Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bi-Polar Meds - The skinny and the fat

Hi,

I decided to add to my last thread Water. Still I have only dropped 15 lbs now (just gained back 5 despite everything I'm doing right) since surgery on June 26th.

My question to any of you in the know is:

What anti-anxiety, depression meds will NOT cause weight gain?

What meds that treat mania / manic episodes, will NOT cause weight gain?

Please do not write to me and tell me 'as long as your mentally healthy, who cares if weight loss is slow?'

Being fat makes you depressed and triggerse depression and mania as well - so, even if I'm not having mild swings, I am totally down and hate myself because I'm fat.

I want to treat both diseases - obesity AND bi-polar.

I've been recommended Abilify, what else is out there that anyone here has tried?

Topomax is used to treat BP its a mood stabalizer and a size effect is weight loss. Altho it comes with about a million other side effects they only last about 2 weeks until you are on the drugs regularly.

Paxil Is used to treat the drepression part of BP and can be used with the Topomax if you do well on this antidepressant maybe ask your doc about putting these 2 together.

I gained about a billion pounds being on and off the anti-depressant drugs myself and when I went on the BP combos I asked for one specifically designed to make me not gain anymore weight or I wouldnt be taking them lol.

I also take Lorazepan but I just started that because I still have panic attacks which I have always had bad. But with increased stress in my life over some work situations and other stuff they are back with avengance and I am not sure if they have any weight gain or loss with those or not I should look that up after i post this actually hehe. Anyway hope that helps.

-Gummie

I don't know which ones won't, but I wouldn't suggest Celexa. I have been taking it for about a month and a 1/2 and I noticed pretty soon, that I was hungry all the time. I forced myself to start bringing fruit and healthy Snacks for work and that helps some. I haven't weighted out of fear, but I definitely feel like I've gained.

When I asked my dr about it she said that at the most it should be like 5 lbs on average if anything.

You might want to check out some anxiety message boards or research different meds about the side effects.

Please post any info that you find out b/c I am thinking of switching meds. The Celexa really doesn't seem to be working for my anxieties @ all...I also do therapy.

Lithium is known to cause weight gain but I've never tried it.

When I was put on Depakote, I regained over a hundred pounds that I had lost. I switched to Lamictal and found it to be less sedating and was able to actually excercise loose some of the weight. I am not currently taking a mood stabilizer however.

Throughout, I have also been on zoloft and at times zoloft and wellbutrin. I do not suspect either of the anitdepressants or the Lamictal of impairing my metabolism/energy like the depakote seemed to.

Have you tried Lamictal?

Well I have been on celexa for years and while I gained weigh over those years I do not believe it to be med related but rather food related. In the last 6 mo since surgery I have lost 55lbs, I have since had wellbutrin added to my meds and my doc specifically chose it because it was weight loss friendly. If you are in doubt about your meds and their weightloss status ask your doctor, they should know. If they don't get a new doc

Thanks! No, I haven't tried Celexa or Lemectal...I'm really interested in Abilify and possibly Paxil or Wellbutrin together. I've got to get off this Effexor first. DO NOT EVER GET ON THIS MEDICATION, IT IS HELL GETTING OFF!!!

I took Topamax for 6 mo's and felt "dumbed down" the entire time. I couldn't think well, I couldn't remember, horrible! Didn't lose any weight but didn't gain any then either...

Topamax is weight loss friendly, but it's very common that it makes your feel like your brain is foggy. Not worth it! I do know a couple of people who have switched to Wellbutrin or added it to an SSRI and felt it helped them weight and appetite wise. Also - I'm pretty sure Paxil has withdrawal effects similar to Effexor. Ask your doctor before switching if that's a concern. There are lots of other anti-depressants that do not have such severe withdrawal symptoms.

I'm on Welbutrin for depression, but I'm not Bipolar... it was my understanding that those are different things and should be treated differently.

Paxil caused me to gain some weight, Welbutrin I've lost on, and that's all the info I have. :D

My Surgeon pulled me off of effexor xr went down like you till I was off, I Have gained 30 lbs since going on this medicine. (6 monhts ago)I took it for hot flashes. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! I am pretty moody now. But I believe I am getting done with it. I am now haveing alot of dizzy spells and I am taking 50mg of zanex for it. Hope it starts to go away my labband is tuesday morning at 7:30. I think I am having alot of anxiety, but I am sure its the surgery. My counseler wants me to go on wellbutrin for ADD, when I am though with the surgery she thinks the overeating is me self medacating myself for ADD to slow myself down. I will be trying anything now that I know why I eat all the time. Good Luck, Mary

I was banded on Aug. 8th 2006. I have lost 20 lbs. mostly all of it right after the surgery. Now I really wish I went ahead and had bypass. I take 2000 mg. of Depakote a day for bi-polar. I know I need it cause I took myself off last year and felt like checking out! I thought I could lose weight not taking it. so my loss is very slow, I really need to walk every day, I really try to stay on my diet, but compared to what I used to eat, I don't get it. I am disgusted.:cry . I spoke to my doctor about it. we will have to see. Glad this board is here, who else could we tell?? Patti

Topomax is used to treat BP its a mood stabalizer and a size effect is weight loss. Altho it comes with about a million other side effects they only last about 2 weeks until you are on the drugs regularly.

-Gummie

Topamax is acutally an antiseizure med that is also used to prevent Migraines. I have not heard of it being used to treat BP or a mood stabalizer.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/top1541.htm

I am on topamax for Migraine prevention and after 11 yrs of preventatives not working its the first one that has worked. It does however make me feel " dumb down" or it can I should say . My new neuro suggested that I take 25 mg in the morning and 75 mg at night before I go to bed. And that REALLY helped the "dumb" feeling. some call topamax dopamax lol

If you do not have migraines or seizures I would REALLY question why you were put on topamax. I notice no side affects of wt gain. The side affects I Do have from topamax( and there can be MANY ) are numbness in my hands and the bottom of my feet , one side of my face will go numb and the ding bat syndrome as i call it . The numbness is short lived ( about 20 mintues coming and going ) I however choose to live with them , its either that or having migraines 4-5 times a week.

Im also on Wellbutrin for Depression associated with my chronic migraines.

All I have to say about that is LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. NO Side affects .

In fact sometimes i have to REMEBER To eat because it does have an appeite supressant in it. Oh wait that might be from the topamax LOL

Granted meds affect everyone differently but everyone I know who's been on effexor has gained lots of wt.

A friend of mines son was on it for 4 months and gained 75 pds before I told her ' Take him off that he's going to die " The doc had no CLUE what he was doing . She saw nothing wrong with him gaining 40 pds in 2 months ( he's 11)

BeecheeGirl , I totally understand your frustration , The only thing i Can recommend because i went through it with trying to get the right combaination of meds for my migraines is keep trying.

If your not happy with your doc , get another one , its VERY important you find a doc that will listen to YOU and YOUR Concerns.

HTH

Mindy

Topamax is acutally an antiseizure med that is also used to prevent Migraines. I have not heard of it being used to treat BP or a mood stabalizer.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/top1541.htm

I am on topamax for Migraine prevention and after 11 yrs of preventatives not working its the first one that has worked. It does however make me feel " dumb down" or it can I should say . My new neuro suggested that I take 25 mg in the morning and 75 mg at night before I go to bed. And that REALLY helped the "dumb" feeling. some call topamax dopamax lol

If you do not have migraines or seizures I would REALLY question why you were put on topamax.

Sorry I was wrong Kind of lol ,,,,, I read up on it more and I guess its now being prescribed as a mood stabalizer.It is technically an Antiseizure med . Learn something new everyday . My bad.

I did find this as well .

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/topamax/a/0209_topmigrain.htm

HTH

Mindy

I used to be on Paxil CR and it worked very well for my anxiety and depression. After a few months, my doc switched me to the generic Paxil that was not controlled release and I gained 20 pounds in about 3 months! Withdrawls were HELL for me getting off Paxil. Sounds like you're going through the same thing with Effexor. I have also taken Celexa, but it didn't seem to work as well as Paxil. However, I didn't have any weight gain or withdrawal symptoms on it. I hope you find somthing that works!

I am on Topomax for BP disorder I guess it works for that aswell, I take it in combination with Paxil and was perscribed it from a "Mental Facility" psychiatrist who deals with bipolar all the time. I knew it was also used for those purposes. When I was placed on it I asked for a combo that would not make me gain any more weight or I wouldnt take it. It seems to work ok because it levels me out enough altho I do take something extra for panic attacks. And if I stop taking it you can REALLY tell, I could stop taking my topomax for 2-3 days and my husband will say "You stopped taking you meds didnt you" So I guess it works pretty good for BP. One thing thats funny is even tho I take the Topomax I still get migrains (not alot but some here and there), I take 200 MG a day.

I have to add that I have been on Topomax for a few years and I think if you can stand the dumb feeling after a while it goes away, humm. Or maybe your just so dumb you dont notice anymore hahaha j/k