Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After All This What If It Doesn't Work......in Tears

I am so down and worried today. I am 5 days postop and physically feeling much better. But I am feeling so hungry. I am still on full liquids till Wednesday. I'm worried #1 because I am able to drink pretty much normally. I can get my shakes in and all my fluids and I don't feel any resistance. This cares me. I can even eat cream Soup and have no pain. #2 what if u did all this and I'm still hungry all the time with minimal resistance. My friend who had the sleeve wasn't hungry at all postop and could barely get anything in without feeling full? Why am I different? #3 I'm mourning food and normally when I'm so upset I would eat something comforting and I can't. I feel so lost....

What your feeling is completely normal. Most of us have felt like that. Trust me, there is resistance. You will feel it much more when you start on solids. Right now everything is sliding right down. The hunger will pass. There is left over grehlin left over in your body, it could take a few weeks to completely leave your body. Also, you said your mourning food, it could possibly be head hunger. When your thinking about food find something to do. Take a walk, light stretches, read. I started doing crafts and actually have had some success at selling my items. The feelings will pass, the most important part is don't give up! This is the hardest part. I am 11 months out and barely remember that time :-) good luck!

I felt the same way you did and was even able to eat regular foods 2weeks out. You'll won't be able to push the limits BELIEVE me!!! I had the same worries!!! I'm 6 months post op now. Highest weight was 283 I'm now 186 and expecting my 1st child they say I would never have!!! Take it easy and enjoy your journey!!! It will DEFINITELY work for you!!! Best wishes!!

post-16782-13838396912386_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using VST

post-19418-13813661134498_thumb.jpg

You are doing really good girl.... Fluffylibra is right, I might add calling your doctor and asking him/her if you can take a PPI (prilosec, tagamet, tums, omeprazole) to help with the stomach acid. Stomach acid mimicks hunger. Keep up the good work...:)

I felt the same way you did and was even able to eat regular foods 2weeks out. You'll won't be able to push the limits BELIEVE me!!! I had the same worries!!! I'm 6 months post op now. Highest weight was 283 I'm now 186 and expecting my 1st child they say I would never have!!! Take it easy and enjoy your journey!!! It will DEFINITELY work for you!!! Best wishes!!

So u were able to drink normally quickly? Did u have resistance on soft or mushy foods? How was your resistance in regular foods? How much are u able to eat before you feel resistance? By the way congratulations on your success!! You look wonderful!

That's for everyone's support! I hope u are all right and I will have resistance and will be sucessfull. I helps to know that others felt the same way in the beginning and are now sucessfull.

So u were able to drink normally quickly? Did u have resistance on soft or mushy foods? How was your resistance in regular foods? How much are u able to eat before you feel resistance? By the way congratulations on your success!! You look wonderful!

Yes, I felt I was able to drink anywhere from 6-8 oz from the start! Exception to days 1-5, I wasn't hungry but forced myself to get liquids in. Mashed potatoes filled me quickly but Jello, sugar free pops I could eat all day. I had meat off pizza my second week. Baked salmon chewed really good (2.5 oz) I felt the resistance and pushed tooooooooo far ONCE!!! I knew my limits after that. I had a feeling of my chest being crushed. Only took me one time to learn though. I wanted to clear my plate but learned quickly eat until I'm comfy whether food is leftover or not. It still kills me I can't eat a whole burger but some is better than NONE. Thank you! Hang in there it gets better. When u get to mushiness, I would suggest you try Shelly's Baked Ricotta, reminds me of lasagna w/o the noodles. SAVED MY LIFE DURING THAT STAGE!!! Website is called The World According To Eggface.

Good luck!

Remember... you just had all the nerves in your stomach severed! They have to heal in order to feel resistance. That's why it's so important to measure your food and eat slowly at this early stage. Don't risk your suture lines. I promise, you will feel resistance again (and it's hurts like heck!!!).

My sister puked for 6 days after her surgery. I never puked once. We're all different.

Follow the plan... it will work.

You are still on liquids and they will go through you quite quickly. Believe me, you will feel the restriction once you start something more solid. As for hunger, yes, I get hungry still - can actually get quite ravenous and I am on an acid reducer. However, it takes very little to satisfy that hunger. It will work for you as long as you make sure you make healthy choices in what you put in your mouth.

I was worried also as I was able to get my Water & Protein in from the 1st day after surgery but I never got hungry at all. I have lost about 36 lbs & did quite well over Thanksgiving. It will happen for you-do NOT give up.

The first few weeks for me were not easy. I had moments of depression, loss, fear. It was a very emotional time and some days it was physically difficult. Thank goodness that stage passes quickly. Hang in there.

Yes' date=' I felt I was able to drink anywhere from 6-8 oz from the start! Exception to days 1-5, I wasn't hungry but forced myself to get liquids in. Mashed potatoes filled me quickly but Jello, sugar free pops I could eat all day. I had meat off pizza my second week. Baked salmon chewed really good (2.5 oz) I felt the resistance and pushed tooooooooo far ONCE!!! I knew my limits after that. I had a feeling of my chest being crushed. Only took me one time to learn though. I wanted to clear my plate but learned quickly eat until I'm comfy whether food is leftover or not. It still kills me I can't eat a whole burger but some is better than NONE. Thank you! Hang in there it gets better. When u get to mushiness, I would suggest you try Shelly's Baked Ricotta, reminds me of lasagna w/o the noodles. SAVED MY LIFE DURING THAT STAGE!!! Website is called The World According To Eggface.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I am able to eat ice pops and Jello all day without a problem also. That worried me. Thanks for the advice.

You have all been very supportive and the responses are making me feel more comfortable that it will be ok. Thanks everyone.

It'll work...

It always works.

I felt very little restriction on liquids. I was drinking 64 oz of Water by day 3. By 3 weeks I was drinking 90. It's not till you start to eat solid foods that the sleeve really works its magic.

You are also learning right now about slider foods. Those things you're eating that are going right through you.....sliders. Once you start on solid Protein it gets so much better.

I was just like you, minus the tears. Now, 6.5 months later I've lost 150 lbs. You'll be fine.