Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How I keep from over eating!

hun

great thought on the storage containers :)

but you almost 99.999% can never stretch your sleeve. - its almost impossible to stretch your sleeve.

this is a frequent discussion

i'm hoping another sleever can jump in with a proper explanation (sorry i'm not good at this explanation :angry: )

again' date=' good doing on the storage containers - great idea

keep up the good work[/quote']

Is that really true? My doc said patients do stretch their sleeves out if they consistently overeat.

I will post something I found on another forum:

Part of what gives us that "full feeling" after we eat is the effect that stretching has on the stomach. Stretch receptors in the lower part of the stomach antrum signal the brain as the stomach fills up. With the sleeve food is essentially funneled to the antrum receptors which signal fullness much sooner than they normally would. The stomach is size restricted and that means that the antrum signals fullness at the slightest filling. The stomach we have left minus the fundus is essentially muscle and being muscle it has a limited expanding capacity. Over time the stomach will stretch some, but never get back to pre-surgery size. That being said here is a statistical study I found:

A team of surgeons at the University of Chile, led by Dr. Italo Braghetto, have conducted measurements of stomach capacity with patients who have undergone sleeve gastrectomies, checking their stomach capacity within three days of their surgery and again after two years.

This study, reported in the journal Obesity Surgery in January 2009, followed fifteen patients and found that the average stomach capacity did increase significantly over the two years after their surgeries. In fact, the average gastric capacity had more than doubled. These same patients had, for the most part, maintained their weight loss and had average Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 (although an increase in BMI was seen in a few patients).

The stomach's studied expanded to over double their size which would max out at maybe, 6 to 10 ounces (estimating that your sleeve holds 2 to 4 oz at surgery). Well a normal stomach holds on average 1 liter, which is over 33 ounces and can expand to 4 liters, which is over 132 ounces or roughly 8 lb of solid food. How many sleevers do you know that can eat even a pound of solid food? So even if your sleeve stretched like crazy it is still going to be way smaller, at least 3 times smaller than the average person's stomach.

Also, understand that they checked the stomach's capacity after only 3 days after surgery. We know that the stomach is swollen at that time and has less capacity. So the stretching ratio would be less.

Thanks for the info gmanbat.

Is that really true? My doc said patients do stretch their sleeves out if they consistently overeat.

That is what I was told too but maybe they just saying that to scare us into not stretching it who knows

I will post something I found on another forum:

Part of what gives us that "full feeling" after we eat is the effect that stretching has on the stomach. Stretch receptors in the lower part of the stomach antrum signal the brain as the stomach fills up. With the sleeve food is essentially funneled to the antrum receptors which signal fullness much sooner than they normally would. The stomach is size restricted and that means that the antrum signals fullness at the slightest filling. The stomach we have left minus the fundus is essentially muscle and being muscle it has a limited expanding capacity. Over time the stomach will stretch some, but never get back to pre-surgery size. That being said here is a statistical study I found:

A team of surgeons at the University of Chile, led by Dr. Italo Braghetto, have conducted measurements of stomach capacity with patients who have undergone sleeve gastrectomies, checking their stomach capacity within three days of their surgery and again after two years.

This study, reported in the journal Obesity Surgery in January 2009, followed fifteen patients and found that the average stomach capacity did increase significantly over the two years after their surgeries. In fact, the average gastric capacity had more than doubled. These same patients had, for the most part, maintained their weight loss and had average Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 (although an increase in BMI was seen in a few patients).

The stomach's studied expanded to over double their size which would max out at maybe, 6 to 10 ounces (estimating that your sleeve holds 2 to 4 oz at surgery). Well a normal stomach holds on average 1 liter, which is over 33 ounces and can expand to 4 liters, which is over 132 ounces or roughly 8 lb of solid food. How many sleevers do you know that can eat even a pound of solid food? So even if your sleeve stretched like crazy it is still going to be way smaller, at least 3 times smaller than the average person's stomach.

Also, understand that they checked the stomach's capacity after only 3 days after surgery. We know that the stomach is swollen at that time and has less capacity. So the stretching ratio would be less.

Wow thank you so much for that feed but I'm also sure that over those 2 years people probably pushed their limits time and time again and those who dont probably wont stretch as much as thoughs who do so my point is I would rather be limited and safe then push myself past the limits.. I refuse to have myself go through this only to fail!

but you almost 99.999% can never stretch your sleeve. - its almost impossible to stretch your sleeve.

UndercoverBariatricGal

gmanbat -good quote from another quote ;)

"full feeling" after we eat is the effect that stretching has on the stomach.muscle and being muscle it has a limited expanding capacity. Over time the stomach will stretch some, but never get back to pre-surgery size.

Men who have been sleeeved are allowed to carry a man-purse for Snacks Hehe

It's written in my VST binder :P

I'm also the queen of snack size plastic baggies. Just looking forward to that actually being enough!

So 4 oz.s is about half a cup. That's what I would eat if it's Protein like chicken or fish but if I eat Soup I can eat about a cup. Is this too much? I am 2 months post-op.

I think as long as your stomach is not hurting after you eat you should be fine

Ive over eaten a couple of times...Only because I was so hungrary I wasnt paying attention and trust me I wish I could had thrown up but instead Im in pain and it hurts. I try to eat to where Im satisfied...sometimes its a whole cup of Protein or less...I think on certain days Im just more hungrier thrn other days..And I was sleeved on Nov 19th...and down 35 pounds..

Funny they all see it as the easy way out.. If they only knew it really isn't.. This is the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. Even child birth wasn't this bad lol I know at some point and time we will be able to eat ANYTHING we want and we will have to control that and say no or limit ourselves to it so we wont gain the weight back. Easy way out my but!

I agee with the part of if they only knew! I look at it as a tool for changing my life & health! People that judge seem to think its a quick fix! We know its not the case!

Ive over eaten a couple of times...Only because I was so hungrary I wasnt paying attention and trust me I wish I could had thrown up but instead Im in pain and it hurts. I try to eat to where Im satisfied...sometimes its a whole cup of Protein or less...I think on certain days Im just more hungrier thrn other days..And I was sleeved on Nov 19th...and down 35 pounds..

Wow you get hungry? I am never hungry but you are also over a month on my i was sleeved on Dec 6th And I hope I never feel hungry again! lol I love that I eat based on time not hunger. I eat every 3 hours and only 3 oz at this time 4 oz max and 9x out of ten its full force Protein based foods!

I have been out of work since the surgery for personal reasons and the job is the biggest reason I keep my surgery to myself but its a fear for me when I return because i dont want to eat out of the 4 oz containers around them i do know now when enough is enough so i can pretty much eat out of anything i want, its just the containers help maintain control and assure i wont stretch my pouch.. I guess I can use big containers to throw my coworkers off and make sure my fish/chicken is already 3-4 oz inside of that container.. *shrug* its easy to be me at home but when outside others watch they look they see. I am undercover for a reason! I have heard them talk about others that had this or surgery like this and it was not pretty they made the decision for me to keep this to myself lol Judgmental but wipes!

I kept my surgery a "secret" too because I have also heard my co-workers opinions on weight loss surgery. I'm glad too because I have worked hard to get off my weight going to the gym daily and consuming less than 800 calories a day - this is my work and sweat and I really don't want the surgery to get all the credit because people have the misconception that it's the surgery doing the work.

Anyway - those first couple of months back I tried to just eat at my desk or use my lunch hour to go for a walk so that people weren't observing how little I was eating.