Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too emotional and moody?

Post op day #8. Why am I way toooo emotional??? This is so not me at all and i don't like being it at all. Did anyone else get mood swings and emotional like this? It's like my hormones are on hyperdrive or PMs.

I know i read about this--- but am curious if anyone else actually experienced it other than me. Thanks!

I have noticed a lot of people on here freshly post op seem to be in a state of emotional fragility. I think its normal. I'm only 2 days post op so everything is sort of new to me and I have been so focused on getting my liquids in and walking and doing all that so I havent really had time to think about how I am emotionally. I think a month post op the newness is wearing off and life as it is going to be is starring you in the face. I don't know how you feel about that but I recently suggested to someone else to take up a hobby, and I stand by that for this type of thing as well. We need something to put our energy into that we used to spend with food, eating, and obsessing.

Right now I am learning how to do a real manicure on myself, totally shallow and meaningless but its something to do.

I've had mood swings since week3. Irritated that others are eating/drinking while i'm stuck on liquids/mushees. How much fat mentality do i have? Lashing out at people who are trying to keep me on my diet plan and then being ok the next 10min and thankful they were just trying to guide me. I need someone to remind me, but not EVERY.SINGLE.TIME i go near a table/kitchen/fridge!!! :angry: I chalked it up to recognizing that my lifestyle is changing and has to be for a better me. No sodas, and yet feeling angry/jealousy when i *hear* a soda top pop. I haven't really been on a depressed/sad emotional state, more like irritable/edgy and just plain no filter from brain to mouth lately. It's getting better as I have accepted this was my choice, and it's for the best.

Sorry for the rant/babble...dont' know if I even helped out here...

I have never had PMS problems, but being 5 weeks out and due for TOM everyone in my house has noticed how snappy I've been. I've told them it's my hormones and they don't see why surgery would cause that.....but then again they don't understand crap! ...see, there I go again. :) If it continues I will talk to my Dr. about it, maybe up my anxiety meds or something, because I don't like being like that.

I have noticed a lot of people on here freshly post op seem to be in a state of emotional fragility. I think its normal. I'm only 2 days post op so everything is sort of new to me and I have been so focused on getting my liquids in and walking and doing all that so I havent really had time to think about how I am emotionally. I think a month post op the newness is wearing off and life as it is going to be is starring you in the face. I don't know how you feel about that but I recently suggested to someone else to take up a hobby' date=' and I stand by that for this type of thing as well. We need something to put our energy into that we used to spend with food, eating, and obsessing.

Right now I am learning how to do a real manicure on myself, totally shallow and meaningless but its something to do.[/quote']

Piggybacking on that- moodiness is common. Like hairloss, a changed libido, and change in fertility we can blame the estrogen for this!(Yes! Elevated levels of estrogen cause hairloss!) Fat cells are full of it so expect some hormonal craziness it's normal :) I, for one, am a few months out and am losing my mind! I have an appointment to speak with my surgeon and gun about it.

OMG my *gyn. I don't even own a gun lol

That's funny!! PostSleevers w PMS...beware 'cause she's got a gun!!! J/k!! Nobody blast me.

Yeah, it can be rough. I'm 5 months out and every once in awhile my husband knows just to duck & get outta my way. And pre-sur i was as steady as a rock.

Hahaha lol!!! This is so funny Liz! I am happy to hear from you! I know you've been through a looooot.. And thanks for sharing! Im glad to know that I'm not the only one who is actually experiencing this. And I never had these issues before either, so it's surprising. I'm keeping myself busy. Lol! I dont even have any idle moment- reading a lot, doing homework for grad school, light exercises and cooking healthier for the family. But I agree that it's hormones, and my body is adjusting to everything. I'll take it easy , one day and one pound at a time. Get well my VSG sister! May God keep you safe and heal you as new!

Hahaha lol!!! This is so funny Liz! I am happy to hear from you! I know you've been through a looooot.. And thanks for sharing! Im glad to know that I'm not the only one who is actually experiencing this. And I never had these issues before either' date=' so it's surprising. I'm keeping myself busy. Lol! I dont even have any idle moment- reading a lot, doing homework for grad school, light exercises and cooking healthier for the family. But I agree that it's hormones, and my body is adjusting to everything. I'll take it easy , one day and one pound at a time. Get well my VSG sister! May God keep you safe and heal you as new![/quote']

Aside from the hormonal craziness I'm doing much better :) I've reached a stall and for the most part I dont even care, I'm just glad I can eat! Glad to be alive!

I dunno of you're dealing with this too but I run ht and cold, literally. My thermostat doesn't change in our house but yesterday I was frozen and today I'm on fire! I'm 26 and having hot flashes :)

Hope you're well, lovely!

Hehehe :)

Aside from the hormonal craziness I'm doing much better :) I've reached a stall and for the most part I dont even care' date=' I'm just glad I can eat! Glad to be alive!

I dunno of you're dealing with this too but I run ht and cold, literally. My thermostat doesn't change in our house but yesterday I was frozen and today I'm on fire! I'm 26 and having hot flashes :)

Hope you're well, lovely![/quote']

Hi Liz!

I am always cold, that's old news for me. But hot flashes are new! My body cant decide if its hot or cold ;) I am 37 and thinking am I going through menopause yet? Nope, Md said there's a lot of hormonal changes as the body adjusts and the weight drops- so I'll just hang in there. Just like you I don't obsess about the scale, my body is getting looser, sizes are dropping, the numbers will fall eventually.

Honestly, I haven't had a loss of 5lbs within the last two decades so any weight loss at this point is wonderful! . The best deal is my bp, sugar, and cholesterol are going down --so for that I am thankful. Take care and keep us posted okay ;)

I'm almost 6 weeks post-up and I discussed this with my surgeon today. Only this past week have I been very emotional. I cried once for no reason at all, felt so tired, one day I didn't even want to get out of bed nor care to eat or drink anything.

I asked about hormones (especially since I have PCOS) but he says hormonal issues occur after a more massive weight loss like 70+ pounds. So I don't know. He said I'm having a hard time parting with food. But although I enjoyed food so much before surgery, I was a volume eater, it didn't matter what it was and I always ate convenient food since caring about eating was a hassle for me. I don't miss food so much. Sure I miss pizza and soda, but it's totally manageable.

I've also looked into becoming more grumpy/depressed after being on a high protein/low carb diet like Atkins. It's possible for some, that low carb diets can cause mood swings and depression. And I think that pertains to me. My surgeon said that if it continues, it will fall on me to make sure I go see a psychiatrist or my GP to see if I need antidepressants.

I just hope I will never need to and things will get better with time. I hope your moods improve, and maybe it would help to talk to someone if you can!

I've also looked into becoming more grumpy/depressed after being on a high protein/low carb diet like Atkins.< /p>

While I expect a lot of it is hormone change, I sort of see it also as coming off of a lifetime addiction. Watching people I love battle drug and alcohol addiction, I know that extreme irritability, depression and mood swings are all part of the package when you try to detox or break an addiction.

Specifically on Atkins, I did induction for 2 weeks and I was such an emotional, irritable mess I couldn't handle it and I had to stop and revert back. Once I brought carbs and sugar back into my diet it was as though I was magically re-aligned again.

Was very bitchy first couple weeks !!! I think it was because I felt like I was starving all the time!