Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B Vitamins And Bodily Rejection

I think I am onto something about the B Vitamins. Too much of some B Vitamin leads to automatic gagging/heaving/throwing up. Not sure which B Vitamin is is though. Here is where I could use your help.

Looking at my mio energy drink, it says there is 10% B12, 10% b6 and 10 b3. My b50 has 2500% b6 and 2500% b12. I take 2 of these so double the percents to 5000% each. My Multivitamin has 200% b3, 5833% b12 and 600% b6. My b12 supplement has 16,667% b12. Plus whatever I am getting in the 2 shakes a day and pure Protein like chicken, salmon, etc.

Lots of numbers, I know. It is not quite clear why anyone would need such a high dose of b12, but hey, I am following the NUTs recommendations. Except for the mio drink and the extra b50/b12. Didn't realize I was double dosing on the b12 and b50 supplements. Usually when you take a supplement ( or something like tylenol), you take 2. I am sure others can relate to this habit of taking 2 of something.

So what is causing me to heave? Sometimes after taking Multivitamin, sometimes after taking b12 supplement and some times after drinking mio energy about 32 oz. Typically if it is going to happen, it is after taking the multivitamin. However, I usually take the multivitamin after b12 and b50 supplements because they are most likely to cause me to heave.

I think it is the b12 because the percentage is way up there in terms of DV. I also will cool it on the mio energy because I don't really need it, just a carry over habit of using energy drinks from before surgery. Besides, I have 1 coffee a day now as it is.

What do others think that might have more of a vitamin background than I do. By the way, Nov 2nd will be my 4 month post op mark.

I think I am onto something about the B Vitamins. Too much of some B Vitamin leads to automatic gagging/heaving/throwing up. Not sure which B Vitamin is is though. Here is where I could use your help.

Looking at my mio energy drink' date=' it says there is 10% B12, 10% b6 and 10 b3. My b50 has 2500% b6 and 2500% b12. I take 2 of these so double the percents to 5000% each. My multivitamin has 200% b3, 5833% b12 and 600% b6. My b12 supplement has 16,667% b12. Plus whatever I am getting in the 2 shakes a day and pure Protein like chicken, salmon, etc.

Lots of numbers, I know. It is not quite clear why anyone would need such a high dose of b12, but hey, I am following the NUTs recommendations. Except for the mio drink and the extra b50/b12. Didn't realize I was double dosing on the b12 and b50 supplements. Usually when you take a supplement ( or something like tylenol), you take 2. I am sure others can relate to this habit of taking 2 of something.

So what is causing me to heave? Sometimes after taking multivitamin, sometimes after taking b12 supplement and some times after drinking mio energy about 32 oz. Typically if it is going to happen, it is after taking the multivitamin. However, I usually take the multivitamin after b12 and b50 supplements because they are most likely to cause me to heave.

I think it is the b12 because the percentage is way up there in terms of DV. I also will cool it on the mio energy because I don't really need it, just a carry over habit of using energy drinks from before surgery. Besides, I have 1 coffee a day now as it is.

What do others think that might have more of a vitamin background than I do. By the way, Nov 2nd will be my 4 month post op mark.[/quote']

http://abouttesting.testcountry.com/2010/02/10-important-side-effects-of-too-much-vitamin-b12-that-people-don’t-think-about.html

The article doesn't indicate that too much b12 can cause to heave. In my experience, too much Iron will cause me to heave in a nanosecond. I have a LOT of b Vitamins (not b12) in my daily intake and my dr., NUT, and endocrinologist all say that you really can't have too much of it. It's Water soluble and your body gets rid of it pretty quickly.

Maybe checking out the Iron level in your daily vitamin? Just another option.

Hope this helps some.

:)

Interesting information. I just had my 3 month labs done and my B12 was high and my b1 was dangerously low. I had to get a shot for the b1. :)

http://abouttesting.testcountry.com/2010/02/10-important-side-effects-of-too-much-vitamin-b12-that-people-don’t-think-about.html

The article doesn't indicate that too much B12 can cause to heave. In my experience' date=' too much Iron will cause me to heave in a nanosecond. I have a LOT of b Vitamins (not b12) in my daily intake and my dr., NUT, and endocrinologist all say that you really can't have too much of it. It's Water soluble and your body gets rid of it pretty quickly.

Maybe checking out the Iron level in your daily Vitamin? Just another option.

Hope this helps some.

[/quote']

Yes, I am taking iron with the Celebrate multivitamin (200%). I don't know how much iron I am getting from chicken and salmon. Syntrax shake just states reduced iron so do not really know what that means. I have 2 of those a day, one with 8 oz light soy and one with Water. No other supplements contain any iron ( to my knowledge) Again, I eat a lot of chicken on a daily basis to hit 100+ grams Protein a day. Just for grins I measured the TSD of my water and it is 33. That is fairly low in terms of tap water averages so I would not expect alot of from there. However I do drink 100+ oz a day. The normal mio ( not the energy one) I put in my water does not contain any iron. See anything that stands out?

The article doesn't indicate that too much B12 can cause to heave. In my experience' date=' too much Iron will cause me to heave in a nanosecond. I have a LOT of b Vitamins (not b12) in my daily intake and my dr., NUT, and endocrinologist all say that you really can't have too much of it. It's Water soluble and your body gets rid of it pretty quickly.

Maybe checking out the Iron level in your daily Vitamin? Just another option.

Hope this helps some.

[/quote']

Do you know what are the right percentage of b50 and b12 to take as a sleever on a daily basis? How about iron?

Thanks for the article.

Wow, overdosing on various b50 complex components is bad news. I want to take enough to be healthy as a fellow sleever, but not so much I end up in the ER. I take 2 a day now and will switch back to 1. See above for various DV with regards to my b50 daily intake. Any of advise?

Yes' date=' I am taking Iron with the Celebrate multivitamin (200%). I don't know how much Iron I am getting from chicken and salmon. Syntrax shake just states reduced iron so do not really know what that means. I have 2 of those a day, one with 8 oz light soy and one with Water. No other supplements contain any iron ( to my knowledge) Again, I eat a lot of chicken on a daily basis to hit 100+ grams Protein a day. Just for grins I measured the TSD of my Water and it is 33. That is fairly low in terms of tap water averages so I would not expect alot of from there. However I do drink 100+ oz a day. The normal mio ( not the energy one) I put in my water does not contain any iron. See anything that stands out?[/quote']

Out of all the b-vitamins, the only one that can/will cause vomiting is b2 - if you are overdosing on it. Pretty tough to do though without a conscious effort.

As far as the Celebrate multivitamin, I have to take iron every single day. I split it into 2 separate doses Or i will heave every single time. I started taking mine with Vitamin c to help with absorption and can take it in one dose now. You CAN'T do this with celebrate because it prevents the other Vitamins from being absorbed. So, yes, I would try taking the multivitamin in 2 different doses to help the body absorb it better and see if your stomach likes it.

I would also reduce the b50 to 1 per day, not 2. Unless your dr/NUT prescribed it. That's a lot of b Vitamins in there combined with the multivitamin.

If that works, it was definitely the iron/multivitamin.

Let me know if it works!! :)

Out of all the b-vitamins' date=' the only one that can/will cause vomiting is b2 - if you are overdosing on it. Pretty tough to do though without a conscious effort.

As far as the Celebrate multivitamin, I have to take Iron every single day. I split it into 2 separate doses Or i will heave every single time. I started taking mine with Vitamin c to help with absorption and can take it in one dose now. You CAN'T do this with celebrate because it prevents the other Vitamins from being absorbed. So, yes, I would try taking the multivitamin in 2 different doses to help the body absorb it better and see if your stomach likes it.

I would also reduce the b50 to 1 per day, not 2. Unless your dr/NUT prescribed it. That's a lot of b Vitamins in there combined with the multivitamin.

If that works, it was definitely the iron/multivitamin.

Let me know if it works!! :)

[/quote']

Good advice. It is also good to know someone else struggles on Multivitamins. I will try splitting up the dose of 3 and dropping a b50 capsule. Splitting it up makes sense because I always heave on the 2nd or 3rd. Very rarely I get lucky and can take all 3 without heaving. I think it was the one time I decided to try taking it immediately upon waking up rather than after food or other vitamins.

I can't take ANY b's w/o feeling sick so i get the monthly shot. I also can't take a big dose of Vit A. My heart races & i turn red. So i take flinestone kids vit 2x a day. Be careful bcs we can overdo it on some of these Vitamins. If you are eating a good balanced meal, a regular Vitamin regime should be enough. Of course, this doesn't work until you can tolerate enough food in your sleeve.

I only take a multi Vitamin and a siblingual b vitamin.

All my labs are perfect.

Best to go by your own lab work.

It's so different with all of us.

I hope your heaving gets better, that is rough!

I can't take ANY b's w/o feeling sick so i get the monthly shot. I also can't take a big dose of Vit A. My heart races & i turn red. So i take flinestone kids vit 2x a day. Be careful bcs we can overdo it on some of these Vitamins. If you are eating a good balanced meal' date=' a regular Vitamin regime should be enough. Of course, this doesn't work until you can tolerate enough food in your sleeve.[/quote']

Someone needs to write a good Nutrition book for WLS post op folks. And I don't mean a meal planning book full of recipes. There are a lot of those available. Also it needs to be full of rigor and technical details that explains bio mechanical impact on various systems of the body.

Wait a sec. Did I just give a way a multi million dollar idea? LOL!Hope someone is listening who can write it or at least point out one if it is already written. Ever read that book by Tom Venuto: Feed the muscle burn the fat? It needs to be Like that. I read it when Tom was still releasing the PDF version from his site a number of years ago. He is a natural body builder and has done a lot of research and i found it full of rigor. it is a good intellectual read, but it does not quite apply to us because we have different needs than the average person who wants to feed the muscle and burn the fat.

Getting the Vitamins right after WLS is too much of a guess. The NUT gives some guidelines, but it is very general and, as you can see, does not work quite right in the same way for everyone.

For all of those sleevers looking for a multivitamin tablet that will work for us and not cause bodily rejection, please try the trader joes high potency chewable tablets. These are 5 calories each and 100% RDA in everything except niacin, Calcium, magnesium and copper. i take calcium and b50. Complex supplements, so no worries about those lower RDAs. I take 2 in order to get the required 200 % RDA for post sleeve life. They have a sweet cherry flavor and have not caused me to yack so far, unlike the BA tablets and the Celebrate capsules. I like them also because they are chewable and get absorbed really well.