Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you lose during your pre-op diet?

Getting geared up (i.e. PSYCHED UP) for the pre-op diet and I am wondering what to expect. My three main questions are:

1. How long was your pre-op diet?

2. How were you getting your calories? (All shakes, Atkins style diet, shakes & small meal combo?)

3. How much weight did you lose?

Everyone is different. I had to limit myself to about 650 calories for 2 weeks before surgery. I didn't have to do just liquid, except for the day before surgery, because I didn't have a fatty liver. However, I chose to do mostly Protein Shakes because my school schedule was crazy and it was just easier to do it with liquids for me. I lost 12.6 lbs in the 2 weeks.

I lost a total of 30- 302 down to 272 surgery weight. Honestly, all I really did was stop eating out, literally. We were really broke over the last 6 months, so it was easy. I was also extremely busy- I work and go to school full time and I have an active 8 year old and a husband- I just wasn't as much focused on food. I am really glad I didn't have to do the liquid pre-op. I'm on the full liquid post-op and I am getting SO sick of it.

Good luck!

-Kendra

Starting weight: 302

Surgery weight: 272

Weight this morning: 259

This was by far the hardest part of the whole process for me.

1. How long was your pre-op diet? 2 weeks

2. How were you getting your calories? All shakes

3. How much weight did you lose? 25lbs

Every surgeon has different requirements. My surgeon requires 10% weight loss before she will clear you for surgery. She wants to see committment as well as shrinking the liver. My first visit with her was late Jan 2011 and I didn't have surgery until Nov 2011. I had a really hard time losing the weight I needed to. My starting weight was 339 and I was 312 the day of surgery...27 pounds.

My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet. I had my surgery through what they call a Center of Excellence. There is a whole Bariatric program. I didn't have to do any liquid diet, and I got to eat what I like. My focus was on Protein and portion sizes. I lost 15 lbs before my surgery date 12/24/12 and I've lost another 5 since surgery :)

It's been rough but I know it's going to be worth it!!!!!

My pre-op diet was 2 weeks. It was a combination of two Protein Shakes and two healthy meals with lean Proteins. I lost 16lbs.

I start my pre op diet today and my surgery is scheduled for jan.7th. I am supposed to drink 5 Protein Shakes a day and have a list of sugar free drinks, Popsicles and some broth I can have too.

my doctor recomended pre op diet was only 2 weeks long, shakes x 3 a day and 1 small meal, had to stay under 800 calories a day. three days before surgery was full liquids.... but I had to loose before they would do surgery 10% of my body weight... so that was 30 lbs.... so I started cutting back 2 weeks before my pre op to make sure I was down 30 lbs before surgery. I lost 30 lbs before surgery. gained 15 yes 15 lbs during surgery. ( they pumped tons of Water into me due to not being able to use the bathroom on my own .... took over a week after surgery to loose all the water they pumped into me... )

surgery was 3.5 months ago and I am down 80 lbs

1. How long was your pre-op diet? 1 week

2. How were you getting your calories? Wasn't given a guideline on how many calories to take in.

3. How much weight did you lose? I lost 9 lbs in one week.

2 day preop diet of full liquids (anything liquid)

My surgeon didn't require only suggested to loose the 10%

Lost 12lbs post op 21 lbs total haven't weighed myself in 4days

Surgery date 12/11/12

Hey! My pre op diet has been for 7 days, I still have one more day to go and then surgery on the 3rd. I started losing weight before being up on the pre op but I don't weigh myself until tomorrow. My diet consist of 3 shakes, a tv dinner less than 250 calories and less than 30 carbs. I couldn't exceed 1000 calories and 60 carbs a day, I've managed to stay under 850 and about 55 carbs a day. I also had to have aleast 80-100 grams of Protein a day.

I think it is important to remember that the Protein Shake preop diet is also required to get the fat out of your liver, shrink the size down so that there is more room for the surgeon. My surgeon requires all his patients to go on this "liver diet", for 2 weeks at least using high quality bariatric meal supplement shake. He know you will lose weight on it, as long as scale is down not up he is happy. I was never given a # of lbs I had to lose, he was really pleased with 17 lb loss prior to surgery.