Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to practice the lap band rules and FAILING!

So...knowing I'm going to have the surgery, when I've been eating I will sometimes "practice" eating the lap band way- very small bites, and chewing alot, no drinks.....I fail EVERY TIME. I think sometimes I just get bored, or feel like I can't really taste the food without a bigger bite. And the not drinking thing, well this is totally weird cause somewhere along the lines I was told that if you drink a lot of Water with your meal you will eat less so I've been kind "conditioned" to do that. So my question is- how do you lapbanders DO it??? Is the threat of a PB enough to follow the rules? Should I keep trying it out or just give up and wait until I really have the band?

Keep working on it. It's not easy, but the band certainly does help once you get restriction. Believe it or not, you'll adapt and actually enjoy the freedom of not being so 'weighed down' by the thought of food. I promise. :D But I commend you for trying to be a bandster, pre-band. That's a great thing to do for your committment and dedication to the process. You'll be a great success!

I myself am having a hard time following the pre band rules....I went to my nutritionist and she was great wrote out a meal plan for me told me to start practicing chewing well, taking smaller bites, and not drinking whiile eating...And I too fail every single time...All I want to eat is fatty foods and I eat so fast I feel that I might fail with the band, I just dont know if I will be able to do it I just feel that food just takes over my whole existence does that make sense to anyone....

Dont feel so bad , im having a hard time too. My biggest issue is the no drinking thing too. For the small bite problem a lap band friend gave me a set of toddler utensils and that helps for me to visualize what those bits look like and should look like .

Its easier to chew thoes smaller amounts of food, and it doesnt take as much chewing for those smaller bites. if that makes sense.

Im a little worried about it but I firmly belive that the band helps LOL

Mindy

I really thought that not drinking would be the hardest rule, but actually it turned out to be the easiest. There is a mental component to being compliant. After you go through the surgery it's just somehow easier to obey the rules. Also, when you actually have the band, you're eating much tinier portions and are thus alot less thirsty! It's easy to not drink when you eat half a sandwich total. It's the second half that would make me really thirsty. You'll see when you eat such small portions it's alot easier.

You will be surprised what fear will make you do. I was a gobbler, eating fast, and washing it down with liquids. I don't do that anymore. In fact, I probably eat slowly and chew more than I should. It was easy to switch over. The non drinking during meals is very easy. The hard part is when I eat Breakfast out and want my cup of coffee. Get smaller plates for when you start eating real food and you will find it looks like a lot and more than you can eat.

I was really trying to eat like a bandster before the band, too. Once yoU have the band it IS much easier to oobey the 'rules'. With drinking, just try to stay hydrated BEFORE you eat. Then work up to delaying drinking by an hour after you eat. Try waiting 20 minutes to have a drink. You'll find you might be thristy for a little while but it passes. The small bites will come more naturally when you have restriction. Honestly, my bites are not that small. They are smaller than before - but I like to chew a little and swallow a little, but there is still food in my mouth. Does that make sense? Then you get to taste the food more with having more in your mouth than just a nibble.

Don't worry! It all falls into place! I was really stressed out about it too. But it just becomes second nature after just a few weeks. REALLY!

I try to drink quite a bit before I eat...Then I have it timed to where as soon as I am done eating its time to clean the kitchen and as soon as I am done with that then I can drink...I didnt really find it hard not drinking during a meal because as soon as I got restriction the liquid would push the food down faster than it wanted to go and I would end up having PBS almost everytime...So for my own safety and fear I know its best that I dont drink and eat...Dang my biggest concern growing up was not drinking and driving and now look what I have resorted to..lol

My Dr didn't tell me I needed to do a pre-op diet or to try to eat that way before the surgery. He says it's different when you get the band and not to develop a failure set about it in advance. I have been mentally rehearsing, though, and have just started trying it for real. Nowhere near perfect, but then when I screw up, I don't hurt or start retching, either. My husband is trying it with me, and by the time we've chewed a small bite 30 times, we're pretty much laughing and choking on it.

I had problems eating like a bandster pre-band, just seemed "weird" to be eating like that.

Once I got banded I took it more seriously. I don't drink with my meals, but I was still having a problem eating a bite that was too big and not chewing well enough. Didn't cause a problem until I had a fill. First time I ate eggs post-fill I was eating too fast and got some egg stuck. It wasn't a bad one, it went down in about 30 seconds, but after that I got a drinking straw and put it on the table to remind myself just how small the opening really is...that one little trick has helped remind me to slow down, take little bites and chew well.

I just had my first experience with PBs this afternoon. That will make you slow down and not try to cheat the band! Not really THAT bad, but you'd better be close to the toilet or sink...:phanvan

Hi SSMANZO! I'm having myself Spivaked a week from Monday! I'm rootin' for ya!

Lisa99---Thants a great idea with the straw. Why don't you add that the the pre-post Op board in the list of things to buy before banding! I'm off to find a straw....

Great Post!

It's good to know that I'm not alone in trying out the band rules prior to surgery. I've also tried not to drink during meals. Although I've been able to do it, I agree it's not easy to do when you're used to having something to drink with your meals. However, I can see why a smaller portion post-band should leave me less thirsty.