Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats The Worst Thing You've Eaten Post Op?

I started out and was eating quite a bit and quite a bit of it at restaurants. When I started in June going to the nutritionist I started having a Protein drink for Breakfast and what I wanted for lunch and dinner, even cheeseburger and fries.

Then I started the 2 week liquid diet. I only cheated with 2 meals on the liquid diet - once was a binge Mexican dinner and the other was a small Greek salad from Ikea.

I was real good for almost the first 2 weeks. Only thing I ate that was not liquid was about a tablespoon of some kind of Beans, not really a bad cheat. And toward the end of my second 2 weeks (puree stage), I have been able to eat and tolerate soft food and even a piece of chicken and a piece of tilapia chewed up really good. And today I had a bite of the Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin Cheesecake. It was just a sample at Sam's but it was more than enough for me.

My NUT says to aim for 90% compliance and not to deprive yourself too much or it will backfire. Take a bite now, but be good the rest of the week. As long as you are not doing it every day or even every other day, you should be good.

My NUT also said to avoid popcorn, seeds and nuts for 6 months. I suppose I will wait at least another 4 1/2 months (total 5 1/2 months) and then chew them really good.

My best advice would be do not go back to eating empty calories. Even a bite is not gonna be good for you. I was fine with eating nutrious foods and healthiyer until I took that first taste of forbidin food and it wass down hill from there.

I'm pretty sure I have a chemical addiction to carbs and high fat foods and just like a drug addict I exposed myself to a taste and I am hooked again.

Well, each of us has our triggers and mine is not sweet food. I used to get a King size 70% Cocoa chocolate bar and put it in the freezer and break off one and only one of the squares (about 160 calories if I remember correctly) and not ever eat 2 servings. Now that's controlled consumption - and a little bit of chocolate is good for you.

My trigger is chips, potato chips, corn chips and Tex-Mex food. Also, Pasta and rice. And even brown rice is fattening if you eat 3 servings of it. I usually used to eat pretty good but too much at home and whatever sounded tasty at restaurants and all of it even if it really could have fed 2 people. For example, I used to be able to eat the Acapulco Plate at Tia Maria's in Houston. Last time I went I ate some chips and salsa before the salad plate came. Then the salad plate had a crispy beef taco, a tostada with queso on it, and a small amount of guacamole. They brought my borracho Beans when they bring the salad plate. Then the hot plate came and there was a beef tamale, 2 cheese enchiladas and rice. I used to be able to eat all that. Now I can only eat about a half a cup of Beans. I think the next time I go, I will skip the chips and eat off my boyfriend's chicken fajita plate instead. I only need about a quarter cup of chicken fajitas. Maybe a little grilled bell pepper and onion and about a quarter cup of borracho beans. That's my plan for next time I go to Tia Maria's, the cheese enchiladas on longer appeal to me. Nor the tamale. Maybe I'll even have some shrimp diablo instead or a chicken taco salad without the shell or the sour cream. Or with light sour cream if they have it.

I'm 3 months post-op, and I do struggle making the right choices all the time. Sweets don't really appeal to me anymore. I had one small bite of my daughter's birthday cake last month and became extremely nauseated. Before surgery, I would have eaten that cake for Breakfast, lunch, snacks....whenever!! I struggle with carbs. Breads, crackers, potatoes...I love them all. I am battling the mental issue still. I used to love to eat. It was a major part of my day. Now, I'm full with 3 bites of a grilled chicken breast. I know I'll be okay; I've just got to get my mind right. I've lost 48 pounds without really being on a plan. I'm not sure what my plan is supposed to be. I try to focus on Protein, but I've found several Protein Shakes & even eggs can make me feel so sick.

I started out and was eating quite a bit and quite a bit of it at restaurants. When I started in June going to the nutritionist I started having a Protein drink for Breakfast and what I wanted for lunch and dinner' date=' even cheeseburger and fries.

Then I started the 2 week liquid diet. I only cheated with 2 meals on the liquid diet - once was a binge Mexican dinner and the other was a small Greek salad from Ikea.

I was real good for almost the first 2 weeks. Only thing I ate that was not liquid was about a tablespoon of some kind of Beans, not really a bad cheat. And toward the end of my second 2 weeks (puree stage), I have been able to eat and tolerate soft food and even a piece of chicken and a piece of tilapia chewed up really good. And today I had a bite of the Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin Cheesecake. It was just a sample at Sam's but it was more than enough for me.

My NUT says to aim for 90% compliance and not to deprive yourself too much or it will backfire. Take a bite now, but be good the rest of the week. As long as you are not doing it every day or even every other day, you should be good.

My NUT also said to avoid popcorn, seeds and nuts for 6 months. I suppose I will wait at least another 4 1/2 months (total 5 1/2 months) and then chew them really good.[/quote']

Pinky, this is a good idea in theory, but not for those of us who are sensitive to Carbs. A 10% binge of fries, or the bun of a burger, or the shell of a taco can send insulin sensitive people like many of us on here into a downward spiral that will set off all our triggers and put us back to square one.

I get it that people on here are saying 'just take a bite once in awhile! It won't hurt you'. I'd rather that people discussed each others food histories before we said that. Because those who aren't sensitive to certain foods will be eating very diff from those who do. Lucky them!!

Also, i'm grateful (now) for the pre-op and post op diets. I had no idea what carbs were doing to me until I totally detoxed. I hope I never go back to that unhealthy way of eating and it will take ME to do that. The sleeve doesn't care if I fill up on carbs or Protein. ;-)

My plan has always included eating all sorts of foods, including sweets and carbs. So I've eaten loads of things that people would consider 'bad' probably. But I like to have the variety and the choice, so I eat what I want. I've recently cut out wheat, but apart from that, I eat most anything in relatively small amounts. It helps me for maintenance I think as well.

I eat the same way!!! Eat what i want / when i want....in moderation, of course. I find that if I dont eat what my mind is craving...I will eat everything else in sight! If I were to list my "worst foods" on here, I would take up a couple of pages! Good eatin' / a lil cheatin' everyone! LoL

Pinky' date=' this is a good idea in theory, but not for those of us who are sensitive to Carbs. A 10% binge of fries, or the bun of a burger, or the shell of a taco can send insulin sensitive people like many of us on here into a downward spiral that will set off all our triggers and put us back to square one.

I get it that people on here are saying 'just take a bite once in awhile! It won't hurt you'. I'd rather that people discussed each others food histories before we said that. Because those who aren't sensitive to certain foods will be eating very diff from those who do. Lucky them!!

Also, i'm grateful (now) for the pre-op and post op diets. I had no idea what carbs were doing to me until I totally detoxed. I hope I never go back to that unhealthy way of eating and it will take ME to do that. The sleeve doesn't care if I fill up on carbs or Protein. ;-)[/quote']

Thats such a fair statement doxie. We are all coming from different directions when it comes to the weight. Some with serious addictions, some with emotional eating issues, some with Portion Control issues. Some (like me) are lazy and prefered to eat fishie crackers for dinner verses cooking when dh was out of town and then he's such a good cook I ate a portion larger than I should when he was in town :)

For many it's all or nothing when it comes to some foods. For me, I am comfortable with the idea of having a bite of this or that every once in a while but my challenge will be to focus on preparing meals verses eating out or those stupid fishies :) so I feel fine when I eat something that I see as a treat (coffee gelato tonight LOL) But for others that might have lead to a stop at the store on the way home for more gelato... :) We all have our reasons and knowing those would be valuable when discussing the lifestyle choices we all make for our healthy future.

6 months out and I only follow the Protein intake requirements. I eat the same as before just at much, muc lower quantities. I make lean protein a staple, but have had bites of French fries, Mac and chees, a cheeseburger, fried clams and hacpve dipped into many a celebratory cake...just about 1/10th of my usual portion, I am using the sleeve to really restrict what goes in and make wiser choices about what goes in the little room that I have, Virtually gave up on Pasta because I get so full after 2 bites. But really, I think twice about my choices but do indulge in very small quantities at various times. trying to balance stellar days with ones that I wish I made better choices on,

Pinky, this is a good idea in theory, but not for those of us who are sensitive to Carbs. A 10% binge of fries, or the bun of a burger, or the shell of a taco can send insulin sensitive people like many of us on here into a downward spiral that will set off all our triggers and put us back to square one.

It's a very good point -- and I used to think I was repeating myself too much, so I stopped putting my own disclaimers into my posts. But I think one's background and trigger foods, if any, are widely variable and do come into salience when considering 'planned' eating vs free-range eating, as it were. My personal disclaimer is that I never had any insulin issues whatsoever nor was I any kind of carb addict or binge eater. I don't have trigger foods that will make me suddenly eat a whole bag of X food, never did. So for me, I'm eating quite similarly to my pre-op eating patterns, just less quantity -- and therefore a larger focus on getting in good, nutritious calories and not eating too much junk. AND I don't live in the US, so I don't have a lot of crappy processed foods or fast foods available to me anyhow, so the quality of food I'm eating is usually fairly good even when it's 'bad'. For this I am very grateful!

Mmmmm...I really also believe in balance.But I have definite triggers.

Like rice,bread,crisps and Pasta.So,all carbs.Try not to eat them anymore but I do eat complex carbs like sweet potato.Actually,those are my only triggers.I dont do sugar,dislike chocolate,now cannot stand ice cream.But I do crave something nice since surgery,just havent found that nice thing yet.Maybe a good thing too.

Going on a mini holiday this week and somewhat concerned about hotel food for 4 days.I sometimes do lack good judgement.My stomach is acting up this week,fel if I have gastritis again so maybe this will save me from eating rubbish and too much.

O my,I sometimes do wish I was like the rest of my family.They just eat.Whatever they want (mostly good foods though) But they never overeat,ever.It use to drive me nuts at how little they would eat when we went to a buffet...lol.But I was the one that shouldnt have wanted value for money..lol

My daughter in law baked cupcakes and frosted them with yellow frosting then drove over after her ultrasound. In order to find out the sex of the baby you had to eat the cup cake...Since they all love me and Know I am working VERY hard I took one bite and then split the cupcake open to find my blue streak inside. I now have two grandsons coming in March!! I did eat that bite and swollow it...I have never been a sweet eater so that is not an issue but oh my...me and the chips have stare downs on many occasions!!

Love love love that idea so darn cute! Too bad done having babies or I would steal ;) congrats and proud of you too :)

I am new here and really strugling. I had VSG done in May 2012 @ 304 lbs. I am currently 242 lbs. About 3 weeks ago my husband brought home some Black Cherry pop in glass bottles. I am addicted to Cherry Coke but have not had any since 2 weeks before my surgery. Well stupid me had some in a frosted glass and it has been downhill from there.

It's like I opened the flood gates to hell. I tolerated it fine even thought I was scared to death from the stories about carbonated beverages' date=' drinking while eating ect.

The next day I tested a dorito then two then forget it. This cycle went on for aabout a week with a variety of highly processed foods, high fat foods until one day I drank while in the middle of eating and reguritated what I had just eaten. BINGO.

Now to the point where I am struggling...... I make it my daily mission to eat whatever bad food I want and drink Water with it and throw it up after. It's a different kind of obsession. I'll eat stuff I don't even like or crave just because I can throw it up.

Then to top it all off I justify it becasue I actually got past my stall and lost 3 lbs this past week.

The the reasonable person in me starts to get her voice heard and she saying STOP. You are not getting your nutrients and Water you need, you are so far off track, you did so good, you had goals and were never gonna touch that food or drink again, go back to that person. And I go to bed at night saying I am going to be that person again but the food addict in me takes over.

I know what to do and I know what harm I am doing but why do I continue to do it?

A couple weeks after my surgery I was stressed and pissed and I went for a drive and the thoughts that popped into my head where should I get onion rings at Burger King or Poppers at Arby's? Then I realized that the surgery made my stomach smaller but my brain was still the same. At that time it was an epiphany and I did neither but now I feel I am not sure how to get back.

Thanks for letting me vent.[/quote']

Not saying this to be judge mental of your / our spouses... But it is kinda frustrating and hard when they are small and can eat anything and we are trying so hard they come home with stuff like coke, pizza, ice cream ect... This time my hubby is taking it seriously and this is helping me. Talk to him.... He will understand. Good luck you can do this!!!! Xo

Yesterday I ate the worst thing I have ever eaten both pre and post op. I went to the fair and ate 1/3 of a piece of deep fried cheesecake. I don't know why I wanted it so bad but I did. I paid dearly for it. I got the worst headache I have ever had and I felt faint and nauseous for a good half hour after words. I will never do it again but man was it yummy!!!!

I think there are a couple foods that really pissed my sleeve off. One was a couple bites of real ham ( not the turkey ham). The other was a sausage patty with integrated cheese. I think the fat content in both was a big no no that lead to dumping syndrome and misery for 30 minutes. Luckily i learn fast and have not repeated.