Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help - Was Sleeved On Monday The 12Th

Hi: came home from hosp. today - was sleeved early on Monday. Is it normal to barely be able to sip Water. Forget about anyting else. I have unbearable gas - my adomen is the size of a beachball. When does hte gas go away and waht is up with the hearburn. I'm taking prescription prilosec. Please tell me it gets better. I feel weak - my Dr. said not to worry about taking in Liquid Protein for a few days and to go slow. PLEASE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! sorry for commplaining, but this is killer

Walk, walk, walk, walk.

That is the only way to get rid of all that Gas.

My surgery was on the 7th. I too could not get in the liquids.

I just made myself get at least some in. By Day 3 I went onto Gatorade. That al least has the Fluid and electrolytes your body will be needing.

By day 4 I was getting at least a 16oz bottle of Gatorade in. I started adding in Water and AppleJuice.

At this point, a week out, I am doing pretty damn well.

Don't get discouraged, I know you will. Just keep looking up and forward, this will pass.

I had a horrible time with heartburn before surgery. Non since the surgery.

How are you taking that Prilosec. If it is the capsule. That getting stuck might be some of your pain.

I can't even take the smallest of capsules. Tried my Migraine med after I got home. Damn thing was in my stomach and felt like a Knife in my chest for hours.

Good Luck, and Walk, walk, walk.....

Yep. Take your time. The day after I was given 1 oz every hr... Don't go any faster then that for today.

Gas is gonna be a normal thing, get some gas x strips, they come highly recommended Around here and wile for me they don't work miracles they do provide some relief. Can't really comment on the heart burn. Sorry.

Everything you have described sounds normal.

I didn't feel that my ab was blown up from the gas, but, many people experience alot of pain, especially in the shoulder. Some folks swear by the gas X strips but i didn't find they made any difference. Walk, walk walk - throughout the day, around the house, that is what helped dissipate the gas.

Staying hydrated is the priority right now. Tiny sips... all day long. I used a shot glass an set targets /goals to finish a shot every 15 minutes (well, maybe it was every 30 minutes, I don't remember now). That was alot of work!

The heartburn should come under control with the meds... if it doesn't you should talk to surgeon. However, I found that plain Water gave me an acidy stomach in the early days. I swore by warm, not hot, herbal tea. For some reason, that didn't bother my tummy.

Hang in there, it gets better!

ok, thanks - I feel like crying for some reason. When did the gas go away? Is that the pain I'm feeling? When were you able to take in liquid Protein? thanks again

Ok, you are normal. They blow up you stomach with air so they can work around in there easier. Have someone get you some gasx strips, those work wonders. You probably want to sleep in a recliner or something tonite. I did for the first two nights. The Water is very very very important, but yes it goes down in sips at a time. You will probably have pains in your upper left chest, this is from the air in your belly area. make sure to get up and move around at least once an hour. This also will help the gas bubbles get moving around and out. The heartburn is normal. But remember liquid liquids and move move move. It will pass, literally, very soon. Congrats on the surgery. Good Luck

It will get much better trust me. I was in hell during my hospital stay, it took about 2-3 days to go from regretful to confident, today (1 week out) I'm almost ecstatic and ready to gloat... You'll get there just take your time.

Yes you need to prevent dehydration, but remember your recovering so don't force it. Also remember listen to your body before you listen to any of us, I'll tell you better then we can just gonna find out what your signals are.

It is normal. I was a huge chugger before the surgery, afterward the little pill cups of Water they required me to drink seemed like a lake.

When I started to post I was the first one. A number of folks jumped into help ahead of me and said what I was going to. That's the nature of the coolness of the sleevers here. :)

Gas can hurt like thunder. I can't tell you when it will go away but it will. Somehow walking helps it work it's way out like IMAbear said. Try the GasX, couldn't hurt.

thank you - I feel like crying - like a baby - and I'm not like that! Really I am a very together woman - LOL. My dr. said it was a perfect textbook surgery - the pain is unbelievable - I will walk now - and sip. I'll post again tomorrow and tell you all how it is going. All of you folks on here are wonderful people. We should meet somewhere at a destination vacation some time in the future ;)

IT sounds to me like the pain is all gas and that can be just awful. I am sorry you have it so bad. It does go away though, and walking really does help.

It's gets better!! First week gas pain is horrid! Just walk a lot a lot a lot!! && try to get ur Water in. Slowly but surely even a sip at a time!

Hi: came home from hosp. today - was sleeved early on Monday. Is it normal to barely be able to sip Water. Forget about anyting else. I have unbearable gas - my adomen is the size of a beachball. When does hte gas go away and waht is up with the hearburn. I'm taking prescription prilosec. Please tell me it gets better. I feel weak - my Dr. said not to worry about taking in liquid Protein for a few days and to go slow. PLEASE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! sorry for commplaining' date=' but this is killer[/quote']

I, too, was sleeved Monday and I am experiencing what you have said to a T. I am definitely in the regret stage of this process. I can't drink warm or cold (especially cold) because it feels like an elephant standing on my stomach. I've been walking and having my husband beat on my back and that helps during that moment. If you find anything that helps, let me know and I will let you know if I stumble on any miracle help!

i I am new to this site. I had vsg on Tuesday and have exactly the same issues as you. Horrible stomach cramps and no passing gas just a few burps. I bot out of the hospital yesterday morning and was ready to go back in I am in so much pain. Feels like menstrual cramps but instead around the belly button. I called the doctor at 9 pm last night and he says all this is nortmal, so I guess we will just have to wait it out.

I was sleeved Tuesday as well. I made the mistake of sleeping with only a pillow last night. I've been up since 4. I just can't name my discomfort. It's my stomach but is it gas? Healing? Acid? Nausea? I don't know. I've already used my phenergan cream, protonix and a gasx strip.

Oh please tell me again this gets better. I just feel like there is a large gas bubble that my liquids have to fight to get around.

I guess misery loves company. Seems lots of us battle a bit when we get home.

I had chewable gasx and I ate a bunch of them! I think they helped. The sipping of the Water is the only way to get it down. I'm at 10 weeks and I still can't tolerate plain water. Also, I was told not to worry about Protein the first week just stay hydrated.