Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a little discouraged after information meeting

I finally had the information meeting with my prospective surgeon last Friday. I had really been looking forward to it - but left feeling deflated. I told him I was worried about not being able to walk with my rheumatoid arthritis if I can't take ibuprofen. He never answered me regarding that issue - just said the need for other RA meds would decrease. I also think I will need a lot of support after the surgery because I think it will be very difficult psychologically. He never mentioned a support group so I asked if they had one "yes, we do," was the only response - no additional information whatsoever. In general, I felt like he didn't really address my concerns, I got the feeling there would not be much after care.

I have decided to get a consultation with another surgeon. I know that the one I went to is very talented surgically, but after the surgery I don't think he'll really be there. There was another patient there who wanted to schedule a band to sleeve revision and the Dr. told him he looked familiar - the patient said "you did my lap band and I saw you referred me for an EGD last month." Kind of felt like we were just warm bodies sitting there.

Maybe I'm wrong- maybe that's how all surgeons are and I am just making excuses for my fear and second thoughts.

My mom went with me and kept saying she was afraid I would become an alcoholic if I wasn't able to eat junk food, and that I would be even more unhappy being thin with sagging skin than being fat.

I appreciate your thoughts

Okay so I say go with your gut. If you really don't like the surgeon go find another. Though in my experience most of them are this way. As far as the wrinkly skin goes, I have alot of wrinkly, sagging skin and I would have this anyday over being fat; clothes work wonders!!

I finally had the information meeting with my prospective surgeon last Friday. I had really been looking forward to it - but left feeling deflated. I told him I was worried about not being able to walk with my rheumatoid arthritis if I can't take ibuprofen. He never answered me regarding that issue - just said the need for other RA meds would decrease. I also think I will need a lot of support after the surgery because I think it will be very difficult psychologically. He never mentioned a support group so I asked if they had one "yes, we do," was the only response - no additional information whatsoever. In general, I felt like he didn't really address my concerns, I got the feeling there would not be much after care.

I have decided to get a consultation with another surgeon. I know that the one I went to is very talented surgically, but after the surgery I don't think he'll really be there. There was another patient there who wanted to schedule a band to sleeve revision and the Dr. told him he looked familiar - the patient said "you did my lap band and I saw you referred me for an EGD last month." Kind of felt like we were just warm bodies sitting there.

Maybe I'm wrong- maybe that's how all surgeons are and I am just making excuses for my fear and second thoughts.

My mom went with me and kept saying she was afraid I would become an alcoholic if I wasn't able to eat junk food, and that I would be even more unhappy being thin with sagging skin than being fat.

I appreciate your thoughts

I think most surgeons are a little distant from their patients....I even joked about it to my surgeon and he laughed and agreed good naturedly. I have not even seen my surgeon since my surgery. Hell, I did not even see him the day of my surgery! In my practice, basically everything goes through the nurse practitioner and nutritionist after surgery (and definitely before surgery). They run the show.

If it was me, I'd choose the best surgeon as long as his staff was interested and engaged.

Okay so I say go with your gut. If you really don't like the surgeon go find another. Though in my experience most of them are this way. As far as the wrinkly skin goes, I have alot of wrinkly, sagging skin and I would have this anyday over being fat; clothes work wonders!!

And Shapewear !!

I finally had the information meeting with my prospective surgeon last Friday. I had really been looking forward to it - but left feeling deflated. I told him I was worried about not being able to walk with my rheumatoid arthritis if I can't take ibuprofen. He never answered me regarding that issue - just said the need for other RA meds would decrease. I also think I will need a lot of support after the surgery because I think it will be very difficult psychologically. He never mentioned a support group so I asked if they had one "yes' date=' we do," was the only response - no additional information whatsoever. In general, I felt like he didn't really address my concerns, I got the feeling there would not be much after care.

I appreciate your thoughts[/quote']

I totally agree that u should have a surgeon you are comfortable with and answers all your questions and concerns. It cant be understood that a doctor sees alot of patients but somethings you remember specially when you've done work on a patient.

I see why ur mom is concern about ur mental health. Its very important get have support before and after, to feel your not alone. I wish u the best and i hope u find a great surgeon.

You're smart to go to another consult. This is a life-changing decision, and you need to feel comfortable going into it! You had valid questions and were being smart enough to think about your life after sleeve, you should get answers that assure you!

Dana's right -- I get it that a surgeon cannot be all things to all people, but I think a really good surgeon should know the importance of surrounding himself with a team of qualified, quality people who can help you feel comfortable with your decision. Maybe he does just think of his patients as warm bodies....but if he's not a 'people person' , he should have a coordinator or NP or NUT or director or someone that is able to relate to you as a person.

Amazon13 is right -- go with your gut feeling. I personally chose my surgeon because he has a big team and a whole comprehensive program to help ensure my long term success. Him cutting my tummy is just the beginning of a big process that will involve psych/ NUT/ exercise counseling AND support groups.

I know your mom was probably joking about the alcoholic remark, but honestly (and I don't mean to be a bummer) I think that without the proper emotional / mental support, there actually is a danger that WLS folks can turn to alcohol to replace their food addiction. I haven't seen too too much about it on VST but have read about it elsewhere. . .I think it's called 'transfer addiction' and it's real for WLS patients, so something to keep in mind. . .

I guess I see a real benefit with the 6 month program with Kaiser. One of the requirements is to attend a support group session. I went to my first one in October and have continued to go to them (it's on a monthly basis). My surgery is not til Feb 21st. A suggestion is to try googling your area for a support group and if you can't find one, I think this site is a start. I find it very helpful to hear other patients that have gone to the same surgeon tell me their experiences.

Good luck with finding the surgeon you're comfortable with.

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. I am definitely addicted to carbohydrates - so, unfortunately, my mom was not joking - she is really concerned about what I will do to cope with stress if I can't eat chocolate, etc.

I am going to go to a second surgeon. If I don't feel comfortable there, then maybe I'm just not ready. I know this is not something you can undo and I want to be 100% sure before I take the plunge.

I agree with JustSleeveIt. I loved Kaiser's program, both pre-op and follow up. Yes, most surgeons are not the best with people, but a good program will include a nutritionist and a therapist. My program also had an entire handbook of information, and we had a case manager and a general medical doctor that we see after the 6 week post-op at 3 months, 6 months, and annually after that.

Lynda

Wow - that sounds great. That's what I need to find - a comprehensive program. I will look for something like that in my area.