Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Am I Doing Wrong?

I am 2 weeks post op. I drink sugar free drinks throughout the day as well as some sf pudding, yogurt and Jello. My doc said to start purees. Everytime I try something new I'm terribly sick and vomit. eggs made me sick, a little mashed potato made me sick as well as very thin oatmeal. Am I doing this wrong? Am I eating the wrong things? Feeling down...

You are doing nothing wrong. A lot of us had to take a step back because what our doctors say and what our bodies tell us can be very different sometimes. It sounds like your body isn't quite ready to move forward. I would go back to Clear Liquids and try again in a few days. Hang in there! What you are going through is completely normal- not fun. All the best!

I wouldn't say you're doing anything "wrong"....I'd say your sleeve isn't quite ready for pureed food yet. Try going another week on full liquids, and then try a little something thicker again. My first "thick" food was whipped cottage cheese (which was actually on my "full liquid" stage diet), and when I first tried it I had to thin it with a little skim milk. Don't push your sleeve....take things very slowly, and listen carefully to how your body reacts. If something makes you sick, don't eat it again for a while. If a certain consistency makes you sick, don't eat it again for a while. Eat what works for you, and don't worry about what "stage" you're in, or not in. As long as you're getting enough fluids, and Protein (even liquid protein), you'll be fine. Eventually, your sleeve will heal enough to be able to tolerate thicker foods...I promise. And, just as an FYI...I was on "full liquids" for a total of 7 weeks, because my sleeve didn't tolerate pureed foods when I was advanced. After a couple relatively miserable days trying to eat thicker foods, my surgeon pushed me back to full liquids for an additional 3 weeks. When I advanced the second time, everything went perfectly, and I've had no issues since. Oh...and I can't eat eggs anymore, either. I love the taste of them, but they make my stomach very upset. This is a relatively common issue, after VSG...along with people developing lactose intolerance.

I wish you all the best!

Laura

Yeah, it's not uncommon to find that the body has changed. I have terrible trouble with cold things. They make me feel very nauseated very quickly, which is bad because I love milk :( Everyone seems to react to being sleeved differently in terms of what we can tolerate now. Above all else just listen to your body. Try a little something and if it doesn't work, try something else. I've got a nice list of about 5-7 high Protein foods that have never given me trouble and if it weren't for those? I'd probably starve :P Well, more than I am, medically speaking.

Are all the persons on this site Sleeve Operated or some of them are RNY ones ? I could eat a lot of pureed and unpureed food in 3rd week. What am i doing wrong ?

This site is supposed to be sleeve only, so I figured everyone was sleeved. I don't think you're doing anything wrong as long as you're sticking to what your doctor told you to do! Everyone recovers at a different rate, every surgeon has a different idea of what to do after surgery (though it seems most guidelines are similar!). I was eating some things earlier than I was supposed to just because I wouldn't have gotten my Protein in any other way, (especially fish and eggs).

I found that the more "solid" something is, the less I can eat of it before I reach being full. I could drink a cup of broth, but maybe a half a cup of yogurt (ha! I wish). Then maybe just a couple ounces of tuna. The more liquid something is, the faster it's going to go through the stomach, which is why we're not supposed to drink before or after we eat.

I wouldn't say you're doing anything "wrong"....I'd say your sleeve isn't quite ready for pureed food yet. Try going another week on full liquids, and then try a little something thicker again. My first "thick" food was whipped cottage cheese (which was actually on my "full liquid" stage diet), and when I first tried it I had to thin it with a little skim milk. Don't push your sleeve....take things very slowly, and listen carefully to how your body reacts. If something makes you sick, don't eat it again for a while. If a certain consistency makes you sick, don't eat it again for a while. Eat what works for you, and don't worry about what "stage" you're in, or not in. As long as you're getting enough fluids, and Protein (even liquid protein), you'll be fine. Eventually, your sleeve will heal enough to be able to tolerate thicker foods...I promise. And, just as an FYI...I was on "full liquids" for a total of 7 weeks, because my sleeve didn't tolerate pureed foods when I was advanced. After a couple relatively miserable days trying to eat thicker foods, my surgeon pushed me back to full liquids for an additional 3 weeks. When I advanced the second time, everything went perfectly, and I've had no issues since. Oh...and I can't eat eggs anymore, either. I love the taste of them, but they make my stomach very upset. This is a relatively common issue, after VSG...along with people developing lactose intolerance.

I wish you all the best!

Laura

Laura - thank you so much for your reply. You made me feel so much better! I'm just going to taky my time and advance my diet slowly. Thank you all for replying -

even though I have a supportive family I sometimes feel alone in this. Jumping on here and sharing my concerns and getting feedback so quickly helps me soooo much!!!

I was kinda wondering what I was doing wrong too but I have just the opposite problem. Tomorrow will be four weeks since my surgery. In the first two weeks post-op I lost 24lbs. Over the last couple of weeks I've lost only 2lbs. I haven't found anything that disagrees with me (except Peanut Butter, which just felt like a brick sitting there) and I seem to be able to comfortably handle more than two ounces at a time. For example, I'm eating chicken salad right now, probably just had four ounces and I'm feeling full. I think I just don't know when I'm full sometimes though until it's uncomfortable. I haven't had anything way off the diet plan except a few whole wheat crackers with tuna salad and a bit of egg noodles in a tuna casserole. I'm hoping once I start getting my activity level up a bit I'll start losing faster again; I'm 63lbs down from my highest pre-op.

I am 2 weeks post op. I drink sugar free drinks throughout the day as well as some sf pudding, yogurt and Jello. My doc said to start purees. Everytime I try something new I'm terribly sick and vomit. eggs made me sick, a little mashed potato made me sick as well as very thin oatmeal. Am I doing this wrong? Am I eating the wrong things? Feeling down...

I didn't eat food for 5 weeks. Purees is not eggs. It is maybe a chilli and then you puree it in a blender. I wouldn't even say oatmeal is a puree. It still has to be liquid, just a little thicker. Mashed potatoes is too thick. So if you take some Soup and puree it you still should strain it to get any little chunks out.

I didn't eat food for 5 weeks. Purees is not eggs. It is maybe a chilli and then you puree it in a blender. I wouldn't even say oatmeal is a puree. It still has to be liquid, just a little thicker. Mashed potatoes is too thick. So if you take some Soup and puree it you still should strain it to get any little chunks out.

Ok...so I should puree a can of Soup (no chunks). Any other ideas? Thank you!

Ok...so I should puree a can of Soup (no chunks). Any other ideas? Thank you!

I lived off pureed Soups because it was the only thing that tasted good. Chilli was great! The first time I ate an egg I threw it up and waited a week. I pretty much consumed soup for the first six months.

I ate soup, protien drinks (fruity ones), but chocolate protien with some milk and ice is quite good. I can't drink the whole thing because it starts to taste yucky, but I can tolerate some of it. I ate Jello and frozen pops. I really at soup. That is it. I would buy the fresh Soups from the grocery store that were not in a can. chicken Chilli, Bean Chilli...Chicken noodle was ok too. chicken and rice ok.

BTW some people eat regular food after this surgery and some people are on a staged diet of liquids, purees and then soft foods. I could not imagine eating real food right after this surgery. I couldn't eat my first egg until week six and then I didn't eat one again until 4 or 5 months out because Soup was just better. I would say try another week on liquids/protien drinks.< /p>

I lived off pureed Soups because it was the only thing that tasted good. Chilli was great! The first time I ate an egg I threw it up and waited a week. I pretty much consumed Soup for the first six months.

I ate soup, protien drinks (fruity ones), but chocolate protien with some milk and ice is quite good. I can't drink the whole thing because it starts to taste yucky, but I can tolerate some of it. I ate Jello and frozen pops. I really at soup. That is it. I would buy the fresh soups from the grocery store that were not in a can. chicken Chilli, Bean Chilli...Chicken noodle was ok too. chicken and rice ok.

what kind of soup? How did you prepare it? Thank you!!!!