Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Hints For First Days After Surgery.

I'm getting my sleeve on Dec 3rd does anyone have any tips or tricks for me? I'm getting nervous and super excited!

...just was sleeved monday so not alot of advice, still searching it out myself but it isnt that bad. Good luck, just really follow your preop diet:)

Dr never put me on a pre op diet. I see the NUT for the first time and have my final appointment with the surgeon on Thursday and then I have surgery on Monday.

never put me on a pre op diet.

Mortensenmommy

WLS December 3rd- excited, nervous - common feelings when you are about to have surgery

my dr. never put me on a pre-op diet- you could put yourself on a "self-imposed" diet" - do as i say not as i do ;)

you have one week before WLS

practice drinking as much Water as possible (64+ oz is the goal)

stop drinking 1/2 before you eat

don't drink with food/meal

wait about 45 minutes after you eat before you drink

these are approximate time periods - NUT will be more specific - always listen to your NUT :)

check with NUT regarding coffee,stop drinking regular and diet soda (problem w/carbonation)- your NUT might tell you different later

one NUT will say different from another NUT - they are all alittle "cracked" :lol:

decide you won't be a slave to your scale - only weigh yourself about once a week

all people lose weight at a different speed, and different amounts -

never compare yourself to others in regards to your weight loss amount, time it takes you to lose

get back into exercise

hmmmm, a couple of suggestions/comments :)

good luck

speedy recovery

Thank you so much. I'll start today.

I'm a week out (Nov 19th) and I sip, sip, sip. Protein every 2-3 hours, walk around the house to move things thru, rest when you can, take the pain med if you need it or to feel more comfortable (my drain site hurts) and DON'T do laundry!!! That was a really dumb move on my part. Good luck to you. I go for my 1st follow up tomorrow, so I may have no idea if these things work for everyone, but they work for me.

My advice... 1) As soon as the anesthesia wears off GET UP. The more you walk walk walk the better you feel. 2) sip all day long, it's your new mission to get in the Protein and Water. 3) sleep in an elevated position for a couple of nights (I ended up in my recliner a few nights). 4) keep track of what you eat and drink in a journal. I forget what I have had because it takes so long to finish something. 5) find a Protein Powder you like now. I tried several pre-op that tasted horrible. It makes it easier post op when you are having to force it down.

I am 1 1/2 weeks out and haven't had any complications. I wish you well.

My suggestions: Get all your food & supplies before surgery. I used better than boullion for liquids, lots of sugar free popsicles (went through 2 boxes in 10 days), I needed extra gauze & tape for my drain site & had to go to the store to get it. That sucked! Wean yourself off the sugar & caffeine now to save the withdrawal headaches later. Looks like you have a young child? Freeze some casseroles ahead of time so they can be re-heated so you won't have to cook.

Get Protein samples from bariatric pantry, unjury, etc. Don't try them now, they will probably taste different after surgery. Take lots of pics. I wish I had taken more, especially not fully clothed (like sports bra type) to compare to.

Good luck! Amy

Yeah I have a 1 year old and 2 year old twins. They will be with my mom and grandmother for a bit while I heal. Thank you all for the advise.

Yeah I have a 1 year old and 2 year old twins. They will be with my mom and grandmother for a bit while I heal. Thank you all for the advise.

Wow... Looks like u have ur hands full.. Lol. I will be sleeved on Monday too! Like u, im nervous and excited.. Im ready to lose this weight for good! Best wishes to u!!!

My only tip is take the pain meds like directed why feel pain. I took then a directed in hospital and then two days after then never had to take then again and I have a5 3 1 years old

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches