Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Just Incase?

For any of you self payers, I'm just curious if you got any extra insurance anywhere just incase? God forbid anything should happen, but if it did and one had to spend extra time in the hospital what happens? Do you get a bill in the mail? Have to pay right there? Just curious as my date is dec 3 and I'm just trying to be prepared. Thanks:)

I did not get extra insurance but I had serious complications and in 90% of cases, those costs wouldn't be covered because the initial surgery wasn't covered. There are some insurance policies that will cover, but it's rare. You should review your policy carefully.

Now for the scary part. You get a bill in the mail...not one bill, but bill after bill after bill for anyone you see during your after care if you have any complications. I am still adding them up. We thought it would be around a quarter of a million, but it's looking like we might be pushing half a million in costs from the complications.

Compare what that bill would do to your finances if you weren't covered with the few hundred dollars that an added policy might cost....It's easy math :) Get the extra insurance.

And no hospital makes you pay up front if you need to go to the ER. But you will get a bill in the mail. Added to my costs are all of my follow up care because I switched doctors (and had paid for that up front with the other). Ouch!

I did not get extra insurance but I had serious complications and in 90% of cases' date=' those costs wouldn't be covered because the initial surgery wasn't covered. There are some insurance policies that will cover, but it's rare. You should review your policy carefully.

Now for the scary part. You get a bill in the mail...not one bill, but bill after bill after bill for anyone you see during your after care if you have any complications. I am still adding them up. We thought it would be around a quarter of a million, but it's looking like we might be pushing half a million in costs from the complications.

Compare what that bill would do to your finances if you weren't covered with the few hundred dollars that an added policy might cost....It's easy math :) Get the extra insurance.

And no hospital makes you pay up front if you need to go to the ER. But you will get a bill in the mail. Added to my costs are all of my follow up care because I switched doctors (and had paid for that up front with the other). Ouch![/quote']

Omg that's crazy! So what r u doing? Just paying it

Off? How does a person get extra insurance? Through my insurance company here at home? My husband says I'm a worrier but I feel like I need to be

Prepared just incase. My mom had had the sleeve done here at home and had comi cations

And was in the hospital for two months! She's still not back to

Work and her date was may8th. Now because it was done here all was covered (and thankfully she recovered), but of course because of this I feel the need to be extra prepared going

To another country. Thanks for any input you have!

Are you going to Mexico? (is that the area this is posted in LOL) I'd call your doctors office (the surgeon) and ask if they have access to suplimental insurance for complications. I didn't know it existed (and I had mine in the US) until I read about it here.

We are fortunate in that we own the company that insures us. So far the policy is covering most of the bills. Being self insured is probably what made the difference. We make our own rules (though they apply to all people who work for us and have to meet state and federal guidelines). But in the long run this is paid for by us anyhoo as the bill comes off of profits for the company.

I didn't mention that in the first post because I like to really make it clear to people that we are the exception not the rule! Most insurance policies DO NOT cover complications from elective surgery (surgeries they don't cover). I used to sell insurance so I'm pretty experienced in this area.

But check your policy. Some policies cover additional care if you are admitted to a hospital via an ER or if you arrive at the hospital via ambulance, verses on your own feet. There are all these little side rules you need to understand just in case. If your insurance is through your work you can call the personnel dept and talk to the insurance person and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

You mention your MIL? Mom ?? anyhoo, complications and still out of work. I was 58 days before I could walk more than down a hallway. I have a six year old child who had to have full time care off and on throughout the time I was ill. I was so sick that even when I was at home I could do nothing with him aside from giving him a kiss when he said goodnight to me in my sick room. I spent 22 days in hospital and am on weight restrictions (lifting) which have continued three months...so I can't do laundry, much of the shopping, housekeeping, etc so this has to be figured into the costs. Not to mention not working for that period of time, which would be hard for almost any family right?????

Search the Mexico forum for suplimental insurance and I think the post that lists who it was through will come up, but also call your surgeon and ask.

i,m from canada and am getting sleevedn mexico. i did look into insurance, its very hard to find, but i had found one, its called seven corners insurance, it has cross boarder insurance for surgery, but you must have the surgery in a JCI accredited hospital. surgery is more in these hospitals. i think the insurance was about 1300.00. i know dr rosales does it out of one of these hospitals and i think his price was around 7500.00. not sure, but i think

Okay. This is scaring me. I can't afford to have complications without some type of coverage. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 19th.

Call your doctors office tomorrow and see what you can find out. You could also try to google "suplimental insurance elective surgery" and see what comes up. It's worth every dime IMO.

As a banker *(ex...and yes I sold insurance and was a banker...shoot me LOL...I did both at the same time) here's what I'd ask you. What do you have to risk? Do you own a home with equity? Do you own a business or other assets? These can all be lost in a medical emergency and as such I'd protect them with the insurance. If you however live in an apartment, don't have a lot of assets, rent, and could deal with the mental difficulty of filing for a medical bankruptcy than perhaps the insurance isn't necessary. The other issue is how that would affect your family.

I don't know canadian laws in regards to medical bankruptcy so I'm only answering as an american banker under american laws. Your milage may vary....

I'm American and own my home. It's actually paid off but I do have some other debt that I'm currently trying to wipe out. I want to be one of those debt free persons that Dave Ramsey always talks about. Started googling tonight and will continue tomorrow. This sucks but I'm glad Bos123 started this thread. I guess I had just put this concern on the back burner.

Call your doctors office tomorrow and see what you can find out. You could also try to google "suplimental insurance elective surgery" and see what comes up. It's worth every dime IMO.

As a banker *(ex...and yes I sold insurance and was a banker...shoot me LOL...I did both at the same time) here's what I'd ask you. What do you have to risk? Do you own a home with equity? Do you own a business or other assets? These can all be lost in a medical emergency and as such I'd protect them with the insurance. If you however live in an apartment' date=' don't have a lot of assets, rent, and could deal with the mental difficulty of filing for a medical bankruptcy than perhaps the insurance isn't necessary. The other issue is how that would affect your family.

I don't know canadian laws in regards to medical bankruptcy so I'm only answering as an american banker under american laws. Your milage may vary....[/quote']

Yes we are home and business owners. Ill have to check it out as I can't fathom putting my husband and kids at financial risk just incase:/ ill let you know if I find out anything!

Oh ya, then you both want to be sure you have a back up. Do check your policy just in case (there are some out there who will cover...it's just less likely) and then search here as well because I know this has been brought up in the Mex forum and someone posted who the company was she got the insurance from.

Best of luck and I hope you DON'T end up needing the insurance!!!!! Complications are no fun and I always hope never to hear about another VSTer having them.