Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk to me about... BROTH!

Okay kids... I actually love Soup but never make it because spouse and teenager don't like it at all... so my occassion to use broth in the past is zero. So, no idea what to look for. I've seen the "box" broth, cubes that make a broth, crystals, cans... the works! But what do you use and like? I appreciate brand names. I live in the Seattle area.

Oh, and what's the story on strained Miso Soup? I read in one thread it's a good source of protien but counts for the immediate post-op clear liquid phase too.

Thanks for your voices of experience. I'm two weeks pre-op tomorrow.

I tend to buy a product called "Better than Bouillon" which is a concentrated stock. It tastes better than all those cubes and such. I've always used this if I need stock, broth, etc. It's also very economical. 1 tsp makes 1 cup of liquid so you can make as much or as little as you'd like.

I'm no gourmet, but I like the Swanson's canned broth just fine. It's loaded with sodium, but I like the flavor.

Lynda

Thanks for the tips! I was just looking at the selection at the market and felt like one of these emoticons o.0 LOL As for high sodium content... my husband always jokes that I should just have a salt lick and be done with it!

Miso is good but really salty so I would not drink it everyday..

As far as chicken broth goes to me home made is the most flavorful and you don't need to get fancy about it. I boil a chicken in Water with salt/ pepper. after the chicken is cooked you have a great broth. Season to taste and use the chicken for the weeks cooking for the family. I shred the chicken up and top salads with it, make burritos, etc...

Swanson is definitely the best from all the cans I have tried... I started going to the Chinese food place and getting just a quart of broth which is AMAZING... And they charge me $2 cuz I don't get anything in it... And when I need a change I go to the Japanese food place and ask for the miso Soup broth...

my stables are swanson and Kirkland broth from costco but I have used butterball broth too and its fine.

I use to drink strained udon Soup so yummy

Anything pre prepared (in a can) is going to have a ton of sodium.

Honestly chicken broth is really simple to make. My wife made me a big pot of it after surgery, then we just portioned it out into 8 ounce containers so I could grab one & zap it.

Thanks a ya'll! I will keep this info handy... And try my hand at a homemade solution too.

I had the Tuscan Herb chicken broth by Progress and and use a splash to liven up reg broth. I just tried Spicy Coconut Curry Chicken Broth by College Inn. Way too much sodium, but again, a splash will help a low sodium broth and make it a little different.

Progress = Progresso!

There's a Pho place right down the street from my house where I get quart containers of pho broth and it's been one of my favorite things to satisfy the clear liquid portion of my post-op diet. chicken broth every day just wasn't doing it for me and the canned/carton beef broth I tried was kind of nasty. Go Pho!

I make my own SOOOO yummy.

Buy 2 pounds of chicken legs and 2 pounds of chicken backs. Boil in seasoned Water (I use adobo and bay leaf) for about an hour until the meat is tender and falling off. Remove the chicken from the pot, when cool enough to handle, take meat off of the the bones and use it in whatever recipe you want for your family to eat (I add it to stir-fry vegetables with a bit of oyster sauce and ginger, my BF loves it) . Throw away the skin and return the bones to the pot of seasoned Water, add an onion cut into wedges, half a fist of garlic, a couple carrots, and some celery. Gently simmer the bones and vegetables for 5 hours. Strain out the broth from the meat/veggies, don't squeeze out the bones, just let the juice drain from them naturally without force. refrigerate broth, once it is set up, take off the fat from the top which will be easy to do since the fat is hardened and the stock is like jelly. I freeze the extra in pint size containers. When I heat it up, I add two cups of water since the stock is concentrated. Add salt/pepper/garlic powder, etc to taste. From 2 pounds of legs and 2 pounds of backs, I'll get about a half gallon of stock, which when I add the water, makes about a gallon.. that's 16 cups of delicious chicken broth.

Dark meat makes better broth...like legs and backs or even thighs as mentioned. Also, you can freeze the shredded chicken and use it a few weeks post op ...pureed in the stock sounds gross but a few weeks post op. When you need heavier broth...I bet it's delish! I also use the pasty stuff in the jar...it is better than any other bullion as mentioned earlier