Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys, I'm a little over 3 weeks out from my surgery - had it done on 11/28. For the last week or week and a half I have been in an almost constant state of nausea. The last few days I've actually started gagging and spitting up a little phlegm and some yellowy stuff.

Even thinking of food makes me start gagging, same with Water. My doctor and case adviser both say its normal.

If it is normal - do you guys have any tips to stop the nausea or when it goes away?

Thanks.

Jason

Unsure on those tips but surgeon just warned me saying people start to experience this some times after a month or two. and I think it may pass after a few, so is normal I think that you do have Nausia.

Hey guys' date=' I'm a little over 3 weeks out from my surgery - had it done on 11/28. For the last week or week and a half I have been in an almost constant state of nausea. The last few days I've actually started gagging and spitting up a little phlegm and some yellowy stuff.

Even thinking of food makes me start gagging, same with Water. My doctor and case adviser both say its normal.

If it is normal - do you guys have any tips to stop the nausea or when it goes away?

Thanks.

Jason[/quote']

I've heard that sometimes your stomach doesn't allow its limitations to realized until a month LATER. I am not sure why that is, but I have read it in a few places. If this is the reason, maybe you need to back pedal to pureed/soft foods in quantities no larger than 1/2 cup? If that doesn't solve the problem, I would talk to your doctor. This forum is a great source of information, but your doctor is, too.

Hey guys' date=' I'm a little over 3 weeks out from my surgery - had it done on 11/28. For the last week or week and a half I have been in an almost constant state of nausea. The last few days I've actually started gagging and spitting up a little phlegm and some yellowy stuff.

Thanks.

Jason[/quote']

I just went thru this... For three weeks I got terribly dehydrated because I couldn't eat or drink..the thought of food was awful ...Do you have any thrush in your mouth?

Not sure what thrush is.

Also I am still on puréed and smooth foods. I haven't moved on because of this.

Not sure what thrush is.

I associate thrush with babies, but I think it's a yeast infection in your mouth. Makes the skin in your mouth white-ish.

I also associated thrush with babies until I got it...lol... Now I know that adults can get it too and it was horrible, I was so sick from it.. I searched it and a few people on here has had the same problem...

Not sure what thrush is.

Well you can tell if you stick out your tongue and its kinda white.. Matter of fact search it on this site someone had a picture of their tongue...I hope you feel better

I was sleeved on 12/17 and the nausea has been bad. My doctor prescribed a med called Protonix which has been a miracle. I take it as soon as my eyelids open....seriously...I keep it by my bed with a bottle of Water so I can get it down. Protonix is also an acid reducer. I would contact your surgeon and see if there's anything he can prescribe to you to help.

Hello all, my first post here and looking for similar answers to the nausea and acid reflex questions. My husband was the one sleeved, on 10-19-2012. He had some nausea in the beginning and is now very bad. Can't eat, drinks very little. Seeing or smelling food makes him gag. He had an Upper GI done yesterday and saw no leaks , thank God, but did see the acid reflux. I even saw it. Was really glad to see the comment on the Protontix, another surgeon prescribed that, (he also had a large hernia repair done at the same time. How long before the Protonix started working. Will be so glad to see him feel better. He's lost 85 pounds since the beginning of the pre-op diet and I want him to enjoy the loss. He only regrets now.

Debbie

I hope it gets better for you soon. It could easily be the surgery - there are a number of people that have posted in the past about persistent nausea.

In my case, I felt around the clock nausea and absolute revulsion when I thought about eating or drinking anything. I had developed lactose intolerance, so the very first thing I'd have in the morning (my Protein shake, mixed with milk) was ruining my entire day. As soon as I cut out the dairy I was much better. I also had a small problem until I found a PPI that worked well for me. Once the dairy and acid issues were resolved my quality of life improved immensely.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find a solution quickly.

~Cheri