Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking Of Revision!?

Hey everyone! I know there are a lot of posts on here but I'm new to this site and I'm still a little lost! ;-) I currently have a band, have for approx 3 years, the first year I lost 60 pounds, I've gained all but about 15-20 back. I have had no success for approx 2 years now and it sucks! I'm miserable. I recently got new insurance and it covers wls! I have an appointment on Thursday to talk to my doctor who did my original wls to see what options I have. I've done a lot of research and I'm thinking sleeve would be good as I'm sick of failing with this band! Can anyone who has had both please give some feedback/suggestions!? Did you fail with the band and succeed with sleeve? How much have you lost and in how long? How long were you in the hospital? Recovery? Etc!.... Thanks for everyone's time, I look forward to hearing from you!!

I just had my revision this morning. My story with the band is similar to yours. The doctor warned me that I won't have that constrictive feelin from the band so I need to pay extra attention to feelin when my pouch is full. There is also data that says revisions don't lose as fast as new sleevers, but I sure as heck am not going to Lose any if I don't do something !!!

I just had my revision this morning. My story with the band is similar to yours. The doctor warned me that I won't have that constrictive feelin from the band so I need to pay extra attention to feelin when my pouch is full. There is also data that says revisions don't lose as fast as new sleevers' date=' but I sure as heck am not going to Lose any if I don't do something !!![/quote']

Agree.

I met with the doctor yesterday and it sounds like the sleeve is a go! I have to wait 3 months to do the prep for my insurance to be able to pay but then should have surgery in feb. very nervous I will "fail" with this tho.

I met with the doctor yesterday and it sounds like the sleeve is a go! I have to wait 3 months to do the prep for my insurance to be able to pay but then should have surgery in feb. very nervous I will "fail" with this tho.

I feel ya, I've had straight up hell with lap band for 5yrs. Scared to death of failing. But with all the success stories & support on this forum I feel confident I'm making the right decision.

Got my surgery date yesterday for Dec 10th, excited yet upset that after all these months jumping through hoops I can't get it done this month, but have decided to use these 30 days to prove I'm strong enough to drop some of this weight on my own (I've never been able to keep it off) start Protein drinks, work out extra hard & then get my revision surgery. :) I'm very motivated by the idea that at the point surgery date is finally here, which would be when I would normally start gaining back. Ill be sleeved, band removed & body won't get the chance to gain it back :)

I feel ya' date=' I've had straight up hell with lap band for 5yrs. Scared to death of failing. But with all the success stories & support on this forum I feel confident I'm making the right decision.

Got my surgery date yesterday for Dec 10th, excited yet upset that after all these months jumping through hoops I can't get it done this month, but have decided to use these 30 days to prove I'm strong enough to drop some of this weight on my own (I've never been able to keep it off) start Protein drinks, work out extra hard & then get my revision surgery. :) I'm very motivated by the idea that at the point surgery date is finally here, which would be when I would normally start gaining back. Ill be sleeved, band removed & body won't get the chance to gain it back :)

[/quote']

Now have you been? Felling?

I had the band for 2 1/2 years, and I've had the sleeve for nearly 4 years.

There is no comparison between band and sleeve. If you go to forums, then scroll down, you'll find the forum for band to sleeve revisions. There are a lot of stories

of people who hated their band and are so happy with their sleeves now.

I can eat anything I want, just smaller portions than other people. There are no foods that I can't eat, unlike trying to eat with the band.

Now have you been? Felling?

Doing well, down 21.5lbs. Pain is finally gone from where my port was. When they went in for surgery they found my bands sutures had broke and the band had moved to my esophagus causing esophageal dilation. I had esophageal spasms for the first few weeks. They finally stopped and I am feeling pretty darn good.

Doing well' date=' down 21.5lbs. Pain is finally gone from where my port was. When they went in for surgery they found my bands sutures had broke and the band had moved to my esophagus causing esophageal dilation. I had esophageal spasms for the first few weeks. They finally stopped and I am feeling pretty darn good.[/quote']

When did you get your band out? When did you have sleeve? They are hoping they can do mine in one surgery but not promised because of scar tissue, swelling Etc!... 21.5 lbs?! That's .5 lbs a day! Awesome!

Dec 10, 2012 they removed my band & sleeved me

Dec 10' date=' 2012 they removed my band & sleeved me[/quote']

They were able to do it in one?! Yay! That's what we are hoping for me, but they can't know until they are in there!!

I was banded in 2009 and had it removed in 2011 because my life was miserable! I was waking up hurling out of bed to wake up vomiting all over the floor. This happened weekly. Turned out my port cut into my stomach and eroded. When my surgeon toke it out he said he found old pieces of lettuce and food. Gross. My surgeon made me wait a year to get the sleeve because of all the scar tissue/trauma my stomach had. And in that time I had gained all 80lbs lost plus 20. I gained 100lbs!!! Only me would gain that much! Ugh when I gain, I gain!!! I almost didn't get the sleeve because I was scared to get hurt or be in pain again. kaiser paid for everything and made me take a 3month class. It helped. I was sleeved on 1/10/13 and so far I am happy. BUT I saw my surgeon 1/23/13 for my post op and was sad I only lost 25lbs total with 12postop. I told him I felt like I was behind. He told me ppl w revision from band to sleeve lose slower bc they don't feel the restriction. I'm lot sure that's good. Ok so will I lose what I need to ever? I don't know but I know I'm going to do everything to stay healthy.

Get that lap band out!!!! I Dont think they are safe. They are not natural:(. Good luck with your journey.

I was banded in 2009 and had it removed in 2011 because my life was miserable! I was waking up hurling out of bed to wake up vomiting all over the floor. This happened weekly. Turned out my port cut into my stomach and eroded. When my surgeon toke it out he said he found old pieces of lettuce and food. Gross. My surgeon made me wait a year to get the sleeve because of all the scar tissue/trauma my stomach had. And in that time I had gained all 80lbs lost plus 20. I gained 100lbs!!! Only me would gain that much! Ugh when I gain' date=' I gain!!! I almost didn't get the sleeve because I was scared to get hurt or be in pain again. kaiser paid for everything and made me take a 3month class. It helped. I was sleeved on 1/10/13 and so far I am happy. BUT I saw my surgeon 1/23/13 for my post op and was sad I only lost 25lbs total with 12postop. I told him I felt like I was behind. He told me ppl w revision from band to sleeve lose slower bc they don't feel the restriction. I'm lot sure that's good. Ok so will I lose what I need to ever? I don't know but I know I'm going to do everything to stay healthy.

Get that lap band out!!!! I Dont think they are safe. They are not natural:(. Good luck with your journey.[/quote']

Crazy! However you have lost 12lbs 13 days! That's not slow! How tall are you and what was your start weight! I'm excited for you!!!

Crazy! However you have lost 12lbs 13 days! That's not slow! How tall are you and what was your start weight! I'm excited for you!!!

Well thank you. You sound like what my surgeon said. And it's true. I guess you hear on here these Peoria losing so fast it's hard not to compare or think am I doing this wrong? Today was my first day workin out besides walking. I swam for 45min and I loved it. Swimming laps is my therapy.

I am a 29yo female 5'4.5 started at 260. At surgery was 243. Today I'm 235. When I had the Lapband I was 175-200. I can't believe I gained so much weight after the band. The lap band is a miserable way to live. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up.

They were able to do it in one?! Yay! That's what we are hoping for me' date=' but they can't know until they are in there!![/quote']

So are you leaning towards getting a sleeve? How much weight do you want to lose?