a nurse. i had sooo many CT scans, trips to IR, and I def. had a splenic infacrt with a likely leak. the pus cultured strep and at one point, 5 ABX were hanging, but it was the Merapenin that eventually cleared the abcesses on the spleen, liver and the pneumonia. pleural effusion with empynema, well, NO fun. I also had adverse reaction from promethazine- TD which lasted 6.5 hours and was one of the worst things i have gone through. all limbs, neck, language involved. I felt it coming on and told my mom to go get my nurse. she did not know what to do...i had to tell her!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was awful. anyway, at least it went away cuz TD can show up and stay. I am lucky I guess. the NJ tube is getting more bearable, but cannot wait for 2-25-13....J tube replacement which i can handle without blinking an eye.3 weeks from tomorrow---i keep telling myself that!!!

oh and thanks to all for your comments and support. the gstroparesis (maybe vagus nerve was damaged?) - well, they have no idea what to tell me except that i will get better. that, i do believe!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I thought for sure you were a nurse, no idea what you were saying. Thank goodness there are other nurses here who will respond :wacko:

I did not mean to irritate or confuse you. By your comment and icon, it appears that I have offended you. Just like any job, jargon, etc comes with the job. No offense was intended. Yes, "thank goodness" other nurses respond..the more education for all of us - the better. I have found the internet to have legit. websites that I can utilize when I do not understand something. Give it a try!!! Oh, and you can always ask the *poster* to clarify if your are confused. I do hope your journey is a healthy one! :)

NORCALRN, just checking in to see how it's going. A couple days closer to your j-tube placement, I know you are counting the days! I don't think I would be as good as you....when I got back to my room in the hospital I sat up and took the 02, pulse ox, BP cuff off and threw them like a 2 year old because they were aggravating me (I'm glad I wasn't my nurse at that minute, lol). I was in PACU 5 hours for pain management issues so I was sick of it...so my tolerance is pretty low ;)

I was very glad to hear that you have a positive prognosis and that you are feeling it, too! It's funny how we just know, sometimes, isn't it? How is everything else clearing up for you?

Keep us posted. Sending well wishes your way!

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to share that I also had a splenic infarct. I was admitted to the ER within 8 hours of discharge. I had excellent and swift care that evening and the infarct was found rather quickly with a CT scan. I spent 2 more days in the hospital and have completely recovered. Thankfully no more complications. I'm astounded that you weren't informed of the infarct. I hope you are feeling better at this point.

Hi! Sorry but what means a splenic infarct?

It is when blood flow is cut off to part of the spleen. In my case, it was 20% of my spleen. I'm perfectly fine now with no ill effects. They suspected it was from a blood clot.

It is when blood flow is cut off to part of the spleen. In my case' date=' it was 20% of my spleen. I'm perfectly fine now with no ill effects. They suspected it was from a blood clot.[/quote']

Thanks!