Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone...I just had a really good idea. (Of course I think it's good!)

Now that Jesse A's book is out- wouldn't it be great to see if Oprah would have her on to talk about the band? Maybe she would even feature some of you wonderful loosers!!!

I can't do anything about this great idea because I am in the FDA trials and I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut (good luck). But, if a few of you guys want to send her the book and a bunch of our stories...that would be cool...

Any other thoughts about how we can get the word out?

Megan

I wrote to Oprah'sshow in April right after she aired the gastric bypass show with Dr Ren, it was on right before my surgery and after speaking to my surgeon he loved the idea of me writing to her to do a show on the Lap Band and I got no response but now maybe with Jessi's book out I can try again and see if that works to get a reply.

maybe if we ALL sent them e-mails they would take notice. Word of mouth is something and the more people that write about it the better chance there is of it actually being taken serious........maybe??

I have to be honest and say I don't really feel the zeal that a lot of other people feel about "spreading the word." I think there's a big downside to a lot of people jumping on the "band" wagon.

Enticing the public doesn't seem to me to be the way to go about increasing acceptance of the band. Insurance companies need to be convinced to cover it, and they'll be ever less inclined as more and more people ask their doctors about what they think will be quick and easy fix. And if it gets a good airing on a show like Oprah's, that's what will happen.

It's a medical device and the medical community needs to embrace it and prescribe it to appropriate patients, confident that the health insurance carriers will cover it as medically necessary. I don't see how Oprah can help that happen.

Alex-

You bring up some really great points.

I agree about the medical community embracing it- but if I would have waited for that to happen I wouldn't be banded now. I went to my PCP to see what he thought about the procedure (after I had reseached it) and you know what- he had no clue what I was talking about. He was extremely supportive and by my next visit he had done his research and was all for it.

I guess my idea isn't about insurance or doctors- it's about showing people there is another option out there than bypass. It's about educating the public about it so they can take control of thier own destiny and ask their doctors. And if more people get the band and have less complications from it than bypass, maybe there will be a complete turn around and insurance companies will stop approving the bypass over the band.

I just wish I had seen an Oprah show on the band. I don't want someone who doesn't have access to a computer to never know about the many benefits. I guess in my minds eye I see that very overweight woman watching her kids while Oprah is on- maybe we can help her???

Just my thoughts...

Plus I'm in marketing so my mind is always thinking of stuff like this.

Megan

I understand what you're saying, Alexandra. But at the same time, I know there are still a lot of docs who don't know that the band exists, and therefore cannot campaign to get insurance to cover it.

I think it's a wonderful idea, Megan, to have Oprah give equal time to a less risky WLS option. I am always disappointed to see coverage after coverage of the bypass, with nary a mention of the band.

And maybe giving the band a higher profile in everyday media would get someone to compile more current and meaningful stats.

And maybe if more docs knew about and supported the band, more U.S. docs would offer it, at more competitive prices, and fewer people would have to get banded far from where they lived, and all banded people would have access to better aftercare.

Maybe this is just a pipe dream on my part? :D

I agree with Donali. I had NEVER heard of it until I just happened to bump into something about it when I was researching weight loss surgery. I have the hardest time not wanting to stop and tell every over weight person I see about it. Then reality hits and I remember that it is expensive and it was only by luck that I was able to get it. I still spread the news as much as possible though. I would love to go on Oprah. T

Well, I agree that it needs coverage, but what I'd like to see is serious coverage on the news or health shows rather than Oprah. Doctors are the market segment who need to be educated, and I'm afraid it's only a small segment of doctors who willingly accept education from their patients.

I'll bet that when Johnson & Johnson get approval for their band there will be a HUGE marketing push. It's going to be a lot easier to market than RNY once the medical infrastructure is in place. But part of the problem is that doctors need to be educated in the use of the band, and it is so care-intensive relative to what surgeons are accustomed to. But I think there will be, given time, a whole new area for PAs and NPs to specialize in: band management.

Band Wagon! I love that ! I wish I would have thought of it! See I'm off in the ozone somewhere thinking about new Lic. Plates(completly diffrent subject) Sorry

I got BANDED 2...:D

I too was looking about bypass about a year ago and put it off for I was too scared but happened to just by chance see something on the internet and starting researching and found out about banding. I also saw the forum and read it. I got banded on May 17, 2004 and have lost 30 lbs. and very happy. My weight at surgery was 257 lbs and close to heart attack and now 30 lbs lighter I feel great. I am turly glad I found out about the band and Thank God I got it done right away. THanks for all the info you all provide thru this forum. Susan

So, Megan...

i bought some JNJ stock when those trials started. Am I a smart girl or a dummy?

Sue

I made my investment club buy some, too. So, I think you are very smart. :-) I agree there will be a serious marketing push in a few years. I'm in the study for three years (almost done with year one...how time flys!!).

If you look at the company that makes the band already approved in the US, the stock has climbed steadily since it was approved. If you bought it before it was approved I think it was about 18 bucks. Now it's in the 60's and still growing.

Stock symbol- IMDC

Megan