Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sister has the band and was wondering if any one else has had a hard time losing weight with the band if they have had a hysterectomy?

She has lost 30 lbs in 3 months and I think she is doing great!! But, the Dr. wasn't real pleased with her loss. She recently went in to get a little of her fill taken out cause she couldn't eat anything and he took all of it out and told her she had to lose 10 lbs before he will give her another fill.

But, we were wondering if her hormones had anything to do with it??

Thanks ya'll!!!

Wow, I think 30lbs in 3 months is awesome! Geez, I've only lost 20lbs and it's been like 6 months. Slow but sure...

I can't believe he took out her whole fill and is lording it over her until she can lose weight on her own. Call me crazy, but if we could lose weight without the help of the band...we wouldn't need it in the first place. That just seems so wrong to me, ya know?

Kelly: I have had a complete hysterectomy and am banded. I have noticed that I don't take my hormones anymore and have NO side effects. I just increase my Calcium intake to offset the lack of Hormone therapy.

Couple of things.

1. She needs to have a serious talk with her doc about who is in charge of her body. He does not get to dictate when the fill is done or not. Only your sis can do that. He can recommend it all he wants but he has to go by what she says. If she cannot get him to understand this then it is time to find another doc.

2. As women, Estrogen is stored in the fat cells of our bodies. As we loss weight those estrogen stores are released. Therefore we need less estrogen. I think that is why I am not needing any at this point. I don't honestly think there is a correlation between a hysterectomy and being banded. If anything we are happier because we don't have the mood swings. LOL!!!

I have been banded 3 months now and have lost 40 lbs. I think the 30 lbs loss your sister has experienced is awesome. That is 10 lbs a month. That is an average of a little more than 2 lbs a week. Losing faster than that is dangerous actually. You start to lose muscle mass then and not fat. SO your sis is right on track and doing GREAT.

So, tell your sis to tell her doc to shove it. He is probably confusing her with an RNY patient and thinks she should be losing more. He needs to refill her if she wants it.

Just my opinion.

I think your sister should concider a new doctor. One that UNDERSTANDS the band and doesn't compare it to the RNY.

I'm so tired of doctors and nurses who place this thing and then figure it out later.

Your sister doesn't need that kind of blame and shame.

NEW DOCTOR!!!!!

Megan

Her Dr is the same as mine and he has never said anything to me about my weight loss and she is losing about the same as I was when I was 3 months out. He defintely knows the difference from the band and the gastric bypass. She has been really upset about him taking out her whole fill. She did get an appt for the 19th at 3:30 to get a fill. I am pretty sure he will do it for her. He has so many patients that he won't remember and I am sure he didn't write it in her chart.

I've had a complete hysterectomy too and I've had slow weight loss, but I'm not sure who's fault it is, mine or my lack of hormones. lol.

As long as I'm headed in the right direction. I really don't care how fast it is.

Leatha

30 pounds in 3 months and the Dr. is upset? Wow!

I'm 3 months out and I have lost 33 pounds my Dr. is very pleased with my weight loss. 30 pounds in 3 months is great. Your sister is doing just fine. I was told 1-3 pounds a week and thats exactly what I have been losing.. She is doing something right.

That must be difficult for your sister! No matter how much we say the doctor is unreasonable, he still plays the role of an authority figure. It sounds like he wants to punish her for wanting less fill. That's absurd!

It sounds like she is doing great. I hope she can just ignore her doctor's strange behavior.

I have had a partial hyster, still have all the hormones, and am doing fine with weight loss. I'm actually trying to slow down a bit from the liquid phase. I've been surprised that the weight is coming off so well at my age!

Kelly,

I have had a total hysterectomy and the nutrionist told me that my weight loss may be slower than some. I just think we are all different. 30 pounds in 3 months is awesome. At least the scale is going down. Tell her to keep up the good work, losing is the goal.

Kathy

I've had a partial hysterectomy. But since losing some weight, I notice getting chilled some times. Which is wonderful for me because I've always been so very hot natured (like my internal thermostat is stuck on high heat all the time.)I may need some blood work done to check my hormone levels. I may need to adjustment myl hormone replacement dosage.

Has your sister had any bloodwork done lately... to check out various things that could have changed. (thyroid, hormones, blood sugar, anemia, etc.) I think she's doing wonderful!

I have had a total hysterectomy and am on a very high dose of Hormones as my bloods before surgery were showing very low dose in the body despite taking high doses. I am interested to see what it will be after I lose some weight and hoping to be able to reduce my HRT,so interesting to read what Penni said.

I think your sister's weight loss is great and I will be very happy if I lost that amount in that time.

Originally posted by leatha_g

I've had a complete hysterectomy too and I've had slow weight loss,

Leatha

Also, as an addendum. I was taken off of hormones back in 2000 dues to having blood clots. This may or may not have an effect on my ability to lose weight. But I definitely do have a time of it. It seems like I need far less than 1200-1500 calories a day and if I vary in any way off the path of 'good choices' it shows up on my scale immediately.

2 more cents worth..

Leatha

Kelly, even though he is your doctor, too, something is very wrong with how he dealt with your sister. Obviously, your sister got the band because she had difficulty losing weight before hand. Now the doctor has returned her to that pre-band state and has told her to lose 10 pounds before he will allow her to use the band again! It's outrageous. And, as has already been mentioned, her weight loss was great! The doctor is being disrespectful and punitive and if it were me, I would give him exactly one opportunity (free of charge) to explain himself and apologize. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a new fill doctor.

Nancy