Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Labwork has me Crying DIABETES!

Hi Everyone,

My lab work is back from my visit with my General Practice doctor – and I am terrified. I have gone into this lap band surgery with the wonderful thoughts that I have no co-morbidities. Well I am very wrong. I cry as I write this, b/c I have been in a fright all day long. My blood sugars came back at 282! I spoke with a nurse at work, who went over the labs with me. Turns out she has been diabetic for 20 years; so she knows her stuff. I DO NOT know my stuff! I know nothing of the disease, it does not run in my family, and I am so terrified I feel like I’m frozen in time. My GP has not discussed these numbers with me yet; the lab report was mailed directly to me, but I did fax it over to him today; and will see him next Monday. The nurse at work told me that I’ll most likely have to do another series of blood work. She asked if I fasted and I did for 12 hours prior to the test. The only thing I did was Water in the a.m. with all of my Vitamins.

I know that I have to loose weight, have better nutrition and exercise. This number has just made the horror of being overweight ‘real’ for me. I have never had a problem before; last blood workup was 18 months ago.

I ‘feel’ fine; perfectly fine. I do know when I go off of carbs I feel much better. I’m not a sweets-a-holic, but I do get my occasional sweet tooth. My head is spinning. I’m so afraid to go on to the American Diabetes website; worst thing I think I can do right now. I’ll terrify myself to death.

I told my best friend when I left work today, b/c I was crying then. I told her that I MUST loose weight. She does not know I plan on banding. “Sheri Lynn, you can do this, I’ve seen you loose weight a hundred times on WW – just do that and it will go away”. Yea. Sure. This is why I am not telling her I’m being banded.

Do many of you suffer with diabetes, or still do? Can the weight loss truly help? I’m still crying. My FIRST thought was to come and write to all of you for support and advice. I know it’s my extra weight – I am not a stupid person. I know I have to get exercising, and of course my diet can improve – otherwise I’d not be considering the band!

Please help me feel better.

Hon. Best thing you can do to alleviate diabetes (assuming what you have is Type II) is to LOSE WEIGHT. So you are going to get the band, right? You are already helping yourself down this road.

Exercise, diet are main indicators of getting blood sugar under control.

It's ok to be scared...who wouldn't be? But now use that! Use your scared to be MORE DETERMINED than EVER to get this band and WORK the band and lose the weight.

ok?

We're all here pulling for you!!!

Hi Sherilynn,

I can feel the anguish in your words and please know you are not alone. I have watched my dad go through the exact same journey as yours. He was so scared when he was diagnosed that he could hardly function for days. I just wanted to share a few words of encouragement with you that helped my dad...

Be thankful that you are not symptomatic right now, and that you were diagnosed before something happened (vision problems, circulatory issues, diabetic shock, etc.). As frightening as it all seems right now, diabetes is very manageable. My dad's doctor said that food is ninety percent of the battle and he highly recommends the lap band.

I know the whole issue of losing weight is stressful enough, but it is magnified when it becomes medically necessary. My dad said the one piece of advice that helped him the most was to take everything one step at a time--don't feel like you have to fix everything today. Become informed as you possibly can about diabetes-you have it and you can no longer ignore it. If you can, find a doctor that specializes in diabetes that you are comfortable with- you and your diabetes are unique-your needs may be different from someone elses. Then look at your weight loss options and take that one step at a time.

Take a deep breath, know that you aren't alone and that the lap band is still a very good possibility for you. I wish you the very best.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 10 years ago at the age of 35. As my weight would fluctuate so would my meds for diabetes. I was lucky that mine could be controlled with Glucophage alone.

I can tell you now that my weight loss with the lapband has allowed me to get off my diabetic meds. As of August, my PCP decided that I didn't need to take the glucophage anymore. My A1C tests have been the normal range for many years. I go back for one more test in December to make sure, but all my regular blood sugars that I've taken at home have been in the normal ranges.

As far as I am.. and my PCP is concerned, I'm no longer considered a diabetic!!

Beth

I remember the sick feelings I had when I was told I had diabetes Type II.

You will be sent to training about it. I didnt figure it all out quickly . My lab band has me off 3 of my 4 meds for diabetes .

Good luck

edie

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in September 04. I was immediately put on Metformin and a low carb/low fat diet. I managed to lose around 14lbs. Plus keep my blood sugar levels in the 80-90 range. A week prior to my surgery (7/29/05) I was taken off the Metformin. Since then my blood sugars are good. I feel good and continue to lose weight.

Just a suggestion. You mentioned you took your Vitamins, next time you go in for "fasting" bloodwork, take NOTHING, just drink some Water. If you feel shaky or not right after they draw your blood, ask for a glass of OJ and a small cookie or something sweet. (peanut butter works wonders.) Best of luck to you.

My diagnosis of diabetes this summer was the final straw and breaking point for me. I was 48, overweight,arthritis, diabetes, fluctuating blood pressure, two knee replacements, hypothyroidism and felt awful. The diabetes did it for me. I said "NO MORE! I'VE HAD IT!" I seriously looked into lapband and did it within the month.I had read about it and have 2 friends who have a band. I've tried all the diets known to man and knew I was at my last resort. Here I am now..3 weeks post-op today and feel better than I have in 20 years. I had to self-pay and it's already been worth the $16,000 out of my pocket. I'm down 24 pounds and have so much energy. I can't imagine how great I'm going to feel when I get another 50 pounds or so off. I'm already off the pain killers for arthritis and my doc. believes the meds for diabetes will be stopped too. This is the very best thing I've ever done for my body and my self-esteem. And no-one has to know that you've done this. Only my hubby knows and I have 21 year old and 15 year old sons living at home. I went to the mountains this weekend with 5 other family members and none are the wiser. I just told them I 'm cutting back.

Go ahead and do this! You'll be so glad.

llewis

I dont really consider diabetes as something you suffer with, because you do learn to deal with it. I'm 25 and ive been type 1 diabetic since i was 12. Been taking insulin shots all my life. I think i dealt with it, the moment i was told about it. I knew i had to grow up fast.

Ive a dr's appointment tomorrow to ask if im able to do lapband. I feel that it will help me with my diabetes and make me better. Losing weight and everything.

I'm guessing you'll probably get type 2. From what i've learned with type 2, diet and excercise. you'll be on track. Wishing you all the best

Don't worry, my reading was 480 when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. I went into a denial mode for about a week and walked and walked and walked and cut sugar out thinking it was going to make the diabetes go away. But a week later I was only down to 390. I accepted the illness and started taking meds and watching my diet and got it down to 150 to 170 in the mornings and falling to the point of shakes by early evening.

Now that I've had the surgery I am off my meds and the highest reading I ever get is still below 120.

You are heading in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck, take care.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Sherilynn, I was feeling the exact same way you are just about a month ago. I was diagnosed 2 weeks before surgery. But you will find that those blood sugar numbers will plummet within a couple of weeks after surgery.

I was between 160-190 pre-surgery. And now, four weeks out, I average 105.

Don't sweat it. And, if by chance, the numbers don't fall fast enough for your primary doc, you'll just have to take a pill everyday until they do get in the right range.

Everything will be fine. You're doing EXACTLY what you need to be doing to get your diabetes under control by having this surgery.

Good luck! ;)

You should be very thankful that you DID find out you were diabetic so that you can get treatment. Complications from this disease are greatly decreased when you gain control over your blood glucose levels. Being informed is something you that is very necessary to optimal health.

Talk with your MD, consult a registered dietician, and see a podiatrist once every month or two. It is very likely that once you lose the weigh, the diabetes will no longer be a health concern for you.

Sherilynn

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with type 2. The band absolutely helped save my life. A couple of my doctors wanted to put me on insulin my blood sugars were so high and not under control at all. I was just too afraid of the daily needles I couldn’t do it. Now that I have my band and have started losing weight I am almost completely off my glucose medicine. When you are first diagnosed with Diabetes it can be quite scary. I did a lot of crying myself. Fortunately the supervisor I had at work was diabetic also so he gave me a lot of information and let me know it wasn’t as scary as I had thought. You just have to take it one step at a time. Talk to your doctor and he will get you on the right medicine to help level out your blood sugars. If you have the strength to decide you want to be banded and get thought the surgery then you have what it takes to deal with diabetes.