Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

Denise, I just want to say you look great and you are an inspiration to all of us. I can see a difference all over your body. Keep up the good work. I also have to commend you for doing the lap band vs. gastric bypass. Besdies, if you had done the bypass, we would have never had you on the board!

Tom, thanks for the encouragement. I always know when I read one of your posts I can count on a pep talk and encouragement You are great at reminding all of us we need to think positive.

Happy New Year to everyone! Here's to a flabby-less 2007!!!

Jill

Denise, I just want to say you look great and you are an inspiration to all of us. I can see a difference all over your body. Keep up the good work. I also have to commend you for doing the lap band vs. gastric bypass. Besdies, if you had done the bypass, we would have never had you on the board!

Thank you. :) When I heard about lapband, I knew it was for me. Gastric bypass terrified me. I had a friend who did it and she has had so many problems. I know that's not the case with everyone who has it but the whole procedure scared me. While the idea of the weight coming off faster looks nice with gb, the overall picture isn't all that appealing. (It's very common for people who have gb to put a lot of weight back on.) I am content to have the weight come off slower because I am learning how to eat correctly and exercise. And I love LBT! Everyone here has been so wonderful!!

:clap2: The one thing i look forward to is going into a regular clothes store, picking out something not from the plus section. I can't wait until I can do that. I just wanted to say how much I get from this site. It's a chance for all of us to get together and inspire the ones who are down or just share our stories. YOU GALS(and TOM )are GREAT!!!

:clap2: The one thing i look forward to is going into a regular clothes store, picking out something not from the plus section. I can't wait until I can do that. I just wanted to say how much I get from this site. It's a chance for all of us to get together and inspire the ones who are down or just share our stories. YOU GALS(and TOM )are GREAT!!!

I also look forward to going to the regular section instead of plus size! That will be so awesome!

Happy New Year Nov. Bandsters!!!!

We have so much to look forward to this new year. We will all lose weight, even if it is slowly. We will all have better health, look better, feel better and who knows what great wonders this positive change will bring our way. Good luck to all of you! I am glad we are all here for support, friendship and cheering our successes!:party: :clap2:

I'm learning interesting things here. I had my first fill and it wasn't very filling, except in the morning. So I'm going hour by hour, sometimes struggling. When I'm quiet and eat slowly and chewchewchew, I feel some restriction. When I'm speedy I either ignore it or something.....but I don't feel any restriction. Anyway, I'm eating very imerfectly, especially around 3PM each day, but there's a bit of weight loss. I'm kind of glad there isn't more restriction yet because I'm learning alot. I'll call for an appt to get the fill, but I think I really needed this interim time.

I'm learning interesting things here. I had my first fill and it wasn't very filling, except in the morning. So I'm going hour by hour, sometimes struggling. When I'm quiet and eat slowly and chewchewchew, I feel some restriction. When I'm speedy I either ignore it or something.....but I don't feel any restriction. Anyway, I'm eating very imerfectly, especially around 3PM each day, but there's a bit of weight loss. I'm kind of glad there isn't more restriction yet because I'm learning alot. I'll call for an appt to get the fill, but I think I really needed this interim time.

Betsyjane, I understand! I had surgery on 11/7 and had my first fill on 12/18 (1 day shy of 6 weeks). The last week or so before the fill (2 cc in a 4 cc band), the only thing that kept me from eating anything that didn't move was will-power. I got the fill, was an intense pain from drinking too much Water too fast but then settled in nicely. (Lost 5 pounds in the 8 days after the fill.) I made it through Christmas without a problem. Starting the end of last week, I'm back to feeling like I'm going to eat anything that doesn't eat me first. I'm managing to keep under 1000 calories a day, but again it's an issue of will power, not desire or hunger, or at least perceived hunger. I'm not scheduled for another fill until 1/29 so have 4 more weeks. I've been pretty good about eating slowly and chewing well but the few times recently I've slipped back into my "swallow it whole before it gets away" mentality, I've NOT had any adverse reaction. I weigh tomorrow so guess that will be an indication of whether my will power was working or not. Or maybe it just seems like I'm always hungry and I'm not really eating more. I have found that chewing gum or sucking on a sugar-free hard candy (gotta love the Werhters!) helps at least keep my mind off of putting something in my mouth.

On a positive note, I went to Olive Garden for dinner on New Year's Eve. I explained to the waitress by situation and asked if I could order off the children's menu. She was wonderful and said no problem. Of course, most of their items are not overly high in Protein but they did have a grilled chicken breast with brocolli and Pasta. (Added bonus is that it was only $4.75!) She brought it out and I couldn't believe the portion. I cut the chicken in half, and put it with half the brocolli to the side. I ate the other half with about 1/4-1/3 of the spaghetti. And only had 1/2 of the breadstick which I could make a meal of by itself. I brought the left over home and had that for lunch today. I gave at least 1/3 of the spaghetti to the dogs. I went out with a friend that was treating and was told I was a cheap date! <G> I just said don't expect a "nightcap" with spending so little. ;-) And I prefer to be called inexpensive, not cheap!

Tom

Betsyjane, I understand! I had surgery on 11/7 and had my first fill on 12/18 (1 day shy of 6 weeks). The last week or so before the fill (2 cc in a 4 cc band), the only thing that kept me from eating anything that didn't move was will-power. I got the fill, was an intense pain from drinking too much Water too fast but then settled in nicely. (Lost 5 pounds in the 8 days after the fill.) I made it through Christmas without a problem. Starting the end of last week, I'm back to feeling like I'm going to eat anything that doesn't eat me first. I'm managing to keep under 1000 calories a day, but again it's an issue of will power, not desire or hunger, or at least perceived hunger. I'm not scheduled for another fill until 1/29 so have 4 more weeks. I've been pretty good about eating slowly and chewing well but the few times recently I've slipped back into my "swallow it whole before it gets away" mentality, I've NOT had any adverse reaction. I weigh tomorrow so guess that will be an indication of whether my will power was working or not. Or maybe it just seems like I'm always hungry and I'm not really eating more. I have found that chewing gum or sucking on a sugar-free hard candy (gotta love the Werhters!) helps at least keep my mind off of putting something in my mouth.

On a positive note, I went to Olive Garden for dinner on New Year's Eve. I explained to the waitress by situation and asked if I could order off the children's menu. She was wonderful and said no problem. Of course, most of their items are not overly high in Protein but they did have a grilled chicken breast with brocolli and Pasta. (Added bonus is that it was only $4.75!) She brought it out and I couldn't believe the portion. I cut the chicken in half, and put it with half the brocolli to the side. I ate the other half with about 1/4-1/3 of the spaghetti. And only had 1/2 of the breadstick which I could make a meal of by itself. I brought the left over home and had that for lunch today. I gave at least 1/3 of the spaghetti to the dogs. I went out with a friend that was treating and was told I was a cheap date! <G> I just said don't expect a "nightcap" with spending so little. ;-) And I prefer to be called inexpensive, not cheap!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I love your story...great idea, I will do the same at Olive Garden!

Hi Tom,

I love your story...great idea, I will do the same at Olive Garden!

The only problem was that most of the kids items were not high in Protein. I was kind of surprised when I got my meal that it was considered a kid's meal. Most kids, especialy those under 10 which was the age cut-off, would not likely go for that. The meal was suppose to come with a beverage in a take-home "Uncle Ollie" cup. I asked if I could get wine in the cup. ;-)

Tom

I'm also finding that on occasion I'm grazing between meals, on higher calorie, easier to slide through foods, and I figure no amount of restriction will help that, so I'm working on that. I guess I'm finding that it's hard work, but it used to be impossible work. So if hard and imperfect work leads to success, then I could end up with some confidence!

One of the women who's had the band for awhile told me that most chain restaurants will honor the band and serve half or third portions. I need to try that. My hope is to be able to do full portions and take the rest home for 2 more meals at times too......

Anyway, it's a very introspective process for me now. I'd love to see the weight just melt off, but I also feel like I'm easing into a new life.

I'm also finding that on occasion I'm grazing between meals, on higher calorie, easier to slide through foods, and I figure no amount of restriction will help that, so I'm working on that. I guess I'm finding that it's hard work, but it used to be impossible work. So if hard and imperfect work leads to success, then I could end up with some confidence!

One of the women who's had the band for awhile told me that most chain restaurants will honor the band and serve half or third portions. I need to try that. My hope is to be able to do full portions and take the rest home for 2 more meals at times too......

Anyway, it's a very introspective process for me now. I'd love to see the weight just melt off, but I also feel like I'm easing into a new life.

I'm not necessarily eating lots of high calorie foods, just more often of the "good" foods. I have pretty good control on eating an appropriate amount at one sitting, it's just the number of sittings. I just finished Breakfast and I'm *NOT* full. I had a pouched egg, 1/4 cup of no-fat cottage cheese, 1/4 toasted bagel with a 1/2 teaspoon of light butter and 1/2 cup of Spicy V8 and still feel hungry. I'm not going to eat more now but I'll struggle to make it through to my next "feeding" without needing something. Guess it's time to do dishes and clean the house so I'm not eating. After surgery and after the first fill, I did feel full on the same or less food. Last night for dinner, I had 1.5 ounces of grilled pork loin, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes and then WAY too much boiled cabbage and sauerkraut. It's not that either the kraut or cabbage had many calories but it shouldn't have fit volume wise without being painful. (Someone else fixed my plate. Since I live alone, I typically fix only one serving at a time so it requires a large effort to eat more. When eating out, I'll reportion the foods and get a take-out box as soon as they bring me the food so that once the food on my plate is gone, I'm done. If it's not there, I can't eat it.)

As long as I continue downwards in weight, I know that through the band and whatever willpower I can muster, it's working. A gay guy I work with told me yesterday that if I keep losing weight he's going to have to ask me out. As another friend of mine said, it doesn't matter who's looking as long as someone is! <G>

Tom

Tom, it sounds like it's time for a fill for you. I read that wonderful thread on how to know if you need a fill, went through the check list as was still unsure so I called my Dr's office. All they asked was if I could eat more than a chiken breast at a meal. i said yes and they said I needed a fill!

Tom, it sounds like it's time for a fill for you. I read that wonderful thread on how to know if you need a fill, went through the check list as was still unsure so I called my Dr's office. All they asked was if I could eat more than a chiken breast at a meal. i said yes and they said I needed a fill!

Could be. I just had my first fill 3 weeks ago, which was 6 weeks post-surgery. He normally waits 8-12 weeks but felt I was progressing to the point it was time. He filled it twice as much as he normally does and thought they may have to take some out. I'm scheduled or another fill in 4 weeks so I'll give this week to see how I do. If the hunger continues, I'll call and see if I can get in sooner. I'm definitely eating FAR less than pre-band and I'm still losing so it might not be as bad as I think, but the last thing I need to do is to overstretch the pouch and defeat the band.

I feel like I've lost weight this past week based on how my clothes are fitting so it probably means I didn't. ;-) I thought I had lost quite a bit in the three weeks between doctor's visits and only lost a pound. Didn't feel like I did much the next week and was down 5 pounds. If I could just get my body, my mind and the scale all on the same page!

Tom

I'm not necessarily eating lots of high calorie foods, just more often of the "good" foods. I have pretty good control on eating an appropriate amount at one sitting, it's just the number of sittings. I just finished breakfast and I'm *NOT* full. I had a pouched egg, 1/4 cup of no-fat cottage cheese, 1/4 toasted bagel with a 1/2 teaspoon of light butter and 1/2 cup of Spicy V8 and still feel hungry. I'm not going to eat more now but I'll struggle to make it through to my next "feeding" without needing something. Guess it's time to do dishes and clean the house so I'm not eating. After surgery and after the first fill, I did feel full on the same or less food. Last night for dinner, I had 1.5 ounces of grilled pork loin, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes and then WAY too much boiled cabbage and sauerkraut. It's not that either the kraut or cabbage had many calories but it shouldn't have fit volume wise without being painful. (Someone else fixed my plate. Since I live alone, I typically fix only one serving at a time so it requires a large effort to eat more. When eating out, I'll reportion the foods and get a take-out box as soon as they bring me the food so that once the food on my plate is gone, I'm done. If it's not there, I can't eat it.)

As long as I continue downwards in weight, I know that through the band and whatever willpower I can muster, it's working. A gay guy I work with told me yesterday that if I keep losing weight he's going to have to ask me out. As another friend of mine said, it doesn't matter who's looking as long as someone is! <G>

Tom

LOL...

I'm back! Need those words of encouragement. I have been eating like crazy this morning too. I ate a yogurt, 1 pack of cream of wheat, 2 hard boiled eggs and a snack size of gold fish crackers...STILL HUNGRY! I know what it is and you won't believe me. There is a full moon!