Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Dad/husband. Scared Straight. Just Got My Surgery Date. Please Help With Advice

Hi guys, I am very new to this site. I've posted before like a month ago. everyone was really helpful.

So i just got my official date of surgery. it is January 8th. I am so scared, nervous, yet excited. I just hope I'm ok and make it out alive. death is by far my biggest and greatest fear. I just want to live and be ok for my baby girl, my wife, my family, friends, and myself.

i need to fast with a liquid diet for 6 weeks before i have my surgery, per my surgeon. anyone else have to fast for 6 weeks? i heard 2 weeks was the norm...

maybe it's because i do weight 370??

actually i am now down to 362. i am trying a little to lose weight even before my liquid diet. i want my liver to be small so the doctors can get in and out and i have a better chance of survival/recovery etc.

so has anyone done the liquid diet? what is it like? is it all like Protein Shakes, slim fast, boost and ensure and Water? any coffee or alcohol at all? i doubt alcohol bc that effects the liver correct?

what is life right after surgery. i am expect the first week to be brutal. people say they wish they never had it during the first few days, that true?

what can you eat and drink?

also well after surgery, can you drink coffee and alcohol or no? how about beer and soda, can you have drink that ever again?

also how do you guys eat now? are the portions really that small??

any additional tips or advice is greatly appreciated. from the bottom of my heart. i thank you.

I'm still pre-op, so all I have to say is. "6 WEEKS! Are you kidding me!" Seems a bit over the top- to me.

The first couple weeks it more of a mind thing. I was miserable. I wanted to eat. I'm only 3 weeks out n still sad but knowing soon I can eat brings light. 6weeks is insane. I said if I can do a liquid diet period I wouldn't need this surgery. I started my preopt a little earlier then then said trying to do a little extra it went good until the weekend b4 surgery. My mind lost it. I gave up. My mind was what good is being thin if I'm not happy eating food brings me happiness. That's where I'm stuck on. But yes the food intake is small. I eat some mash potatoes only child get about 4 small spoons full max. eggs etc. Good luck with everything. I think we all feel the same emotions u mentioned. But I went to Mexico n came out alive;) so I'm sure ull b fine

Hi guys, I am very new to this site. I've posted before like a month ago. everyone was really helpful.

So i just got my official date of surgery. it is January 8th. I am so scared, nervous, yet excited. I just hope I'm ok and make it out alive. death is by far my biggest and greatest fear. I just want to live and be ok for my baby girl, my wife, my family, friends, and myself.

i need to fast with a liquid diet for 6 weeks before i have my surgery, per my surgeon. anyone else have to fast for 6 weeks? i heard 2 weeks was the norm...

maybe it's because i do weight 370??

actually i am now down to 362. i am trying a little to lose weight even before my liquid diet. i want my liver to be small so the doctors can get in and out and i have a better chance of survival/recovery etc.

so has anyone done the liquid diet? what is it like? is it all like Protein shakes, slim fast, boost and ensure and Water? any coffee or alcohol at all? i doubt alcohol bc that effects the liver correct?

what is life right after surgery. i am expect the first week to be brutal. people say they wish they never had it during the first few days, that true?

what can you eat and drink?

also well after surgery, can you drink coffee and alcohol or no? how about beer and soda, can you have drink that ever again?

also how do you guys eat now? are the portions really that small??

any additional tips or advice is greatly appreciated. from the bottom of my heart. i thank you.

Hi there! I'm 9 1/2 months post-op, and my husband is almost four months post-op, so I can answer your questions from our experiences...I understand your fear of death, but neither my husband nor I had any complications, if that helps.

Six weeks seems like a long time, but do whatever your dr. tells you to do...it will, like you said, make the surgery go easier on you. My husband lost 25lbs. before surgery and he recovered much better than I did (I only lost 11lbs.). The more you can do to prepare before surgery, the better! I can't really answer about the ins and outs of the liquid diet - I only had to do that one day before my surgery, and it was Protein drinks and Water only. I've heard the liquid diet is hard. My one day was pretty hard! :(

Someone posted some advice on this site I held onto and found to be true - "The first month sucks." The first month was really hard because you're recovering from surgery! You won't feel good for about a week or two, then have less energy for another week or two, then you'll be fine (please remember that I'm just basing this on my experience - everyone's experience seems to be so different! But my hubby's experience was very similar, although he did bounce back quicker and easier than I did). I did feel regret the first few days, but I really think that's because my whole world had changed - food was such a big part of my world, and it was gone! The "head" part of surgery was a bit of a struggle for me, and after a couple of days, that feeling of regret was gone. My hubby never regretted it.

I waited three months, but now I drink coffee and alcohol (alcohol only occasionally). I haven't tried beer or soda because of the fizz - I hear the fizz does not feel good. My hubby drank a beer about a week ago, and he had to drink it really slowly, and couldn't finish it. So you can drink those things, but you may not want to. :) We eat tiny portions...we like fish, so we'll pan fry some salmon and I can eat about 2.5 oz and he can eat 2.8ish...it's fun and amazing how little you can eat and feel full! I just hit 100lb weight loss, and after almost four months, my husband has lost 50lbs. It will be the best thing for your family that you're doing this! Good luck, and if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to share!

6 weeks liquid seems more than the norm, but if that is what your doc suggests, then that is what it is. You are paying him to have your best interests first. As to what it will involve, he/she will inform you.

Everyone is nervous before surgery, and run the worst case scenario through their heads. Do your research , and try to relax, think realistically . Easier said than done!

I am three weeks out today. The first couple of days are rough , but I never

thank you guys so much. you're words, advice, and experience really helps me and it means a lot. thank you. i am really excited to see what life will bring with the weight loss. i've been heavy pretty much my entire life. probably starting around 12,13,14 somewhere in there. always husky and overweight with a belly. id say after highschool, college time, i really blew up. about 5 years ago i lost about 80lbs. kept it off for maybe a year. even then though i was still weighing around 265-270lbs. which is still a lot. you know? but back then i watched what i ate plus worked out 7 days a week for 1 year solid. but back then i was living at home, no wife, no kid, and only 1 mediocre job. now i got married have a baby bought a house and work 2 jobs so its like how can i work out??? i mean i know i shouldnt eat crap still but id say lack of exercise is my downfall and the fact that i have no time now. but still like i said there's no excuse for fast food like mcdonalds and chinese and soda and chips and icecream etc :'(

I heard and read both, forums and group,Thing is most are told its all no for a start I guess.

Those who drink coffe seems usual they waited a month post surgery only but more longer even over a year feeling right with it, also heard a few didn't wait so much. coffee alone has no calories though.

They can be comforatble with one cup,some more is that they drink it 1/4 cup at a time and so on. Some have other sources to replace like green tea might be maybe.Some still just do not.

Soda is a no no because it aids in what expands the stomach and makes it stretch faster and more. Most soda's have no nutritional and Vitamin content and the ones with sugar are no good to more doctors these days.

Some one banded said that alcohol can not be drank in any normal quantity and will get you real drunk very fast, I am unsure that it efects stretch of stomach or what I might imagine to use for another example at all. It may be that alcohol will be absorbed to quickly to just have a couple rounds and and personaly did I do it I wouldn't ever think to just use straight liquoer unmixed again. Couple rounds seems filling to me from listening to others too. One thing on that you must know already I'd bet is that alcohol is a heavy calorie drink on its own too, beer more so than others with no say cream additives ect..

My thing is smoking, cigs that is, I may if fully quit last the longer year or what have you added to anything I do after quit for time.

Sorry....cat jumped up and sent my response! Anywho....

I never regretted the surgery. I was just glad it was behind me and I was on the healing side of things. And every day it got better. I still have pain, but not much and not constant.

I eat 4oz TOPS now. It may seem like nothing, but believe me it is enough. I'm not hungry. I'm full. I do find myself craving these salty little chips I used to eat, but I wouldn't dare at this point. I can have a reasonable amount in the future.

My doctor says no alcohol from here on out. I know there are different thoughts on that. His reasoning is that alcohol is so hard on our bodies,and we really only have a little stomach left. If we damage that, it would have to be replaced with intestines. Before surgery I enjoyed a glass of wine now and then. Last night, we had a fire outside on the patio with friends and family over. That would have been a night where I would have liked a glass. But it honestly didn't even appeal to me. But if you feel you have an alcohol situation, talk honestly with your doctor well before surgery.

I have lost twenty one pounds so far and feel great. My blood sugar is down to the point I'm not taking insulin anymore. I was on four injections a day before.

This surgery has been an amazing thing for me at only three weeks! Do your research, there is no reason to believe it won't be for you. Just do what your doc says, pay attention to your body, and enjoy the results!

These post are excellent....I am going this Tues the 13th and starting to get anxious. One stupid question to mendymayhem....what are 4oz TOPS?

Thanks! Best of luck to all of us on this journey!!

These post are excellent....I am going this Tues the 13th and starting to get anxious. One stupid question to mendymayhem....what are 4oz TOPS?

Thanks! Best of luck to all of us on this journey!!

I meant that 4 oz is the most I can possibly eat at this point. Lol.

OMG....just had a total blonde moment. Hahaha....SORRY. After reading all the Protein Drink names and mixes...I thought it was something I had to buy! DUH, Thank you.

Cannot wait to only be able to and only WANT to eat 4 oz. TOPS! Thanks

What guidelines were you given for the liquid diet? Some people do shakes and Soups during the day and have a Protein & veg for dinner. I was on a low calorie diet for months with the target of 10% loss by surgery date, which I accomplished starting at 1600 calories, then 1400, then 1200. Yes that's low, but I am a woman and barely 5 ft but still I started at 280 lb. I only really did Clear Liquids the day before surgery. I think the intent is to lose as much weight as possible before surgery to shrink the liver and make your surgery safer, and they want to see comittment on your part.

Post surgery is usually a few days of clear liquids then full liquids including thinned out hot Cereal, creamy soups, yogurt, SF puddings, then pureed and then soft foods, slowly introducing foods without putting undo pressure on your tiny healing stomach.

By 6 weeks full solids. You will get full restriction with dense protein. During the earlier eating stages not so much. I do have a glass of wine once in awhile, but not carbonated drinks.< /p>

Good luck, have your doctor give you specifics on how he wants you to proceed.

Some of the reasons for the 6 week liquids are prob the liver size, like you mentioned, and some doctors want to see if you can keep doing something you are told to for an extended amount of time. Your success will hinge on being able to follow orders for a LONG time. That includes not drinking coffee (make that caffein...) and alcahol, fizzy diet or reg sodas, beer and such. The reasoning behind not drinking sodas are that the long term studies are pointing to weight gain with regular AND diet sodas. The fizz does seem to cause some problems as well. We all know beer is full of carbs, and our little stomachs will be tender for quite a while, perhaps over a year. I am almost at 2 years, and there are still things that tummy just doesnt agree with, and i have a pretty cast Iron tummy. I can just now eat hot chili after two years, and I always used to eat things HOT. We have a set of habits, some of which have gotten us into trouble... now is the time to change as many of them long term that we can... or at least part of the weight will come back on. I speak from experience, having gained 11-12 pounds. I know it is from eating habits (junk food and grazing) and a reduction in exercise (knee bone spurs... working to remedy this) Even those 12 pounds tell me the sleeve is working pretty well because my portion sizes are better than before surgery... the more changes you can willingly make in the quality of what you eat, the better for you and your kids and busy lifestyle. I have a glass of wine now and then, I stay away from caffein, I eat almost anything I want, Protein first, and try and keep the portion sizes down... do the best you can. It will pay off in better weight loss and maintenance. Best of luck.