Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback? Liver Cleanse???

I am reading up on speeding up my metabolism and I have symptoms of a "fatty liver". Has anyone done a liver cleanse or any other type of cleanse? I'm curious as to if this will help, is healthy as a bandster and what personal experiences have been...

I have heard of the colon cleanse, but never the liver cleanse.

I tried the liver/gallbladder cleanse last fall using the recipe from this site: http://home.bluegrass.net/~jclark/liver_cleanse.htm

I was having gallbladder pain (at least that's what I thought it was) and wanted to try something natural before I went to the doctor. After a few hours in the bathroom the following day, I felt really great and energized. It wasn't too unpleasant but don't plan any outtings the next day, if you catch my drift. : )

I'm not sure if it cured my gallbladder because the doctor said it was fine and he started me on Pepicid for reflux. I took that for a few months and have not had any pain since. This was all pre-banding but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work since it's all liquid.

PatU

I did a liver/ gallbladder cleanse about a year ago which was before banding. When I had my ultrsound prior to banding of my gallbladder the Dr. said there were no stones or anything. I have been thinking about doing it again since so many people have gallbladder trouble after weight loss.

Great minds think alike, I was just checking out those products in the health food store and was going to do a poll to see who had ever done one and if they did it regularly and if they felt a benefit from it.

I went for one of those colon cleansing, omg, I thought I'd never poop again. It felt beneficial at the time, but I think all that Water packed things tighter, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Maybe Trader Joes has unfiltered apple juice.

Hope to see more responses here.

I had a colon cleanse about a year ago. It wasn't very pleasant and wouldn't run out to do it again, but afterwards I felt wounderful and very empty. I really think it is beneficial for your colon if you can withstand the actual treatment. I've never tried the liver cleanse but might consider. For my own dicision making, why do you feel you need a liver cleanse and what benefits are there?

The following is a direct quote from Dr.Weill.

"I don' t believe that most diseases are related to toxic buildups in the liver or that cleansing the liver is a worthwhile health practice. Some health conditions may follow compromised liver function, but these are due to liver damage. Serious liver disease can result from alcoholism or infection with hepatitis viruses B and C. It can also be caused by an autoimmune disease or be the result of cancer. An important function of the liver is to deal with toxins that enter the body. If you are in good health and not overloading your systems with toxic substances (such as alcohol), the liver will cleanse itself very well"

From what I have learned through relative courses over the past few years, the liver does not need anymore than healthy food and lots of Water. Try to refrain from fast food, preprepared-prepacked foods, artificial sweeteners, and high fatty foods.

The liver has the uncanny ability to rebuild and repair itself so if you start treating it right through a healthy lifestyle then it will detox and cleanse itself.

Carol