Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubting & super worried

I'm in the process of getting WLS and I start my 4 months weight management visits the 30th of this month and I'm having big time doubts and lots of worries . I have a hiatal hernia and GERD and afraid what the results might be if I go through with this surgery. Will I feel worse ? What if I have an under lining condition that wasn't found before surgery? What if ? What if? I know it's normal to feel this way but I feel that all these worries are going to make me back away from all this surgery process. Don't know if I should just give my body a chance to lose it on its own and get medi fast meals and see how that goes . Can't exercise too much cause I get kinda scared when my heart beat raises so much . It's just like I'm trapped and can't come to a decision. Help!!!! :)

I think many of us had the same concerns to sort through. You have 4 months to settle your fears. A I can say is I know for me this was the best decision I ever made. 4 months out, down 58 lbs and have never felt better!!

I had both of those issues prior to surgery and it was fine. My surgeon fixed my hernia at the same time as the vsg.

I am almost a month out and my hiatal hernia was fixed at the same time, I didn't even know I had one. I am glad it has been fixed for sure. How much weight do you have to lose and have you been trying to lose it for some time? for me I did medifast and lost 100 lbs then gained it back did other such diets and lost the 100 lbs then gained it back. I think it depends where you are in this process, I am 51 it was this or keep having more and more health problems and not last too much longer. You may be younger and I wouldn't want you to go through what I did in my 30's and 40's. It is a tough decision and it is not an easy thing to do but the people who stood up and spoke at the support meeting I went to yesterday all said they would do it again in a heartbeat and wished they could have done it sooner. Take your four months and so some real soul searching and thinking about what you have been through already. All the best to you whatever you decide.

I'm 38 years old . 5'3 and 320 pounds. No I haven't really tried or committed myself to diet but I have changed the way I eat and eat lots more veggies , sweets here and there but even with that chance I see no weight loss , only get to lose 12 pounds then next month I'm back up 15 pounds . It's discouraging . I don't exercise much because I'm scared I might get a heart attack. I don't feel as strong as I did 7 years ago so I try to just change the way I eat but it doesn't seem to help. I mean I lose ten pounds but I'm up next month again. I also have this jiggly thing that happens from time to time and its something that feels very weird. It feels like gas but at the same time it feels like I'm out of breath from 2-3 seconds and I have to move a certain way to feel better . Do t know if its sow thing to do with my hernia and GERD cause at times it happens when I eat. Something or when I'm walking fast or out of breath. Sometimes it feels it happens and then I have a bowl movement. It's just weird and scares me at the same time. Will this happen after surgery ? Will this get fixed? Is it the hernia ? Is it not ? It's like I'm trapped! :(

I had both of those issues prior to surgery and it was fine. My surgeon fixed my hernia at the same time as the vsg.

Same here!

No worries, my surgeon calls it a 3 in 1 cocktail and when I had my sleeve surgery he repaired those things as well and I had no pain, and I healed well. My insurance paid for everything but the sleeve surgery and I had to pay 8,000.00 in cash for my sleeve, which was all worth it. My insurance would have paid for the sleeve as well, but I didn't want to go through with their criteria. I would have had to wait 18 months before they would pay for it, and my life was more important to me. I had surgery 4 1/2 months ago, and I am down over 100lbs, and happy, I would have still been waiting to have the surgery if I would have waited for my insurance company. So talk with your surgeon, and maybe he can repair those things at the same time and have the surgeon's coordinator check with your insurance company to see if they will cover it. Good luck, and you will be fine:)

I'm 38 years old . 5'3 and 320 pounds. No I haven't really tried or committed myself to diet but I have changed the way I eat and eat lots more veggies , sweets here and there but even with that chance I see no weight loss , only get to lose 12 pounds then next month I'm back up 15 pounds . It's discouraging . I don't exercise much because I'm scared I might get a heart attack. I don't feel as strong as I did 7 years ago so I try to just change the way I eat but it doesn't seem to help. I mean I lose ten pounds but I'm up next month again. I also have this jiggly thing that happens from time to time and its something that feels very weird. It feels like gas but at the same time it feels like I'm out of breath from 2-3 seconds and I have to move a certain way to feel better . Do t know if its sow thing to do with my hernia and GERD cause at times it happens when I eat. Something or when I'm walking fast or out of breath. Sometimes it feels it happens and then I have a bowl movement. It's just weird and scares me at the same time. Will this happen after surgery ? Will this get fixed? Is it the hernia ? Is it not ? It's like I'm trapped! :(

have you been to an orientation meeting or talked to your surgeon yet? sounds like the problems you are having could be related to your weight but I would check with your doctor. Many things get fixed after the surgery, it is a path to a new life of not having these physical problems related to being too heavy. You are too young to feel this way. they almost always want you to lose some weight before surgery, have they given you an amount yet? You could get started on that and will probably feel better so that you want to continue and when you decide to do the surgery you will be ready to take the plunge into better health overall.

Yes orientation was oct 26th of 2012 and my first appointment with surgeon was on dec 20th of 2012 now I have to start my 4 month weight management for insurance and I would say by August of this year I should have a surgery date or have had surgery. It's just all overwhelming and I can't and don't know what to do. Getting rid of a part of my body which I was born with is one of my biggest concerns and despite wanting to look and feel better I can't stop worrying .. Am I making the right decision? :(

.. Am I making the right decision? :(

Having WLS is a very personal decision, no one can (or should try) to answer this question for you. Do your research, look deep inside of yourself and come to a final decision concerning this life changing event.

Good luck!

Having WLS is a very personal decision, no one can (or should try) to answer this question for you. Do your research, look deep inside of yourself and come to a final decision concerning this life changing event.

Good luck!

this is great advice and you have the time to do it!

Yes orientation was oct 26th of 2012 and my first appointment with surgeon was on dec 20th of 2012 now I have to start my 4 month weight management for insurance and I would say by August of this year I should have a surgery date or have had surgery. It's just all overwhelming and I can't and don't know what to do. Getting rid of a part of my body which I was born with is one of my biggest concerns and despite wanting to look and feel better I can't stop worrying .. Am I making the right decision? :(

You have plenty of time to make a final decision. Stop worrying and start researching! Read new and old posts on this site. Read all the research you can find about this surgery. Read so much about the process, how it works and why it works that you can rattle off the facts to your friends and family. Start keeping articles in your favorites and write down info you want to remember. Get myfitnesspal up and running and start thinking about your future, your goals for your life and make a plan to acquire everything you want. Getting everyone's input put here is good, but in the end... You have to make the decision. Use the next few months wisely and by summer you will have clarity. Wishing you the very best!

Thanks so much for the advice and I am researching ALOT! Can anyone tell me how they came to a final decision? I'm afraid of doing all the research and still have doubts.. :(

Thanks so much for the advice and I am researching ALOT! Can anyone tell me how they came to a final decision? I'm afraid of doing all the research and still have doubts.. :(

I came to the final decision by weighing up my life the way it was before the surgery and the way it could be after the surgery.

I had not long graduated as a nursery teacher and couldn't get a job because of my weight.

I couldn't run around and play with my kids.

If I walked anywhere I would sweat like I was just out the shower.

I couldn't fit into any theme park rides.

When going out for meals with the family I had to make sure I picked a booth/table that I would fit in.

Diabeties runs in my family so u was high risk.

To sum it up, I really didn't have a ME life. I have and always will have my kids, however I didn't have any real quality of life.

I have lost around 40lbs since surgery on 7 th of November and already I feel for once like there is light at the end of the tunnel. The sweating has gotten a lot better.

My clothes fit better.

I have more energy for playing with my kids.

I take up less space on seats.

This is only the beginning for me. I am determined to get a life back and know I couldn't have done it alone. I have less fear of failure as I know I have something to help me. I know if I am good to my sleeve and treat it right, it will return the favour.

Sorry for droning on. Hope this helped. Xxxx