Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New band on the market

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that I have a very new designed band from Inmed that is just out of trials. It is an AP band & is low pressure which means less chance of a blockage when something gets stuck. It is softer on the body.

It is so new that I dont know anything about it really except that it is accepted as being an improvement over the other bands. I havent even got it to proper restriction yet as I had it put in about 6 weeks ago.

My old band slipped & I ate very abnormally for about 2 years. I have an extra 10 kilos of weight that I put on inbetween bands & no restriction. At the moment I feel very overweight with no clothes that fit as I gave away all my large clothes. Even my boots dont fit!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about this new band that may be an answer for some who couldnt tollerate the old band.

Congratulations! And my best wishes for you!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Did the new band come with the low profile port or the regular one?

Please keep up posted on your progress.

Jo Ann

Are you sure this is not the new Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon band? I can't imagine Inamed would release a new band and not tell all the band surgeons - I've never heard of it.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that I have a very new designed band from Inmed that is just out of trials. It is an AP band & is low pressure which means less chance of a blockage when something gets stuck. It is softer on the body.

It is so new that I dont know anything about it really except that it is accepted as being an improvement over the other bands. I havent even got it to proper restriction yet as I had it put in about 6 weeks ago.

My old band slipped & I ate very abnormally for about 2 years. I have an extra 10 kilos of weight that I put on inbetween bands & no restriction. At the moment I feel very overweight with no clothes that fit as I gave away all my large clothes. Even my boots dont fit!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about this new band that may be an answer for some who couldnt tollerate the old band.

Hi, there are 2 sizes APS (small) and APL (large).

Maybe its not Inamed, sorry if I assumed wrong. Prof Obrien told me its just out of trials & he was helping them with trialing it on his patients. I assumed he was associated with Inamed, but I could be wrong!!

In any case it does exist & it is called the AP model band. It has a 360 degree inner chamber where the Fluid goes, as opposed to the Inamed one which doesnt join all around. Also the hinge that locks it doesnt touch the stomach as does the other ones.

Hi Curley

I am in Melbourne and we share surgeons :) I just had my new band on 4th October, so its just a week so far. My first band was 2nd May 05, and up til now I have lost 95kg.

Not sure if its the big AP or small yet, have to ask that question when I go for my first fill !!

Julie

Hi Curley

I am in Melbourne and we share surgeons :) I just had my new band on 4th October, so its just a week so far. My first band was 2nd May 05, and up til now I have lost 95kg.

Not sure if its the big AP or small yet, have to ask that question when I go for my first fill !!

Julie

Hi Julie, looks like we are neighbours. Did your 1st band pass its use by date too? ie slip or the stomach moved???

Unfortunately, I lost alot of confidence (& face) since my ordeal because I put on 10 kilos sooo quickly inbetween no fills!!!!

I hope Ive got it in me to do this again! I have a different attitude this time, with the knowledge that the band can not do it all for me. It will be interesting because I went thru a good year or 2 of maladaptive eatting & now I can eat real food again. I forgot how it felt to eat fruit & veg!

You have done well, soo much lost!!! Dont you just love the Prof???:)

Hi Curly!

Yes, I sooo love the Prof :) I have an appt with him at the end of the month for my first fill...not sure whether I would have lost any weight since the new band, cos it seems I have gained 4kg this week!! Oh well...it will come back off, once I get restriction.

Which suburb do you live in ? I am in Donvale...my first band slipped, well the stomach came up over it. I had all the Fluid removed to begin with and it sorted itself out, but then as we started to refill, it happened again. I also have several months of dodgy, maladaptive eating...pratically pb'ed everything I ate since the slip, so I went the other way and lost all my weight as opposed to gaining any.

Julie

159kg/65kg/65kg

2/5/05

Prof Obrien

Melbourne

Julie my stomach came up thru the band too!!! My lowest weight was 64kg & now I am 75!!!! Im really suffering because nothing fits.

I live near The Avenue in Prahran.

Im beginning to believe that the band seems to last 2 to 4 years before it gets teething problems???? I hope Im wrong. Every board I read seems to have problems lately. Three years ago all I heard was praise & 100% certainty that this was the answer. Now it seems you either cant get restriction, or it slips or you cant eat healthy food, or your throat spasms etc.

It was much more fun when I had my rose coloured glasses on.....and my hipster jeans that fit!!!!

Curly, You know I am thinking the same thing. I am on several groups and boards and there does seem to be many issues similar :) However, nothing can compare from being 159kg and now feel NORMAL !!

I jumped on the scales today and I am 68kg :) omg...and to think for one week since my surgery I havent eaten anything either !!

Julie

I cant believe you lost sooo much. I would love to hear about your story!!! Maybe start a new thread.

With my old band I definately contributed to the `slip` because I always pushed the limits with my eatting. I still went from 105 kilos to 65, nothing to sneeze at, but I didnt put effort into following the rules. For some reason the weight just came off even with me eatting junk & drinking with meals etc. My problems really started when I kept getting more fill to speed the weight loss or to compinsate for my lack of effort. ie instead of revising what I was doing incorrectly, I just wanted more fil. So being too tight eventually caused too much pressure from the pbing & it caused the band to fail.

I plan to remember & learn from this 2nd time round. However, this new band has different signals than the old one. I can feel things getting stuck & then make their way down! That never happened with the old band. I can eat everything from chicken to california rolls. I dont know if its because the new band tollerates more food types or because Im not tight enough. It is interesting though to have a second chance, I hope I can make it work......because you know, of course I had to tell everyone in the world about being banded, & I am getting lots of comments!:wacko:

I cant believe how similar our stories are ! I could be sitting in your seat typing that same story about pushing the limits and eating til I pb. As you said, its the best thing to be able to have aother chance !! No way am I going to return to 159kg !!

email me off list if you like eeyore21@iinet.net.au

Julie

Hi scrappinghannah and Curley,

I was banded last week in Mulgrave by Mr Chris Hensman, and have the new AP band too. I don't know much about it yet, other than it's softer and more concentric.

He said that it's a production change as the Vanguard stock runs out. He gave me one already because I asked about it.

I live in Aspendale, and would love to chat more with you both.

Cheers,

Anna.

Hey Anna, Great to hear from you. We should organize a little Melbourne Meeting one day at a coffee shop ??...or an AP meet up !! I dont know what size band I have either, or if the surgeon put any fill in at the time of the op. I have an appt at the Avenue on 24th October, if anyone wants to meet, ? Its 2.45pm so might not suit....anyway..great to meet two new friends.

Julie

eeyore21@iinet.net.au

email anytime off list if you like!:wacko:

Hi fellow AP bandsters. Im curious to read or hear something about this new band. Wouldnt you think it would be announced somewhere!!!!

I can feel things get sort of stuck then go slowly & gently down. eg watermellon, chicken (not chewed enough), japanese rolls(the seaweed ones). I dont really feel full as such and have to stop myself from grazing, but Im not going crazy either (as much)!!

I might get a touch more fil but dont want to not be able to eat fruit & vegs like last time, or go into abnormal eatting mode. I am willing to accept that I may never get perfect restriction where it is effortless. Im happy to have the band even if its not perfect.

I would love to meet for a coffee one day.