Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I guess it's just a real fine line between feeling restriction and not. I know it's different for everyone, but at this point I can eat everything I could before the band...so hopefully this next fill will remedy that.

I guess it's just a real fine line between feeling restriction and not. I know it's different for everyone, but at this point I can eat everything I could before the band...so hopefully this next fill will remedy that.

I hear you! The 4-5 days before I had my first fill, the only thing that kept me from eating anything/everything was will power. I was starving most of the day. I had only lost 1 pound in the 3 weeks between my first follow-up visit and my first fill. After the fill, I lost 5 pounds in a week. (Of course, the day of the fill I had almost nothing to eat and very little the next day.) I'm now 3 weeks post-fill and am again finding myself hungry. I'm able to eat more than I should so am really trying to use restraint and make wise food choices. I gained 2 pounds the week before but lost 7 this past week. I called the doctor about moving up my fill date and he likes to wait at least 6 weeks between fills. He said to drink more Water and exercise more. I've been drinking 4-6 bottles of water a day. I bought a pair of athletic shoes but so far they're sitting on the kitchen table. We have a fitness center at work and I need to get signed up but haven't made the time to do so. Tomorrow I need to make myself do it. I'd rather have surgery without anesthesia than do regimented exercise. When the weather is nice, I get a decent workout just working around the farm, but this time of year, I get rather lazy. And I've noticed that with losing the weight (53 pounds since March), the skin is starting to get a bit saggy so I need to work on toning.

Tom

I'm doing good, and feeling good about my weight loss!

I'm walking 30+ minutes a day and have decided to join the gym (this friday).

I'm having some other medical issues with my back which is affecting my ability to sleep, so I'm feeling pretty crappy about that. I'm going to get a series of tests done today to try to figure out the source of the problem.

I'm going for a second fill next week, because while I am losing, its no where near steady and I can eat EVERY THING (even white bread which I shouldn't have even tried!).

Hope you are all well!!

I was banded on 11/13. Lost 15 lbs in three weeks and then stopped losing weight. Did not lose any weight the next five weeks (it's hard to be good during the holiday's) I actually gained 4 lbs. I had my first fill this past Saturday (1/6/07) I have a 4 CC band and was filled 1.5 CC. Wow, what a difference! I'm not sure if it's because my stomach is sensitive from the fill but I cannot eat hardly anything. liquids are fine but I have to drink really slowly. As far as soft foods - only 2 -3 spoonfulls. If I go over that, the pain starts up. Before the fill I never had this type of pain before even when I ate too much. Just thinking about it makes me stay away from food. I've lost the 4 lbs. I gained plus an extra 2.5 lbs. Now I am at 17.5 total pounds lost. That five weeks of not losing really set me back but I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

I'm not suffering from hunger. It's been really tolerable. I wonder if this will change in the next few days when my stomach settles down.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my first fill.

Lea

I want to let you guys know that there are couple of success stories on the thread I start (success stories).

Also, something happened last night. I've been on a binge for last week. I've ate pizza, tacos, Cookies, cake, chinese food, anything I could get my hands on. I have gained 2 pounds this week. :) But to top things off I got a call from 78 years old father. He asked me how I was feeling, etc. Then he was talking about all that he ate for dinner and afterwards...he giggled and said that maybe he need the "lap band" ha ha. I blew it off, but by bedtime I was laying there and started crying. I guess my feeling got hurt. He was making fun of the lap band. I just thought he understood, but apparently he doesn't. I am still bummed out about it. You want your parents approval for everything you do. I have struggled with my weight all my life and he knows this and he knows that I am diabetic and struggle with it too. He doesn't make fun of the fact that a walk around everything 24/7 with an insulin pump attached to stomach. Man...I am sooo hurt, but I won't say anything. He is my father!

We bandsters need to come up with some cutting comebacks for people who don't understand our struggles. I didn't tell my dad about my band because I didn't think he would get it. I sympathize, negative weight comments always hurt. All I can say is that you have all of us to support you, good days and bad days.

I want to let you guys know that there are couple of success stories on the thread I start (success stories).

Also, something happened last night. I've been on a binge for last week. I've ate pizza, tacos, Cookies, cake, chinese food, anything I could get my hands on. I have gained 2 pounds this week. :) But to top things off I got a call from 78 years old father. He asked me how I was feeling, etc. Then he was talking about all that he ate for dinner and afterwards...he giggled and said that maybe he need the "lap band" ha ha. I blew it off, but by bedtime I was laying there and started crying. I guess my feeling got hurt. He was making fun of the lap band. I just thought he understood, but apparently he doesn't. I am still bummed out about it. You want your parents approval for everything you do. I have struggled with my weight all my life and he knows this and he knows that I am diabetic and struggle with it too. He doesn't make fun of the fact that a walk around everything 24/7 with an insulin pump attached to stomach. Man...I am sooo hurt, but I won't say anything. He is my father!

Dear Brooksie,

Don't feel deprived...remember you can have "LITTLE" bites of almost everything there is to eat! Just remember to do the best you can and eat very low carb mosstly due to your diabetes. You can have chinese, Pasta etc. just choose the right dishes... whole wheat or spelt pasta in small amts., one slice of pizza and try toeat just the topping, low carb candies and ice cream in moderation. I think you need a fill...once you PB once or twice you will NEVER want to overeat again!!! Believe me!:) Also... a support group in your area(with a professional counselor leading it) I think will work well for you... it helps to work through the issues that MAKE us over eat in the first place. It sounds to me that your Dad was just rtying to be "funny in a cute sort of way". not meaning to hurt you...it seemed more like he was putting down his eating behavior, not the band. Brooksie the other thing I finally learned just a few years ago and have to remind myself evrtime I talk or visit my parents.... I am an adult and have MY LIFE and I do not need my parents approval or the approval of ANYONE else! It is so freeing and it allows one to finally do things because it is what is best for you and your future...not your parents or friends. It is your life, so YOU take charge of it! No one else will. IF your Dad tends to say things that are hurtful to you, it is OK to respectfully and sweetly, but FIRMLY tell your Dad you are hurt by his comments and it is making things difficult in your journey to a new life. He will understand.

Brooksie, I do counseling as well as natural medicine...they go together. It is VERY important to as you are treating a "physical" illness to also treat mind and spirit...they are linked and all three of them need to be stable to have complete health...that includes weight loss, diabetes, etc. Go get your self a book or two of Wayne DYer...get the audio kind so you can listen over and over again until your brain hears the messages. Get his last two books...ask at the bookstore. VERY INSPIRATIONAL!

I hope you don't mind my advise...we have been together in this since before banding and I care and worry about you. I wish for you success on your journey, complete health and tons of happiness!!! Just think...you will not only look MORE beautiful...you will no longer need that darn insulin pump! GO BROOKSIE!!!! :)

Dear Brooksie,

Don't feel deprived...remember you can have "LITTLE" bites of almost everything there is to eat! Just remember to do the best you can and eat very low carb mosstly due to your diabetes. You can have chinese, Pasta etc. just choose the right dishes... whole wheat or spelt pasta in small amts., one slice of pizza and try toeat just the topping, low carb candies and ice cream in moderation. I think you need a fill...once you PB once or twice you will NEVER want to overeat again!!! Believe me!:) Also... a support group in your area(with a professional counselor leading it) I think will work well for you... it helps to work through the issues that MAKE us over eat in the first place. It sounds to me that your Dad was just rtying to be "funny in a cute sort of way". not meaning to hurt you...it seemed more like he was putting down his eating behavior, not the band. Brooksie the other thing I finally learned just a few years ago and have to remind myself evrtime I talk or visit my parents.... I am an adult and have MY LIFE and I do not need my parents approval or the approval of ANYONE else! It is so freeing and it allows one to finally do things because it is what is best for you and your future...not your parents or friends. It is your life, so YOU take charge of it! No one else will. IF your Dad tends to say things that are hurtful to you, it is OK to respectfully and sweetly, but FIRMLY tell your Dad you are hurt by his comments and it is making things difficult in your journey to a new life. He will understand.

Brooksie, I do counseling as well as natural medicine...they go together. It is VERY important to as you are treating a "physical" illness to also treat mind and spirit...they are linked and all three of them need to be stable to have complete health...that includes weight loss, diabetes, etc. Go get your self a book or two of Wayne DYer...get the audio kind so you can listen over and over again until your brain hears the messages. Get his last two books...ask at the bookstore. VERY INSPIRATIONAL!

I hope you don't mind my advise...we have been together in this since before banding and I care and worry about you. I wish for you success on your journey, complete health and tons of happiness!!! Just think...you will not only look MORE beautiful...you will no longer need that darn insulin pump! GO BROOKSIE!!!! :)

Thank you...I will take all the advise I can get! I am like a child...tell me over and over again until it get through my thick head.

Brooksie, please listen with your heart to the great advice Angela just gave, and the support and encouragement AnnaM and others have also given. We ARE here for each other, specifically for the very reason that very few others in our lives can truly understand what we are going through, either before the band or after it. We need to stick together and vent and share here.... and not think about what others do or say to us. So please keep sharing your journey! I believe that you will get a handle on this and one day soon you will become strong, capable and self-assured and will no longer let your family or your emotions rule your feelings and behaviors. Hold on and BELIEVE!! And also, please be gentle with yourself... you are a work in progress (as we all are), and you must start from HERE to get to THERE!! Good luck, and keep going!!

:) Karen

Brooskie-

Just let it go in one ear and out the other (I know that is hard sometimes). I am sure he didn't mean any harm, he just doesn't "get" it. I have lost both my mother and father and wish that they were alive to be able to see my progress through this journey- so count yourself lucky he is around to see :-)

Jill

I am reading about how much saline everyone got filled into their band and I am confused. I recently had my first fill, and the surgeon told me that he put in 4.5 ml, but everyone refers to their fills in c.c.'s? What is different about mine? He said that I have the small band, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it? What does c.c. even stand for?

I am reading about how much saline everyone got filled into their band and I am confused. I recently had my first fill, and the surgeon told me that he put in 4.5 ml, but everyone refers to their fills in c.c.'s? What is different about mine? He said that I have the small band, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it? What does c.c. even stand for?

cc = cubic centimeter

ml - milliliter

http://fiascofarm.com/conversion_guide.htm

I can't let other people's reactions get me off track, or they've won and I've used them as an excuse to eat. I have to follow my path and put my energy there and not into nay-sayers.

I just want to say that reading what everyone is going threw daily really helps. You guys have such great advice and such positive responses. :nervous Thank you for all the support you guys give. I love reading everyone's views. Not too many people know I have a band and haven't had to deal with going to eat with anyone yet. I guess once a lot of weight goes then I will start getting questions. No one has really noticed the 20 pounds lost yet. I can't wait to get down another 20...........Thanks again for all of everyones inspirational advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heh:

Well, I haven't started a program yet but I did make it to the fitness center at work and went through the initial review process. (And per their scale, I was 3 pounds less than I was on Monday! My blood pressure has never been an issue and it was 90/66 today so it still isn't a problem, even in the presence of exercise equipment which causes me great stress. <G>) Because of the recent surgery for the band and that I was a Type II Diabetic (although still off meds since surgery!), they want to get a clearance from my family doctor before developing a plan for me. As soon as they get that, they go through an orientation and safe use of all the equipment and develop a plan for me to start. Hopefully I'll start next week 2-3 days a week after work.

Tom