Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea and hiccups

Hello all!

I had surgery last Wednesday 12/5/12. Since the surgery I have done great with the weight loss (20 lbs)! The biggest problem I've had is the nausea and hiccups.

I spent literally all day yesterday feeling sick to my stomach and there was nothing I could do to make it stop. I ended up sleeping in my recliner (and my sweet fiancé slept on the couch to be near me :) and the next morning/today I felt completely fine.

Also, I have had hiccups like I've never had before in my life. They are constant and painful!

I was wondering if these things are normal after surgery and if anyone has any helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance! =D

I had nausea, but my Dr. gave me a medication that helped a lot. I have heard of people having hiccups. Personally, when I take down liquid too quickly or am getting full I sneeze. Weirdest thing.

Haha sneezing, that is weird. :) But thank you for the advice. I will have to ask my doctor about nausea medication if this keeps up!

I didn't have any issues with nausea after my surgery, but I did have the hiccups. I actually woke up from surgery hiccuping! I hiccuped a lot in the first few weeks, but slowly they started coming less and less frequently. Now I don't get them any more often than I did pre-surgery. Hang in there; it gets better!

I get hiccups once I've had enough to eat like a warning to stop eating. I was on zofran and another nausea medication but I can't remember the name of it. I had nausea for about two months and a half months.

I get nassau when i don't take my medication in the morning before i have food and I only get them when I drink too fast and when I'm full, no other time though, hang in there, maybe it's all gas :-)

3 months next Wednesday :-)

You lost 20 lbs in a week?

Thanks everyone for the helpful wisdom!

And yes, I've basically lost 3 lbs a day since the surgery. But I also couldn't get my full liquids in the first couple of days. I didn't finally get all of my liquids in until about 4 days out. I was having a really hard time. So that might have something to do with it. I was just completely drained of all energy. =\ I'm so glad things started picking up. We were really starting to get worried.

I'm just over 3 weeks out from my surgery and I get the hiccups all the time too. Fortunately they don't hurt but it seems like every time I drink I get them. Hope they don't last for long. Congrats on the 20 pound loss!