Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Merry Christmas to all my fellow November Bandsters!!

I went in yesterday for my second fill and after trying forever and not finding the port, he is having me come back Tuesday. They are going to do it by x-ray. I don't mind going back because then we'll be sure it made it in.

Does everyone have big plans for the holiday? Since our family is about all here, we don't really travel. It makes it nice. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday!

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone else scared to get a fill? I have had a few scary episodes when I ate the wrong thing and I am freaked out about having more restriction. I know restriction is the whole point of why we all did this, but I am scared.

Part of it is the changing my whole lift style...I know I need therapy :) I was so gung-ho when I got banded and wanted a fill before I was totally healed and now I just keep procrastinating... I have great inspiration from a close friend that was banded in March or April who has already lost 53 lbs. I guess I just keep worrying that because I could never control what I ate before that after the fill I won't be able to either and I will keep getting stuck and the pain is AWFUL!!!!!

Sorry for the rambling. :huggie:

Hi everyone,

I just had my first fill this morning. It really wan't much of anything. Went Found out I have a regular band that holds 4cc and they filled it 1.3. I don't feel any different, but am hoping this will restrict me more than I have felt in the past. Talking to the other patients and thepatient coordinator was the best part and gave me some hope to lose my weight. I need inspiration because I was feeling no restriction whatever and had only lost 10 pounds since November 27, 2006.

Carol

:help:

Hi everyone! Just checking in with my November friends. I had my 2nd fill on Wednesday and it seems to be fine. My first fill was 1.2 cc and the 2nd was .3 cc. The fills are easy and virtually painless. I didn't have very much restriction with my first fill...I could basically eat everything. I've never had a PB or even a stuck feeling. And that makes me kind of nervous because I don't know what to expect. I'm just starting to eat solid food today so we'll see how it goes. Happy Holidays to everyone!

I go through the same thing about being scared to have restriction... couldn't succeed before, can't succeed now. But I gotta believe most of the people who post here were food failures too, and are now succeeding. So far, I only have restriction in the morning for awhile, and I'm amazed how well I do with that. Baby steps....

What am I doing for Christmas? Well, it's just me, my husband and my 90 year old Mom. No one else is showing up. So we are watching FOURTEEN dogs for people while they are away...IN OUR HOUSE! All large breeds. It's hilarious. No kennels for these guys!

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone else scared to get a fill? I have had a few scary episodes when I ate the wrong thing and I am freaked out about having more restriction. I know restriction is the whole point of why we all did this, but I am scared.

Part of it is the changing my whole lift style...I know I need therapy :) I was so gung-ho when I got banded and wanted a fill before I was totally healed and now I just keep procrastinating... I have great inspiration from a close friend that was banded in March or April who has already lost 53 lbs. I guess I just keep worrying that because I could never control what I ate before that after the fill I won't be able to either and I will keep getting stuck and the pain is AWFUL!!!!!

Sorry for the rambling. :)

Hi, I had my first fill yesterday. I was nervous but it wasn't bad at all.

The worst pain was a sting from the novacaine to numb the area. [a whole 10 -15 seconds}. Remember woman can have children if we can deal with that pain, nothing can stop us. I have to go back in 2 weeks for another fill. Doc said first fill is like a primer and you don't fill much restriction until 2nd or 3rd fill. You can do it, have faith!!:biggrin1:

When I got my first fill, they told me that the shot hurts worse than the fill, so I didn't have the pain shot, and it really didn't hurt!

Hey, we were banded the same day! I get my first fill on 1/11. I started at 255 and am down to 239. We have the same results. What a coinkydink!

Thats too cool!

I started at 259 and I am currently at 241!

At least we know we are doing it right! That makes me feel better!:clap2:

kj

Hi Everyone,

Part of it is the changing my whole lift style...I know I need therapy :girl_hug: I was so gung-ho when I got banded and wanted a fill before I was totally healed and now I just keep procrastinating... I have great inspiration from a close friend that was banded in March or April who has already lost 53 lbs. I guess I just keep worrying that because I could never control what I ate before that after the fill I won't be able to either and I will keep getting stuck and the pain is AWFUL!!!!!

Sorry for the rambling. :present:

Hi Jess~

Listen don't get the fill untill you are ready! This isn't a race and there isn't a time limit! I just got my first fill the other day, and I was excited and ready to have it done! Of course I've never experienced what you have, what with the food getting stuck and the pain. You aren't ready yet for a fill! Get comfortable with your band the way it is, before you go and make it tighter. When I was at my Doctors on Thursday getting my fill there was a woman there getting her first fill and she was banded in July!

If you need therapy , get it, theres nothing like it! But please don't do anything your not going to be ready for!

good luck

kj

What am I doing for Christmas? Well, it's just me, my husband and my 90 year old Mom. No one else is showing up. So we are watching FOURTEEN dogs for people while they are away...IN OUR HOUSE! All large breeds. It's hilarious. No kennels for these guys!

Betsyjane,

I sure hope 14 = Vacation Money. LOL.

Hi Everyone,

Part of it is the changing my whole lift style...I know I need therapy :girl_hug: I was so gung-ho when I got banded and wanted a fill before I was totally healed and now I just keep procrastinating... I have great inspiration from a close friend that was banded in March or April who has already lost 53 lbs. I guess I just keep worrying that because I could never control what I ate before that after the fill I won't be able to either and I will keep getting stuck and the pain is AWFUL!!!!!

Sorry for the rambling. :present:

Jess,

I was scared to get a fill at first because I didn't know what to expect. But, as you can see below my signature, I'm three fills in since banding.

I know everyone keeps saying it's virtually painless, and they're right. To me, it feels like getting a shot less the pain of the medicine being injected into the muscle. Instead, the needle enters the port and you can't feel the saline being injected because there's no muscle involved.

Hi Everyone,

As you can see I am up again @ almost 4am because I am in pain again. This is what I am more afraid of for the fill not just the needle part...does anyone else go through what I am. It happens about an hour after I eat...the pain starts in the center of my back and in my stomach and lasts for hours.....I try throwing up, that doesn't help...I walk on my tread mill...sitting hurts...laying down hurts...I am very nervous about pain pills but I feel like I would take anything if it would stop the pain, but I don't because I worry they wouldn't go down and would erode my band. I have an e-mail into my Dr's but probably won't get a response because it's x-mas. UGHHH won't the pain stop. I feel like to only thing I can eat it Soup and I'm sick of soup. Once again sorry for the rambling and the complaining.

Just sick of hurting.

Jess

Hi Everyone,

As you can see I am up again @ almost 4am because I am in pain again. This is what I am more afraid of for the fill not just the needle part...does anyone else go through what I am. It happens about an hour after I eat...the pain starts in the center of my back and in my stomach and lasts for hours.....I try throwing up, that doesn't help...I walk on my tread mill...sitting hurts...laying down hurts...I am very nervous about pain pills but I feel like I would take anything if it would stop the pain, but I don't because I worry they wouldn't go down and would erode my band. I have an e-mail into my Dr's but probably won't get a response because it's x-mas. UGHHH won't the pain stop. I feel like to only thing I can eat it Soup and I'm sick of soup. Once again sorry for the rambling and the complaining.

Just sick of hurting.

Jess

Jess, I hope the pain has subsided. I've only experienced pain like you describe a few times and it's been because I ate too much. When I got my fill, the doctor had me drink until I felt full. I chucked 4 ounces of Water. I didn't feel full (I've since learned it's a different feeling than the all-you-can eat buffet full feeling) but could feel the water in my esophagus. Figured if it's coming back out, I'm full. About 10 minutes after I left the doctor's office I had pain like I haven't experienced before. I was more uncomfortable than right after surgery. (Of course then, I had the morphine pump so didn't feel anything!)

Go back to your basics. Eat small bites of softer foods and chew well. I joke that the pain is a bigger incentive not to overeat than the band. I don't want to ever experience what I did after the fill. (And the fill itself wasn't bad. It was the over consumption was the problem.) As others have said, don't rush the fill. You may not be ready. Get comfortable with having the band and practicing the proper eating habits. You'll be fine.

As to drugs eroding the band, remember the band is on the OUTSIDE of the stomach. Not that anything you put in your stomach is good for you, but the contents of your stomach don't come in contact with the actual band. (If they do, you have MUCH bigger problems.)

Tom