Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluids not going down well, gas?

When I try to drink Water or Meal Replacement it feels like the liquids get stuck in my esophagus and then will slowly go down. I did have a small hiatal hernia repair and feel it may be due to this. Anyone have any advice? There are times when I am not even drinking and I get this full.. Ummm I suppose gaseous feeling in my chest. Post Op day 5- how long does gas last. I try to walk it off but it doesn't always help.

Advice please:)

I asked my Dr this question a few days ago... This is how he described it...

The tube that was created by stapling your stomach has a pressure gradient with the bottom being higher and the top, near your esophagus, being lower pressure. When you eat or drink something, the food or drink has to fight that pressure gradient to get through & down into sleeve and eventually the intestines. The pressure gradient, along with swelling, causes many people to feel exactly the way you are now. But trust me, it gets better. The first couple of weeks I could feel every single thing in my sleeve go from my esophagus to my belly button, almost force its way through. But now I feel like that's mostly gone away. Thank goodness, its not fun!

I asked my Dr this question a few days ago... This is how he described it...

The tube that was created by stapling your stomach has a pressure gradient with the bottom being higher and the top' date=' near your esophagus, being lower pressure. When you eat or drink something, the food or drink has to fight that pressure gradient to get through & down into sleeve and eventually the intestines. The pressure gradient, along with swelling, causes many people to feel exactly the way you are now. But trust me, it gets better. The first couple of weeks I could feel every single thing in my sleeve go from my esophagus to my belly button, almost force its way through. But now I feel like that's mostly gone away. Thank goodness, its not fun![/quote']

I'm almost 2 weeks post op & I'm having the same issue.. It feels like sometimes there's too much pressure & I end up throwing up my fluids.. I'm still on full liquids, so I know my stomach might need a little more time than others to heal.. But it is very frustrating!!!!

Thank you for replying:) It is so helpful knowing I am not having some affect that is uncommon. I am definately praying it goes away soon. My Surgeon did say he thought it may be some swelling and was hoping it goes away soon. He stated I needed time to heal before doing and EGD. Kept me an extra day for IV steroids to help with the "swelling". He also stated if he had to later but hopes he doesn't . They can dilate or expand the area some if needed. If so that would be later. I wouldn't want that though so I am hoping that as you stated; it goes away with a little time. Your Dr explained it very well:)

Anything anyone knows that helps with the continued gas pain?

You all are great! Glad I found this APP AND SITE

Yes, it is very frustrating!!! We will hang in there and make it through;supporting everyone thru this healthy lifestyle commitment!!!

You'll feel better ever day, I promise! I'm almost at 3 months and also had hiatal hernia repaired. Besides swollen stomach, which you really can't feel, the hernia caused the most discomfort for me. I wasn't prepared for the recovery - it's rough, I know! I still have to drink my Water with additives and need at least one shake to get Protein in-solids still get stuck, even well chewed. (cookies and sweets go down fine, I found! My protein has been low so I succumbed to some holiday treats/back on track today-this was the first week I didnt lose anything since surgery in Oct.!) Keep sipping protein and water (I added unflavored protein -10 grams-to a my water /crystal light bevs. to get protein in-Unjury brand is great. Getting some more so I stop sugar cravings!) Good luck!

I am four and a half months out on my journey. I had the sleeve done. It is interesting to read these posts and see how different everyone's recovery is. I am still feeli that pressure the burps are less. But I still can't eat if I eat chicken I get like three small bites. I chew the heck out of it. I was not even able the eat chicken until like two weeks ago. Every time I tried it would get stuck omg so painful and not worth it. If I get 32 oz in Fluid down a day that is alot. Protein ha I don't get what I need on that either. I have to drink this bullet I got from Walmart it has 42 grams of protein eww it is gross. My stomach is taking a while to heal. I have heard some people say treats go down easy. The only concern I have with that is we are all on here for weight loss so many people fall off the wagon this is not a fix for life. It is real hard work and it is forever. There will be no problem with stretching out the pouch and then we will be back to square one and it will all be for nothing. I am keeping myself In check by continuing to attend my support group and not tempting myself at all with any treats. Good luck to everyone try to stay on track look at the big picture and everything you have went through to get here.

Thank you Holly:)

I will be praying for everyone! Be careful with those "treats";) we know how addicting they can be and later spiral out of control, especially for those of us who are "Foodies and emotional eaters".

Also, I have nectar Medical unflavored Protein. It leaves a filmmy taste though. Does your Unjury have an after taste or noticiable smell to it?

How do you feel and do you mind sharing how much weight lost?

Thank You Makayla07 :)

You keep hanging in there! Are able to chew and keep down any meat/protein other the chicken you are having difficulty with? Are you able to enjoy any Protein source?

How much weight have you lost In your 4 1/2 months?

Thank you for you comment about the treats! We all need to remind each other of what is so easy to do and that is get off track due to do many reasons. Treats can be dangerous so I working on changing my psychology around the whole dependence on treats and comfort food.

Thank you Holly:)

I will be praying for everyone! Be careful with those "treats";) we know how addicting they can be and later spiral out of control' date=' especially for those of us who are "Foodies and emotional eaters".

Also, I have nectar Medical unflavored Protein. It leaves a filmmy taste though. Does your unjury have an after taste or noticiable smell to it?

How do you feel and do you mind sharing how much weight lost?[/quote']

I know-treats are a slippery slope! Today, back on track! I walked this morning and starting entering my food in MFP. (I stopped entering when I started cheating...interesting!) I know my Protein was low so today I'm making sure to track it snd get back to 60-80. My Pre-op weight (highest ever!) in Aug. was 278. Date of sleeve (Oct 11) was 255. Today 210 (gained 1/2 a pound this week! So annoyed - but getting it together STAT!) Unjury unflavored is great-really has no taste. My only complaint is that it clumps, I keep one of those shake balls is my Water bottle to shake before drinking.

I have lost 55 lbs since my surgery aug 27,2012. I know my Protein is low I am supposed to have one of those bullets everyday I don't always is I's so disgusting. Those whey powders are even grosser I don't like the clumping of the powders I gag on them big time. The extent of my diet is Peanut Butter fat free string cheese and eggs. Blah blah oh an these gross Atkins bars but they have alot of protein In them. Really I forget to eat I don't have much hunger pains at all. I need more protein I know it is just hard getting it down. I have been taking Biotin but I is not enough. My hair is getting very thin. It is starting to scare me that it is going to totally fall out. I went out to dinner last night and got three pieces of small chicken down. I try not to drink Water when I eat but I just can't help it. I take small sips. I grew up always needing a drink when I eat. But I am going to try to push myself harder with the protein.

I have lost 55 lbs since my surgery aug 27' date='2012. I know my Protein is low I am supposed to have one of those bullets everyday I don't always is I's so disgusting. Those whey powders are even grosser I don't like the clumping of the powders I gag on them big time. The extent of my diet is Peanut Butter fat free string cheese and eggs. Blah blah oh an these gross Atkins bars but they have alot of Protein In them. Really I forget to eat I don't have much hunger pains at all. I need more protein I know it is just hard getting it down. I have been taking Biotin but I is not enough. My hair is getting very thin. It is starting to scare me that it is going to totally fall out. I went out to dinner last night and got three pieces of small chicken down. I try not to drink Water when I eat but I just can't help it. I take small sips. I grew up always needing a drink when I eat. But I am going to try to push myself harder with the protein.[/quote']

Do you eat Geek yogurt? I couldn't until I was allowed fruit with it and now I love it. At 12 grams of protein it's s good bang for your buck! I can't eat eggs or chicken, unless chicken is in Soup and disintegrates in my mouth. I'm not a fish eater, love shellfish, so that's out. I rely on at least one Protein Shake abd a yogurt per day as my base. A cup of skim milk has 10 grams, in a pinch! I was eating a lot of soft cheese and suffered horrible Constipation. Now I watch my dairy, eat 1-2 prunes a day for Fiber and try to have Soups that have begins and meat protein. Today I'm making chicken Soup with white Beans snd yellow squash so I have something healthy for lunch all week. Good luck!

Good job Holly getting back on track! :) Keep pushing forward!

Makayla07- Keep pushing on and I am praying that you will be able to tolerate Proteins better. I know about those Protein bullets and they were hard to swallow down Pre-OP, never the less post op sleeve. I went to GNC today and the sales Lady Showed me the bullets and I was like... Ummm. Not unless I just have to unless they taste better than they did a couple years ago.

Makayla07, have you tried fish? I wonder if it will go down better for you.