Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, It Didn't Happen....

I went into the hospital yesterday for the sleeve and gall bladder removal. I came out with my stomach intact and minus the Gall bladder. Half way through my surgery I had an adverse reaction to the anesthesia. My heart rate shot up and they had to stop and stabilize me. Per the cardiologist, I have no cardiac issues to worry about and it is good they now know so that they can be prepared for next time.

Very disappointed, but it was what needed to be done to be safe.

On the positive side, the recovery for both surgeries is similar so I can report that I am up and walking around, very little gas and just a little pain on one side. The hospital staff were amazing. I have no hesitation about going back and finishing what I started in a few months. I am home and resting comfortably.

Hope all you other November 6 sleevers are doing well!!

I'm sorry you have to wait for your sleeve now, but at least you're okay. I've had my gallbladder out, it wasn't bad at all. Just be aware that you might get the poops with certain foods, oily foods especially.

Traci, I am so sorry to hear of this. Thank God everything worked out OK. Have a good recovery. See you in the chat room! :rolleyes:

Glad you are ok! Rest up sweetie!

I am sorry it didnt get done,but i am happy that they can still do it :)

Glad you are okay. Not to be a downer, but I was just sleeved on the 8th. I have had my gall bladder removed and it was a piece of cake. For me, the pain from the sleeve was much, much worse. Wish I had gone into the surgery knowing that more gas is used and they do more "manipulating" of our diaphragm. Post surgery I was in a great deal of pain and pain meds didn't help. Just be prepared for the possibility. The best fix is to get up and move a lot. I just wish someone had told me the first day vpcan be very painful. Best of luck to you!

I am confused, if you have no cardiac issues then why did your BP shoot up? Just asking.

BTW I did not have pain after my revision, lot more manipulating. Don't listen to what others say, everyone is different. You will be fine with your VSG. Good Luck.

I am confused' date=' if you have no cardiac issues then why did your BP shoot up? Just asking.

BTW I did not have pain after my revision, lot more manipulating. Don't listen to what others say, everyone is different. You will be fine with your VSG. Good Luck.[/quote']

They believe it was simply a reaction to the anesthesia. BP stayed steady, just the heart rate went up. It was called Supraventricular tachycardia. (Rapid heartbeat). Causes no damage. I had no experience w anesthesia so no issues to report before surgery. The cardiologist assures me that next time they can simply have the meds available to break the rhythm if it happens and not have to stop.

Im glad your ok and doing well. To bad they didnt do the vsg first! Sounds like you are in a positive mindset. For me, galbladder was the same sort of recovery as vsg. No problems. Best of luck and keep positive!

Please know that I didn't say what I did to be negative. I just wish someone had told me of the possibility so I could have been prepared. Then I wouldn't have worried so much when I felt bad. I also have chostocondroitus (chest wall inflammation - I know I spelled it wrong!) and that might have been a huge factor. Please don't worry, you'll be fine. ;)

Please know that I didn't say what I did to be negative. I just wish someone had told me of the possibility so I could have been prepared. Then I wouldn't have worried so much when I felt bad. I also have chostocondroitus (chest wall inflammation - I know I spelled it wrong!) and that might have been a huge factor. Please don't worry, you'll be fine. ;)

I don't take anyone's experience as being negative, I'm glad you shared. I also like to know all the possibilities before so I wont' be shocked if something happens. In the grand scheme of things, if this is my big complication.. I'll take it. Recovering very well and anticipating getting my new date.

I have never heard of anyone having SVT. My son went into the hospital at one week old when he was unresponsive and not eating. When I went to the doctor to habe him checked they sent me straight to the hospital where I was met by the Dr. and nurse.

They rushed him back to a room not letting me go on with him and said if we don't get his heart rate down we are air lifting him to the Children's Hospital. They came out later and had gotten it down by putting ice and Water in a bagfie and basically suffocating him to shaock the heart.

We spent 3 days there and left with jeart medicine and a heart monitor he wore 24/7 for 9 months. I was 25 years old, my first baby and a single mommy. Scariest time of my life.

Fast forward 16 years and he is a happy, healthy 6'7" wonderful young man. Good luck to you everything will turn out great.

Thank goodness you can still have your sleeve done in the near future!

I have SVT... It's just an extra circuit around my heart that makes my heart beat really fast sometimes. I was diagnosed at 37 years old. My cardiologist says that my heart is very healthy.... He said that if anyone's heart rate can go from normal to 233 without having any flaws (ex:heart attack ) that I have a healthy heart.

Good luck with your future sleeve!! Keep us posted!!!

Thank goodness you can still have your sleeve done in the near future!

I have SVT... It's just an extra circuit around my heart that makes my heart best really fast sometimes. I was diagnosed at 37 years old. My cardiologist says that my heart is very healthy.... He said that if anyone's heart rate can go from normal to 233 without having any flaws (ex:heart attack ) that I have a healthy heart.

Good luck with your future sleeve!! Keep us posted!!!

Glad to hear all is well with you. DId they give you meds before surgery to ward off an episode?

The cardiologist I saw in the hospital told me the same thing. He ran all the tests and said I have a very healthy heart. I go see him tomorrow for a followup and get his clearance for my new surgery date, Dec. 11. Very excited!!