Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

TropicalJill--What a selfess, wonderful, lovely thing to do for others and helps you out too! How did that experience go for you? Bless you!

Congrats Kathy! Have you seen Better Than Boullion in your stores. It's Soup base that really tastes hearty. It was great help to me during my first days banded.

And yep. Walking helps with the gas. So does chewable tylenol and a heating pad.

Hello Everyone

Randi--I am freaked out, but thankful by the info. that you shared with me about the pain meds. I am totally sure that my surgeon (who seems to be very knowledgable and trustworthy) said that it was ok for me to take ibuprofen. He even had me taking an aspirin a day for a few days to help prevent blood clots. I usually have to take about two exedrins a day for unrelated pain (TMJ) is that projected to be a problem too? And what is the problem again...the meds stay in the pouch and could cause erosion? (which is something I am totally worried about in the first place...please provide more info. on this if possible, even an article or possible..?) Thank you!

Otherwise---I have been doing ok. Surprisingly I have not had any trouble with gas pains, I suppose I should consider myself lucky there. I have had gas, but no pain from it. What has been a real pain...ha ha...has been my port incision that just kills me! It has been very very painful, but getting better day by day.

My new issue is feeling very "out of it" disorientated, almost like in a haze...:rolleyes can anyone relate to this? It is starting to freak me out, like it is not going to go away. Maybe I can attribute this to the pain meds (which I have not taken since yesterday morning) and maybe just my body being in shock from all of this?

Thanks for any advice! :girl_hug:

Hi Vegge,

Yes the biggest thing is erosion...so only use excedrin if it is the only recourse. Very little aspirin also. My first day back at the hospital yesterday was a killer for me! 12 hrs. and my leg spasms non-stop...today they are better. Yesterday i wlaked around with a cane all day long! Embarrasing....

Glad you are all doing well...and yes Karen...I was hungry...I took bites of everything!!!!!!!!! It all went down except for one piece of dry breast of turkey whc was kind of stuck bad feeling!

Vegge...no worries...the reality is and it is stated in Inamed band the long term use of these drugs. That is to say that if you had to take an anti inflammatory like Naprosyn or Aleve everyday for arthritis. Taking them for a period after your surgery is completely acceptable. My surgeon is a proctor for Inamed and he said take the Aleve!! Erosion does not occur from taking this for a few days. Or taking one every now and then. Tylenol does not work for me period and it never has so I wouldn't have had the band without confirming the safety of every now and then use.

As for everything else I'm two weeks out today my surgical tape all fell off today and the wounds have healed very nicely I'm pleased. As of one week after surgery I am down 27 lbs which is exciting. I, like Karen, was able to eat a bit of everything yesterday and YEAH! I' m not freaked out I'm happy I was able to enjoy the holiday with my family with something other than bouillon, popsicles, etc.

I've had some trouble with anemia I guess slight case before surgery and now bigger problem. I'm also having low blood pressure....both things have me in a bit of a quandry as I'm scared, but will hope they are resolved soon. Two days ago my PCP said he needed time to decide what to test or do next...UGH! Anyone else ever been diagnosed with anemia??

In closing, I'm thankful for family, for friends, for health, for love and for spirituality. Be well friends...I hope to cheer up once I have some news that I'm gonna be okay.

Vegge...no worries...the reality is and it is stated in Inamed band the long term use of these drugs. That is to say that if you had to take an anti inflammatory like Naprosyn or Aleve everyday for arthritis. Taking them for a period after your surgery is completely acceptable. My surgeon is a proctor for Inamed and he said take the Aleve!! Erosion does not occur from taking this for a few days. Or taking one every now and then. Tylenol does not work for me period and it never has so I wouldn't have had the band without confirming the safety of every now and then use.

As for everything else I'm two weeks out today my surgical tape all fell off today and the wounds have healed very nicely I'm pleased. As of one week after surgery I am down 27 lbs which is exciting. I, like Karen, was able to eat a bit of everything yesterday and YEAH! I' m not freaked out I'm happy I was able to enjoy the holiday with my family with something other than bouillon, popsicles, etc.

I've had some trouble with anemia I guess slight case before surgery and now bigger problem. I'm also having low blood pressure....both things have me in a bit of a quandry as I'm scared, but will hope they are resolved soon. Two days ago my PCP said he needed time to decide what to test or do next...UGH! Anyone else ever been diagnosed with anemia??

In closing, I'm thankful for family, for friends, for health, for love and for spirituality. Be well friends...I hope to cheer up once I have some news that I'm gonna be okay.

Thanks, Grace, for weighing in on the ibuprofen issue. I was like you, I chose the band only after confirming that I could take ibuprofen if I really needed it, since I can not take anything else. As for the anemia, I'm sure your doctor will be able to help you. When you had it before, did they find the cause? I'm sure you lost some blood during surgery and that must be why it is back.... Please don't worry yet. I also deal with anemia, but I am taking a small vitamin/iron tablet now to combat it. Can you take something like that also?

Oh, and you have lost so much weight---that is wonderful! WOW!! :clap2:

That disoriented feeling may be there until you get the anaesthetic out of your system. It might also be from lack of nutrients.....

Hi Karen... thanks so much for writing back hon.

I never had anemia until the pre surgical testing which slowed a very slight hemoglobin drop...think it's normal is supposed to be 12 for non anemic and I was 11.7. Post surgery I am 10 and change not sure I remember exact number. I'm wondering if it is because I have fibroid uterine tumors that cause me seriously heavy periods...like some days I have to change tampons every hour. Not to be gross, but trying to relate how heavy they are. So I'm wondering if that might be it. I started Iron three days ago and today I started to feel better, but this evening I'm fairly certain I'm catching the old cold UGH! Just took a bunch of echnicea (sp?) hope that combats it. Tomorrow and Sunday bed bed bed.

Hi Karen... thanks so much for writing back hon.

I never had anemia until the pre surgical testing which slowed a very slight hemoglobin drop...think it's normal is supposed to be 12 for non anemic and I was 11.7. Post surgery I am 10 and change not sure I remember exact number. I'm wondering if it is because I have fibroid uterine tumors that cause me seriously heavy periods...like some days I have to change tampons every hour. Not to be gross, but trying to relate how heavy they are. So I'm wondering if that might be it. I started Iron three days ago and today I started to feel better, but this evening I'm fairly certain I'm catching the old cold UGH! Just took a bunch of echnicea (sp?) hope that combats it. Tomorrow and Sunday bed bed bed.

Dear Full Of Grace,

Try Airborne...just let the fizzz go away now that you are naded before you drink it. Hope you feel better soon!:sick

I am feeling soooo hungry!!!! How much mushies can we eat? I am trying to stay if possible under 1000 clas....my weight is stuck....210 and it is not coming off! Any suggestions?:help:

Hello everyone just checking in because I am feeling much better today...The gas pains are still there but more tolerable but I sound like a pig burping all over the place, hahahaha...My heating pad has been my best friend the last week but all in all definately out of the terrible stage...I am getting more down with no problem and I got on the scale this morning and I am already down 12lbs and my surgery was Monday....I know I might gain some back I am totally prepared but that is still awesome right? I hope to start getting back to the gym and tighting up this body....Thnaks again for all your help until next time....

Hi Angela..... I am going through the same thing. But when I scheduled my first fill, I started doing better. Had a date to shoot for! Looking forward to Dec. 11!

Glad to hear the news, Apink. Those first days become a distant memory pretty quickly. Good for you.

Hi all,

My thanksgiving was great- it felt good to help others instead of stuffing my face and feel miserable. (thanks Karen & Vegge for your kind words) Afterwords, came home and "splurged" on a little bit of mashed potatoes!

I am a week and half out a fell pretty darn good. Went back to the gym today, I am excited to start sweating this stuff off. Weighted myself- down 11 lbs since surgery. I dont have a scale at home (how convenient) but think I may even get one! That is a BIG step for me. I am so optimistic that this is going to work I am not "afraid" any more to have a scale. Does that sound wierd?

I have a slight infection in one of my incisions, my PCP gave me topical antiboitic-didn't work. Now I am on liquid antiboitic- hope that clears it up.

Vegge- what about a liquid pain reliever, maybe that will help you with the fear of eroision?

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend everyone.

Jill

Randi--I am freaked out, but thankful by the info. that you shared with me about the pain meds. I am totally sure that my surgeon (who seems to be very knowledgable and trustworthy) said that it was ok for me to take ibuprofen. He even had me taking an aspirin a day for a few days to help prevent blood clots. I usually have to take about two exedrins a day for unrelated pain (TMJ) is that projected to be a problem too? And what is the problem again...the meds stay in the pouch and could cause erosion? (which is something I am totally worried about in the first place...please provide more info. on this if possible, even an article or possible..?) Thank you!

Veggestyle,

The information I shared with you came directly from my surgeon. However, page 13 of the Inamed Handbook (//www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf) briefly touches on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Also, here's a link to some additional information regarding NSAIDs: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/4/1680_50448.htm, as well as a listing I found on some brand names of NSAIDs: http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/nsaid.html

Veggestyle,

The information I shared with you came directly from my surgeon. However, page 13 of the Inamed Handbook (//www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf) briefly touches on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Also, here's a link to some additional information regarding NSAIDs: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/4/1680_50448.htm, as well as a listing I found on some brand names of NSAIDs: http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/nsaid.html

Thanks for the links, Randi! I have not seen that handbook and that is great to have. The other links were good, too. Very informative!

Oh, and I love the line under your name.... I need to remember that when I start to feel unsure..... thanks!

Karen

I am feeling soooo hungry!!!! How much mushies can we eat? I am trying to stay if possible under 1000 clas....my weight is stuck....210 and it is not coming off! Any suggestions?:help:

Hi Angela! My weight stopped this week, too.... 16 pounds in 2 weeks, then nothing. My hunger didn't really go away until I went to solid food. My doctor has us start after 2 weeks. Now I can eat three meals with a snack and I am pretty much ok. I think you can eat about 1/2-1 cup (if eaten slowly) when on food, but mushies I think you need to eat 1/2 cup every 2 hours. And I think hunger is a good sign....you are healing up well and your body is ready for action!

Take care,

Karen