Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Bowel Changes?

Hello all,

I'm pursuing VSG seriously, and doing my research. One of my concerns about WLS is how the GI tract changes after the surgery. With RNY, etc. I've heard of long term tendancy towards diarrhea or Constipation, problems with, as they say, "malodorous emanations" and other such things. What has been your experience, if you're comfortable sharing?

From what I can tell, VSG is less likely to cause problems with the above than RNY, but I'd like to hear it from those in the thick of it. I'm less concerned with stuff in the first 6 months to a year, and more how things settle out long term.

Thanks for sharing!

-Nathan

Would be nice to hear more on this for me too. Right now I am pretty settled compared to what I read from others. Had no need as of yet for gas x strip or beano any time soon but do you need much of them long after months have past ? I'd be concerned that second 6 months out gassiness was trully as troubling though.

I don't know the answer to your question because I am a newbie...entering 4th day post op.

I'm about 5 weeks about and all I've been since Surgery is constipated. It's been extremely uncomfortable honestly. It was so bad one night I was crying. I only go maybe about every 4-5 days which I guess makes sense considering how much I eat but I dread going to the bathroom. I know Constipation is extremely common even for us VSGers. With a high Protein diet we aren't really getting in any Fiber so it makes sense. I'm going to begin a fiber supplement and see how it helps. I'm hesitant to do a stool softener because I've had issues with them in the past pre VSG that gave me explosive diarrhea which no one wants lol. Wish I could tell you constipation was untrue but it's an unfortunate reality for most of us.

I have tried everything but finally found the miracle cure. After 10 days I took chia seeds and they worked within 24 hours. Very good for you and full of Protein. They are easy to add to foods or if you soak them they turn to a jelly and you can add them to shakes etc. Highly recommended.

I'm 4 months out. I take a Magnesium pill once a day and as long as I get my fluids in, I have no issues with Constipation. Maybe once a month I'll feel like i need help and I'll have some Miralax. I've had no issues w gas beyond the first week post-op.

If you pay attention to your body's needs, drink enough, move enough and eat what your body likes, then post-surgery you should be able to live a great life with little or no sleeve side affects at 6 months and beyond. There are always exceptions, of course.

Hello all' date='

I'm pursuing VSG seriously, and doing my research. One of my concerns about WLS is how the GI tract changes after the surgery. With RNY, etc. I've heard of long term tendancy towards diarrhea or Constipation, problems with, as they say, "malodorous emanations" and other such things. What has been your experience, if you're comfortable sharing?

From what I can tell, VSG is less likely to cause problems with the above than RNY, but I'd like to hear it from those in the thick of it. I'm less concerned with stuff in the first 6 months to a year, and more how things settle out long term.

Thanks for sharing!

-Nathan[/quote']

Hi, Nathan!

The fact that the GI tract is left in tact was exactly why I chose this surgery. Like you, I did tons of research and the side effects seem to be less with this procedure.

My surgery was on 12/17, so I am not very far out. However, I was up and walking within 5 hours of surgery and home within 24 hours of surgery. I have had little nausea, and little pain.

I prepared myself mentally for this, and I do credit that with some of my success. It is a journey- Not a race.

I am a distributor for a health products company, and had done much research on how to incorporate these products into my lifestyle change-- as well as if I'd even be able to at all. I believe these have helped me with fatigue and helped to build my system up before surgery.

Now don't get me wrong- it isn't a perfect scenario! I find myself hungry, and impatient with the post op diet, but that just is what it is. I am looking toward the prize- 1 gram of Protein at a time! Lol!!

Where did you find chia seeds? I can't find them.

I'm in Australia and you can get them at pharmacies but I believe they are also available on Amazon and other sites online.

Hi. I'm just over a year post-surgery. I had diarrhea like most people all day every day for the first two weeks after surgery. Then I read another members success with a probiotic called Culturelle. It's a pill you take once a day. Worked like a charm. My doctor actually recommended it on my last check up just two weeks ago.

I still have a problem going to the bathroom for a different reason now: seems I always have to go while I'm at work and its so annoying. The more I worry about it the worse it gets. I wish I could change my cycle. I'm thinking of skipping solid food during the day just to avoid the embarrassment of having to sit in there for 15 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions about that?

I have tried everything but finally found the miracle cure. After 10 days I took chia seeds and they worked within 24 hours. Very good for you and full of Protein. They are easy to add to foods or if you soak them they turn to a jelly and you can add them to shakes etc. Highly recommended.

I second the daily use of chia seeds. In fact, I am about to have my Protein shake mixed with chia seeds now.

There are a few rules I discovered:

1. Always let the soak in Water for at least 20-30 minutes before mixing them with a shake powder or anything else. The reason is the the seeds are really only effective in gelled form as a solution to regularity. Failure to do this has a couple consequences:

1a. The seeds will just pass right through because they will not sit very long in our small stomachs.

1b. The seeds will rob you of Water as they pass through, leaving you dehydrated.

2. Always mix with water before use. Mixing with any kind of milk leads to non gelled seeds no matter how long you wait. I have not tried to gel the seeds with any other kind of liquid such as juice.

3. Buy from a reputable grower who is interested in your health and not just profit. They will be easier to get advice from and you will probably get more seeds for your money. I highly recommend a business called "The raw food world." The owners are extremely pleasant, down to earth and provide excellent customer service. On Amazon, you can buy 1-3 lb bags of seeds for a good price. I usually buy the 2 lb product that they offer and it lasts months.

I'm 6 months out. The first few months I had horrible Constipation that landed me in the ER one night. Since then, it's slowly gotten better, but I still experience constipation. Before surgery, it was completely the opposite with my IBS. Not sure which one I'd rather have! Lol. Even though I still battle constipation now, it's manageable. So, it DOES get better!