Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Ridiculous, Rude Comments Of Others....

I haven't even had my VSG yet (scheduled November 19th) and am already losing patience with the terribly insensitive things that people say regarding WLS. Yesterday, my boyfriends mother said, "if you ever come over my house and I notice that you still look the same I will get in your face and announce YOU'RE STALLING!"

Is she &*^+^*+ serious!?!?!

Also totally annoyed with the "you're going to be so pretty comments..."

Please! I know you guys have some comments that have really "rubbed you the wrong way" to share with me

How would she even know the term 'stalling'? Has she had WLS?

Nope she never had WLS. Gained all her "knowledge" from listening to others discuss their experiences.

hey Im November 19th too . i didn't tell any one only my hubby who is traveling with me.

does she have weight issues ? maybe she is being negative cos she is a little jealous maybe ?

keep your head up doll your already pretty by the way x

Sometimes people say really dumb thing because they think (who knows where they got the idea) that they're being lighthearted or funny, when in reality, they're just being asses. If she feels like you have a close enough relationship to say something like that to you, then I would tell her that it really hurts your feelings that she's being very glib with a major life choice (and a major surgery to boot). I'm not sure if she's the type to make fun of everything, and I think that it's hard to gauge that outside of our nice little circle of support here, but just write it off to poor social skills I guess!

Yesterday, my boyfriends mother said, "if you ever come over my house and I notice that you still look the same I will get in your face and announce YOU'RE STALLING!"

Oh, man, I would love that.

As I went to her freezer and loaded up her steaks in a bag I would say, "Ya, I am stalling because I don't eat enough Protein, thanks for helping out."

I can see from your profile picture that you are already much more than pretty, you are BEAUTIFUL! Don't let the negative comments get to you. Just last night I told my Grandmother that I'm having the surgery in December...to which she responded, "Well, if you plan on getting married before I die, you're going to have to do something about that weight!" These are the catty comments that I've lived with all of my life, and I'm just now learning to not let them hurt me, but to turn them into fuel and motivation.

Good luck NurseMeg! I'll be joining the VSG club exactly a month after you :D

Gmanbat- you are awesome!!

Best response ever lol

I would inform your boyfriends mother that it's natural to go through stalls, and everyone does at some point, even those who have never had WLS! It's a part cycle. Also a lot of time during those stalls while you may not be losing weight, you may be losing inches.

Some of the things I hate hearing when it comes to WLS..

1. Being told by my cousin who weighs around 120lbs. She was trying to talk me out of the surgery and doing it the "natural healthy way" She said to me. "If I can do it, you can do it. I have faith in you"? Now I know this was meant to encourage me, but really it just ticked me off. My reply "Oh so you weighed over 400lbs and lost it on your own"?

Other than that most people try to convince me of the high death rates, and complications, and how most people gain back and ends up being waste of money. I have found that if people are not researching, and thinking of getting WLS they are misinformed.

I haven't even had my VSG yet (scheduled November 19th) and am already losing patience with the terriblinsensitive things that people say regarding WLS. Yesterday, my boyfriends mother said, "if you ever come over my house and I notice that you still look the same I will get in your face and announce YOU'RE STALLING!"

Is she &*^+^*+ serious!?!?!

Also totally annoyed with the "you're going to be so pretty comments..."

Please! I know you guys have some comments that have really "rubbed you the wrong way" to share with me

I have my surgery scheduled for next month and I haven't told too many people. So far I got "oh my you're going to be too much strutting you're skinny ass around the office." Implying that my head will swell as my waist shrinks. I countered with "yeah I'll be wearing a mid driff every day to show off my belly ring that will be tethered to my nose ring rain or shine" lol I guess that didn't help the perception that I'm going to be one of those vain skinny b*****s lmao!

I would always get, "you have such a pretty face. If only you'd work on your body, then you'd be something!" With a smile.

I have wanted to slap people for what they consider "motivating" comments.

I'm having another surgery (unrelated to VSG), and when I informed the surgeon of my at the time upcoming VSG, he looks at me and says, "well, you're going to be a pretty little thing then aren't you?" I got soooo red. But he was totally for VSG and told me that I should feel proud that I want to do something that will change my life. He's also a plastic surgeon so in case I need plastics in the future, he's my guy! Lol

Yea,

Been call old and told I need to loose weight!

The 2nd part I know! Lol

Motivation completed for me!

When I was pregnant with my son I wanted chinese food so my mom bought me some and it made me sick so I was mad because I was starving and wanted something else... she said and I'll never forget, "You have food demons" and then she started preaching about Israel and what God says about food. I've heard comments my whole life about having a pretty face or how i should be a PLUS size model. It really does tear down your self asteam but the way I see it is after my surgery, I will use every person that ever hurt me as motivation. For every pound I lose that is 1 comment that I never have to hear again. People make rude remarks because they never knew what it was like to be overweight or because they are overweight and they don't have the courage to step forward and get a surgery done. For me and it may sound a little vein but I'm gonna die skinny or I'm gonna die trying.

I would inform your boyfriends mother that it's natural to go through stalls, and everyone does at some point, even those who have never had WLS! It's a part cycle. Also a lot of time during those stalls while you may not be losing weight, you may be losing inches.

Some of the things I hate hearing when it comes to WLS..

1. Being told by my cousin who weighs around 120lbs. She was trying to talk me out of the surgery and doing it the "natural healthy way" She said to me. "If I can do it, you can do it. I have faith in you"? Now I know this was meant to encourage me, but really it just ticked me off. My reply "Oh so you weighed over 400lbs and lost it on your own"?

Other than that most people try to convince me of the high death rates, and complications, and how most people gain back and ends up being waste of money. I have found that if people are not researching, and thinking of getting WLS they are misinformed.

I had a coworker who was constantly telling how scary and bad the surgery was going to be and that she "wished I wouldn't do it". She's never had WLS surgery so I'm not sure where those ideas were coming from; but I just smiled and kept on. I think sometimes people THINK they are showing that they are concerned and that they care about you but it just comes across wrong.NurseMeg your boyfriend's mother is a different story though. That just seems plan out rude to me. And you look beautiful in your profile picture to me!