Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to Site...

Hi everyone,

My name is Diane, usually known as "Dy". I was banded on February 7, 2005, at Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, MA and am down 75 pounds. I heard about this site from someone in my LapDogs website group, so I thought I'd give it a try. My highest was 254.5 - was 249 at surgery, and am now at 179. In the beginning, the weight was just falling off - why, who know?? It has slowed down considerably now, but still maintaining my "routine". I have a Vangard band, which holds 11cc's of saline and have about 9cc's now. My surgeon gave me the larger band because I have hemochromatisis (among other things) and my liver is enlarged. The larger band was easier to implant. I am a diabetic, have high blood pressure and have asthma. Since surgery, my diabetes meds are down, my blood pressure is great and meds are reduced and have not had many problems with my asthma. I try to make good choices everyday and eat mindfully, but it doesn't always happen. One of the best things I've learned from this experience and my support groups is to forgive myself whenever I "slip" up. We are all human and this is a life-long journey. Now, when I do something I'm not supposed to do, I don't beat myself up about it anymore. I just try to start again. I had a bad nose-dive in July that lasted about 3 weeks. I finally got control of myself and realized I didn't go through surgery and all this for nothing. I put myself back on Stage 3 & 4 foods for a couple of days to "clean" out my system then began again. It really does work. I faithfully exercise - I'm not a gym person, but I do walk a lot (3-5 miles a day - hey, I work in Boston, the best walking city in the world!) do aerobics, toning, hand weights and floor work - regularly. I'll do these for 3 to 4 days in a row, then take a day off. Sometimes my schedule will interfere, but for the most part, I'm pretty faithful. I feel great, I look better and I would do this again in a heartbeat. It saved my life. Hope to hear some of your stories and get to know all of you. Thanks for listening.

Dy

:flypig:

Banded 2/7/05 by

Dr. Julie Kim

Tufts-New England Medical Center

Boston, MA

Welcome dccandee. Glad to have you join us. What are stage 3 & 4 foods. I also have a 11cc band and was hoping when I got to a 9cc fill it wouldn't be so hard to lose--I'm at 6cc now and only seem to have restriction in the morning; by evening I'm wide open and really have to fight off the food demons. The problem is, if I could fight those demons successfully I wouldn't have needed the band. :D Anyway, I've lost 30-35 pounds since July 6, it varies day to day and I have to keep losing the same pounds over and over. ;) Just the same, I don't regret doing this, just had hoped it wouldn't be so frusterating. :rolleyes

Hi Dy, welcome to LBT! I am glad you found us. I personally find the support I gain from this site to be very motivating and it really does help keep me on track.

Wow, I think you are doing great to be at 75 pounds down. You must be feeling so much better. It sounds like the weightloss has had a signifcantly positive effect on your health issues, which is wonderful. And, I applaud you for continuing and doing what you have to do to get yourself back on track.