Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post Up And Mourning Food And Being Able To Eat

So, I'm 1 week post op and I'm mourning food and the prospect of ever being able to eat more then dainty portions again... I'm surrounded by people who are of normal builds who can eat a whole plate of food or a cheeseburger and fries and still maintain their normal size. It frightens me to think that I will never be able to finish a cheeseburger or indulge and eat a whole plate of Thanksgiving food. I understand that my size and lifestyle prior to the sleeve wasn't normal either, but I have serious anxiety about never being able to guzzle a bottle of Water or finish a sandwich again. Is this just the price I have to pay?

Will I ever be able to do these things again? Ultimately I would like to be at goal weight and maintain with about 2000 to 2500 calories a day like a normal human being and be able to actually gulp down some water after a good work out. Will this never happen? Please refrain from flaming me, only supportive, informative and non-judgmental responses please.

I have been wondering this as well. I just want to take a drink, not sips. Any advice would be great.

I know your pain! I'm already mourning food, it has been such a huge part of my life (not to mention why I'm so huge). I am really contemplating seeing someone (psych) to help me through this transition. I have my surgery on Dec. 3, wish me luck.

I wonder the same thing lately now that surgery is only 2 wk away. But I can say lately I can " sometimes" be satisfied with small amts of things so I hope that will continue or get better. I am supposed to be on a 4 wk pre op. First 2 was a physician diet and last 2 wks is Optifast. I'm going to admit the free day I had between I totally fell off the wagon. I ate as if I would never see food again. I was disappointed but thiught I would make today a new day and followed my optifast. I know that's why I need this tool. We are all used to being full instead of not hungry. Good luck to you!

I'm one week out also and having the same worries. My best friend is a bikini model... I wish I was kidding.... She eats like a horse. It drives me mad! This thanksgiving is going to be horrible. I don't know about you- but my family celebrates EVERYTHING with food. Oh- you had a baby lets go have dinner... Oh- you lost your first tooth lets have a feast. It's going to be hard. I know most people on maintenance are maintaining on 1200-1500 calories- some lower though.

I'm not mourning food I'm celebration the loss of 36 pounds! Gone forever! Hell yes! Good bye food hello size 6 (coming soon)

I struggled with these thoughts too, and am still pre-op. I have been trying to redefine my relationship with food and I have gotten to a point where I think I'll be ok with having "some" of what it is I want. I know from my experience that "finishing your plate" came from childhood. Portion size be dammed. Physically you will get the full stomach satisfaction, so maybe it won't be so hard. I think a great thing you did is post. So many of us think we must be the only ones that feel a certain way, once we get responses, we don't feel so bad about ourselves and begin to see a little light at the end of tunnel.

Being on liquids must be doubly hard, alone with our thoughts and head hunger rearing its nasty head. Just keep active here, and remind yourself that you can do this.

Good luck and stay positive!!

I feel what you're going through...I had my sleeve Nov 13th...and I'm starving! Yes the Protein Drinks help.but let's be real, I'm hungry. I had a nervous breakdown on day 5 so I just went to bed..only to wake up from a dream of me eating a McRib with a Dr. pepper...I keep asking myself if I made a mistake. I know I didn't its just me going through the motions. It has to get better. It just has to... now my only obstacle is Thanksgiving...lol... keep your head up

Bryan,

Here's another thanks for having the courage to bring this up. I wish I had answers for you but I'm yet another who has the same thoughts and concerns. I'm getting sleeved this Friday. Of course, I know I'll miss food to some degree but you brought up the issue of not being able to guzzle a bottle of Water after a good workout which I hadn't really thought a lot about. That feeling of quenching that huge thirst after a great workout is a wonderful feeling. Will we never be able to guzzle water again? How on earth do we keep hydrated after big workouts? Hummmm......

So' date=' I'm 1 week post op and I'm mourning food and the prospect of ever being able to eat more then dainty portions again... I'm surrounded by people who are of normal builds who can eat a whole plate of food or a cheeseburger and fries and still maintain their normal size. It frightens me to think that I will never be able to finish a cheeseburger or indulge and eat a whole plate of Thanksgiving food. I understand that my size and lifestyle prior to the sleeve wasn't normal either, but I have serious anxiety about never being able to guzzle a bottle of Water or finish a sandwich again. Is this just the price I have to pay?

Will I ever be able to do these things again? Ultimately I would like to be at goal weight and maintain with about 2000 to 2500 calories a day like a normal human being and be able to actually gulp down some Water after a good work out. Will this never happen? Please refrain from flaming me, only supportive, informative and non-judgmental responses please.[/quote']

I am five weeks post op and completely understand. I wonder the same thing and have actually had some days feeling regret even though I know this is better for my health in the long run.

Bryan, well being out 3+ years and being as "normal" as possible, I'll tell you this. I for one NEVER want to go back to how I was, I never want to gulp anything ever again. At 3 years out I have learned Portion Control by eyeballing it. My portions are served on a teacup saucer. A spa lean cuisine is too much at times. I can only eat a 3" subway sandwich and that makes me want to puke. 1/2 - 3/4 Breakfast taco, and when drinking Water, soda, etc I can drink 1/2 glass "normally". . . in the beginning all this is very regretable especially around holiday times. . but take heart that it does get easier and soon it will be old hat to you. After a while you will feel "normal". . . good luck and hopefully this wasn't too harsh for you. . .

I've noticed that most everyone who's responded is pre-op or very newly sleeved. I'm 6, almost 7 months out. Down 75 pounds from an all time high of 254. BP down, cholesterol levels normal, blood sugar perfect, sleep apnea gone, shopping at normal people stores for regular size 12s and 14s (a first in my life!), crossing my legs like a lady, taking a few flights of stairs without a thought, week 7 of Couch to 5K (ridiculous!), being hit on by men half my age, guzzling Water after a workout, eating reasonable portions of Protein first, then veggies and fruit, getting at least one Protein Drink a day as insurance (and I love me a tall iced latte with vanilla protein). What's not to love? I'm 54, and my ONLY regret is that I didn't do this sooner. We celebrated my mom's birthday last week at a four star French restaurant. I tasted everything, gravitated mostly toward my filet and seafood appetizers, shared with others, had a lovely glass of wine and focused on appreciating my mom's longevity and support, and my husband's affection. Have I mentioned how happy I am that food is not the crutch and anchor and absolute center of my life? It truly feels like I've been let out of a cage. I'm not sure what the future holds for you, but I encourage you to read some of the posts of folks denied surgery for many complicated insurance or physical or financial reasons. You have been given a great opportunity to change your life, bug only you can embrace the chance and be grateful for it and run with it. Best of success to you; this too shall pass!

I've noticed that most everyone who's responded is pre-op or very newly sleeved. I'm 6, almost 7 months out. Down 75 pounds from an all time high of 254. BP down, cholesterol levels normal, blood sugar perfect, sleep apnea gone, shopping at normal people stores for regular size 12s and 14s (a first in my life!), crossing my legs like a lady, taking a few flights of stairs without a thought, week 7 of Couch to 5K (ridiculous!), being hit on by men half my age, guzzling Water after a workout, eating reasonable portions of Protein first, then veggies and fruit, getting at least one Protein Drink a day as insurance (and I love me a tall iced latte with vanilla protein). What's not to love? I'm 54, and my ONLY regret is that I didn't do this sooner. We celebrated my mom's birthday last week at a four star French restaurant. I tasted everything, gravitated mostly toward my filet and seafood appetizers, shared with others, had a lovely glass of wine and focused on appreciating my mom's longevity and support, and my husband's affection. Have I mentioned how happy I am that food is not the crutch and anchor and absolute center of my life? It truly feels like I've been let out of a cage. I'm not sure what the future holds for you, but I encourage you to read some of the posts of folks denied surgery for many complicated insurance or physical or financial reasons. You have been given a great opportunity to change your life, bug only you can embrace the chance and be grateful for it and run with it. Best of success to you; this too shall pass!

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to read. I feel better already! :o)

I've noticed that most everyone who's responded is pre-op or very newly sleeved. I'm 6' date=' almost 7 months out. Down 75 pounds from an all time high of 254. BP down, cholesterol levels normal, blood sugar perfect, sleep apnea gone, shopping at normal people stores for regular size 12s and 14s (a first in my life!), crossing my legs like a lady, taking a few flights of stairs without a thought, week 7 of Couch to 5K (ridiculous!), being hit on by men half my age, guzzling Water after a workout, eating reasonable portions of Protein first, then veggies and fruit, getting at least one Protein Drink a day as insurance (and I love me a tall iced latte with vanilla protein). What's not to love? I'm 54, and my ONLY regret is that I didn't do this sooner. We celebrated my mom's birthday last week at a four star French restaurant. I tasted everything, gravitated mostly toward my filet and seafood appetizers, shared with others, had a lovely glass of wine and focused on appreciating my mom's longevity and support, and my husband's affection. Have I mentioned how happy I am that food is not the crutch and anchor and absolute center of my life? It truly feels like I've been let out of a cage. I'm not sure what the future holds for you, but I encourage you to read some of the posts of folks denied surgery for many complicated insurance or physical or financial reasons. You have been given a great opportunity to change your life, bug only you can embrace the chance and be grateful for it and run with it. Best of success to you; this too shall pass![/quote']

Thank you for these words of encouragement!!

That's exactly how I've felt...I was sleeved Nov 5. It's just now starting to get better for me. Totally normal to mourn food after surgery. I knew it would be an emotional adjustment but nothing prepared me for the initial shock of missing food/normal amt of food SO much! I think after a few months and weight is down some it will feel worth it. But I'm not gonna lie...the past few weeks I've had a lot of doubts of whether I made the right decision and whether life will be harder now. I feel absolutely ridiculous sitting down to eat with my family or at a dinner party and having 2 oz of food in front of me when everyone else has heaping plates.