Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Did It...

Hi Everyone~

This isn't the first time I've been on this forum. I was referred to VST by a patient of mine after asking her about her experience having the sleeve. She had given me several sites to check out in order to help me with my decision that I have been sitting on for almost 2 years. After going through the site and reading what others had/are going through, I decided to take the plunge. Within a 2 months time, I did all of my bloodwork, psych eval, doctor visits, etc. Then set my date for 11/13 for my surgery. I have been overweight ever since college and my highest weight reached was 252 lbs. Throughout my life, I have been involved with sports, my photography, as well as anything that kept me active. I have gone through many life events that made my self-esteem either go through the roof or drop me below zero, and it all went back to my weight. I used to be a emotional eater years before, but then went from that to being an emotional shopper B) . As I had gotten into my late 20s, I was comfortable with who I am, but I kept thinking about the future and what I had wanted. I do not have any children right now, but I do want some in the near future....and I want to be healthy not only for myself, but for them as well.

I had my sleeve on 11/13 and so far, I have lost 10 lbs. I'm back at home now, but am starting to go through some real tough emotions from this. I feel myself going up and down and taking it out on both my parents who are helping me through recovery. Since I've been home, I've had to have an IV put in because of dehydration, which is mostly my fault because I try to keep track of what I'm drinking, but it is a lot harder than I thought. I don't know if I'm having "buyer's remorse" and if this is normal. I would love any advice on this as well as any tips to overcome obstacles that I'm sure will be headed my way. I read so many posts by others that are truly inspirational, but I know that each person is a different case. I'm from Louisiana, so if there are also local people that I can get in touch with to have a built-in local support group, I would love that as well. Thanks everyone!

Noel

Noel -

I'm just one day ahead of you sleeved 11/12. From what I've read "buyer's remorse" is pretty common. I've had a little bit myself yesterday. It didn't last long, but I think it's common. What I found that helps me get the Water down is crushed ice w/my Water or crystal light. I chew on the ice and drink a little as I go. Another tool that has helped is myfitnesspal app installed on my cell phone. My Dr told me about it back in July and I started using it right away to track my calories, activity and water intake. It is really easy to use and is a great tool. Hang in there and good luck.

Hi Noel!

I was sleeved on Oct. 30th, so I'm 21 days out. I too have gone through the emotional period of "did I do the right thing". I've lost about 25lbs so far and couldn't be more thrilled! Of course we all want to lose faster but just because we have the sleeve doesn't mean we don' t have work hard for our results.

My advice on getting enough liquids in is ALWAYS have something to drink within arms reach, if you can, sip every 5 minutes or so or at least every 15 minutes. I even take a bottle of Water to bed and every time I turn or happen to wake up, which is a lot, I take a sip. Find something you enjoy drinking and stick with it. At first it was Gatorade for me... then I kind of got sick of that and Water was my calling.

I'm sure your parents understand you are going through a very emotional time, but just remember that you are doing this for yourself and your future. It will get better, I promise.

I am one month out and I hate it! My stomach hurts all the time! food smells make me sick I can't get my Protein down.. I am down 60lbs! But I am also dizzy all the time so I can't drive... I hate having to depend on people to take me places! My husband lives 3hrs away so don't see him much. I need a friend !! Anyone in San Diego ca area here???

@Cher - Thanks so much for the encouragement. I was a HUGE ice person before the diet so I'm sure this bad habit :blink: will come in handy this time around haha. I have been doing the switch between the CL & Water and it's helping. I also downloaded that app to iPhone and its great! Thanks for the tip!

@TheNEWMe - I believe actually remembering I have a drink there is my entire problem :angry: . I always have a drink around, especially at work, but then all of a sudden all the ADHD "shiny things" surround me and I forget about it. After reading your response, you're right in fact that I just have to get my mind made and set that even making sure I don't forget about my drink sitting there as being one of the things I have to work hard at.