Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Mom Is Having Surgery On 12/03

I think I'm more nervous about hers than I was my own. I had the sleeve in march and have awesome results and no big issues. But now that my mom is about to start the process all I can think is...what if she's one of the people that has problems and I've made it seem too easy? Has anyone gone through anything similar to this? My mom is in her 50s and her main health issue is diabetes. Des her age make her more likely to have bad side effects?

sleeve in march - awesome results - mom is about to start the process My mom is in her 50s- main health issue is diabetes. Des her age make her more likely to have bad side effects?

bethany

glad you are doing so well - exciting your mom is about to embark on her new healthier life too

but oh no - say its not sooooo.................

Mom's in her 50's??? reallly OMG :( ;)

sorry bud i am not really laughing at you, just smiling :)

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

11 months later

11/16/12

138 lbs

98 lbs down

2 lbs til goal and century club :)

i'll be 59 in about 2 months, and i'm still around kicking

i had NO problems pre-op, post op - recovery - no gas, excess tiredness - had a smooth recovery

i just have to get out of my rocking chair once and awhile, adjust my hearing aide, clean my dentures, change my depends, then start all over again :D

oh no, i'm sorry i'm just enjoying this too much!!! :lol:

ok....seriously - you are being concerned about your mom, that is really nice and totally understandable to be worried about your mom's outcome from pending WLS

i can guarentee you there are no guarentee's - but you know that -_-

hopefully all will go smoothly - prepare for the worst, but hope and expect the best :)

i had been on diabetes meds et al for the past 20+ years

diabetes meds/insulin - high blood pressure meds - CPAP - all disappeared early Post Op

age didn't effect me - you are as young as you feel

as mom loses weight and gets healthier - she will eventually be mistaken for you "more mature" sister :)

i don't think looking from the outside that your age gives any bad/different side effects

maybe, only thing i could think - age/metabolism, exercising, maybe a little different when you are in your 50's then when you are in your 20's - but everything is different as age is a factor. hope i'm saying this right

lets not sell mom short - hopefully she'll follow your great footsteps and you can help each other out - after all, she's gotta be pretty terrific, she raised you, and look how you turned out ;)

i always love it when i see family members being sleeved togehter - spouses, siblings, mom and daughter etc.

good luck to the both of you

extra good thoughts to mom

btw

there are sleevers in their 50's and 60's too!!! maybe 70's - whats in a # right?

hope you didn't mind my silly jokes, cuz thats all they were

have a great week-end

Haha oh gosh I didn't think about how that sounded! I meant is there a huge difference in recovery from the perspective of me being in my 20s vs my mom who is in her 50s. I just worry I have her going into this thinking it'll be super easy...and I didn't know with the age difference if recovery is different.

The info you have me is great! Thanks! And don't rock to hard in that rocking chair!!!

no offense was taken here, enjoyed joke/laugh

haven't had this much fun since i went into the old folks home :lol: :lol:

you made my day

kiddo, "I rock" but not in any ol' chair

luv ya :D