Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op.

So today = 5 days and im starting full liquids. I felt hungry yesterday and hungry today and i feel like i can drink a lot more than the days prior. Less gas pain and it almost feels like i have a full appetite and no restriction anyone have this feeling??? I've been real hesitant still about drinking too much at a time but enough to get in what i need. Any advice?

Congratulations on your new sleeve! You probably won't feel a lot of restriction while in the liquid stage. Once you start introducing soft foods, you'll definitely feel it!

The most important thing at this moment is getting enough Water in your system. The bariatric nurse gave me some great tips for the first week or so. Aim for 80 ounces of Water (this includes broth) and 60 grams of Protein. For the first few days, I used these little 2 ounce measure cups they had at the hospital. I'd fill it up and then make a tick mark on a piece of paper. You're probably at the stage where you don't need to do that. But I found it a very helpful way to make sure I was getting all my liquids in over a day's time.

Regarding an appetite, it could be a couple of things. You might be experiencing some acid buildup (very common). Try taking a Tums or two and see if that clears it up. I knew I had to pop a Tums when I felt like there was foam in the back of my throat. You could be slightly dehydrated so try sipping some water or broth. Finally, it could be head hunger. If you're like most of us, you're used to eating on the regular. Your head knows that and starts sending you signals that it's time to feed the beast. The only way to overcome that is to remind yourself that you're most likely not experiencing true hunger. I'm four months out and I still rarely feel true hunger. It's the head games that will give you the most problems in this process.

Good luck and hang in there! It's so worth it.

there are so many things that are going to make you want to eat - some will be legit but many are body triggers, habits, acid in your tummy - and more.

Drink a certain amount, so you know you have enough. Now wait. take an antacid, and if you are still hungry , try to get away from it by doing something you enjoy. Distraction and change of habit have been my biggest allies, and when not used the difference was profound.

@kczar thank you for being so encouraging. I think its possibly head hunger i was not hungry at all before, then last night while everyone was eating christmas dinner i got hungryyy. So i drank broth and kept pushing liquids i hope i rock this sleeve and can be a sucsess story like everyone else.

The first "eating" even after surgery can be tough. We had a Mexican food buffet for my sister's birthday a month after I was sleeved and it was a bit tough looking at all the food I couldn't have. But Christmas was great. I was able to eat pretty much anything I wanted to, just about 1/10th of what it would have normally been. And I lost 2 pounds! Keep your eye on the prize. It's worth it.

Also, if it feels like your stomach is growling, that could just be your stomach/bowels waking up and getting used to working again. That made me think I was hungry around Day five. I also don't feel the restriction but just get kind of bored eating so stop early on. I have a few more days before I start the puréed diet and I'm really looking forward to it. I find each day is a little different in terms of the hunger missing food and wanting to eat. Isn't this a fun adventure though?

i am also 5 days out today and felt really hungry last night. today i started sf/ff pudding and strained Soup. the pudding was very filling. tomorrow i will try strained soup or maybe the ff yogurt. good luck on this new journey that we are taking

tina