Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi , I'm new to this first I will introduce myself . I'm from Louisiana ,will be having my surgery in Louisiana . I went for my first visit yesterday . I have insurance but will be paying cash for it . Only because if I would claim it on my insurance I would have to wait 6 months to do it . I live overseas ( Africa) now but decided to come home and do my surgery . I need to lose 70 pounds . It's so hard to try to lose weight overseas because you have a maid and cook . I'm schedule for surgery Jan 29 . Tomorrow I go do all the lab work . I was wondering if anyone had this surgery and didnt have to do the diet before . My Dr doesn't do the pre diet . Plus its an in and out patient surgery . They put you up at a local hospital and Dr comes sees you there .

Plenty of us don't do preop diets. I think there are pluses and minuses to that.

On the one hand, a pre op diet usually means you won't lose as much the first month. You'll have already shed some of that weight beforehand. However, being able to stick to a pre op diet shows you exactly what you're in for post op, when you're on a very restrictive diet for several weeks.

That said, I think that some of these doctors think up painful pre op diets on purpose, just to torture their patients! It's so much harder to stick to a diet when you don't absolutely HAVE to do it and when the stomach is still whole and you're hungry all the time I imagine it's truly a challenge.

But it's all on your surgeon.

I also flew from overseas to have my surgery, but I went to Mexico. How long do you plan to recuperate in the states? If you're concerned, I flew back four days after surgery and while it was tiring it was fine. I got some extra shots of Lovenox to prevent clots and made sure to walk on the flights as much as possible.

I also have a maid but choose not to have a cook. I cook our food and it really does help me to know every ingredient. That said, there's nothing wrong post op with sitting down with your cook and going over a new menu of options. I bet she can make a ton of Soups that will make your liquid diet more bearable and give you more variety. Your diet should be restricted for some time while you heal, and even if your surgeon has a very lax plan you'll still find that you simply don't eat the same way as you did prior to surgery.

Good luck, and welcome.

~Cheri

I have a cook and a maid.

But my wife gives me the silent treatment when I call her that!

LOL

Rofl xD

Hi I'm also a newbie to the site and whole weightloss process. I'm from Louisiana as well and I've wanted to have the surgery for 3 years now. I had to weight until I change insurances from BCBS of Louisiana to UHC. I have started my process and have been in contact with my RN case manager at UHC. They surgeons I had in mind I had to change because with UHC you have to use a Center of Excellence so I have to go to meet with them on January 23rd. I've already started my 6month required diet and I only have to do 3 more month so by reading and blogging on VST I hope to learn alot to make my process easier.

-Dricka

Welcome to you both. You will find a lot of answers to mostly all of your questions on VST. I too am from Louisiana and I am pre op as well. The members on this site have been so supportive and informative. I am scheduled for VSG on Feb 26 in Tj Mx, as WLS is an exclusion on my BCBS of Louisiana policy. I am also a maid and a cook to four children.....wait, make that five with my husband lol!

Great job!! My friend from high school just had the sleeve done on New Year's Eve and she's down 30 lbs already!! Don't ever short change yourself!! Only the strongest people can go through something like this!! MAJOR LIFE CHANGE!!

I just got cleared from all my lab and EKG test . I will have the sleeve done on the 29 th . I'm getting a lil nervous . The weird part is I'm a 7 yr breast cancer survivor . Had a masectomy and reconstrution . Yea and I wasn't scared like I am with the sleeve . I want to wish everyone good luck !

Plenty of us don't do preop diets. I think there are pluses and minuses to that.

On the one hand' date=' a pre op diet usually means you won't lose as much the first month. You'll have already shed some of that weight beforehand. However, being able to stick to a pre op diet shows you exactly what you're in for post op, when you're on a very restrictive diet for several weeks.

That said, I think that some of these doctors think up painful pre op diets on purpose, just to torture their patients! It's so much harder to stick to a diet when you don't absolutely HAVE to do it and when the stomach is still whole and you're hungry all the time I imagine it's truly a challenge.

But it's all on your surgeon.

I also flew from overseas to have my surgery, but I went to Mexico. How long do you plan to recuperate in the states? If you're concerned, I flew back four days after surgery and while it was tiring it was fine. I got some extra shots of Lovenox to prevent clots and made sure to walk on the flights as much as possible.

I also have a maid but choose not to have a cook. I cook our food and it really does help me to know every ingredient. That said, there's nothing wrong post op with sitting down with your cook and going over a new menu of options. I bet she can make a ton of Soups that will make your liquid diet more bearable and give you more variety. Your diet should be restricted for some time while you heal, and even if your surgeon has a very lax plan you'll still find that you simply don't eat the same way as you did prior to surgery.

Good luck, and welcome.

~Cheri[/quote']

clk I plan on staying atleast a month my Dr said after a week I can go back . But its 14 hrs from Louisiana to Texas .

Sorry Louisiana to Africa

What exactly did everyone have the first week when you got home from surgery ? Because on here I see everyone had different things .

Stacie