Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared After Pre Op Appointment

Anyone else get scared to death after they had their pre op appointment? I had mine today and had a panic attack on the way home. I have been going through this process over 6 months now but I got really scared after my doctor had me sign all those papers about the complications. I knew what they were but having him read them to me and sign my name on the bottom made it really scary. I didn't realize severe depression can be a complication and acid reflux will be something I will have to live with. Also didn't realize 1 in 1,000 people die from this surgery! I am thinking of canceling my surgery. Anyone else feel this way before surgery?

I believe the 1/1,000 is from some committing suicide, not the actual surgery. Some people can't handle the fact they can't eat like the used to and can't use food for comfort and end their lives. Since it happens w/i the first year, it counts towards complications. The depression factor is the same issue if you have a problem with food. This surgery is not for the weak ones...it's going to be hard, but worth it. I believe you can also control the reflux.

You are just freaking out because its in b/w. Did you look into your surgeon? Do you know his background and successes? I'm sure you will be ok.

(hugs)

Hey Cosmo -

I know the paperwork is freeky! You have to go in with both eyes open and know the risks. This is major surgery and not something to take lightly. It's ok to be scared. It's a reality check. Are you ready for this? Really, really ready?

This may sound wierd - but I had to come to the place where I was ok to die on the table if that happened. The surgery was worth that much to me. Did I think I was going to? Not really. The odds are so in our favor and so few people die from this. But I did have to be ok with that. I also had to feel 100% confident in my surgeon. Do you? That helps a lot. He told me point blank that he had not lost anyone yet and he sure didn't plan on me being the first! I loved that. He gave me a lot of confidence.

Finally - I personally don't want you to let your fear rule this decision. Wisdom is different than fear. Wisdom means you did your research, you understand how important this is to your health, you trust your surgeon, you are willing to deal with the diet and Vitamins and meds afterward, and you are ready to do this!!! I was ready!!!! Scared a bit - sure - but I was ready.

If you are ready - you can do this!!!! You will have peace in the midst of the paperwork! Keep talking about it. Make a wise decision.

On a final note - I have no reflex at all - I can eat just about anything in moderation - i do take daily meds and Vitamins - and I have absolutely NO REGRETS!!!!

Balancing out the risks of surgery are the risks of not having the surgery. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure more than one in one thousand die early because of complications of the excess weight. Just another factor in the decision..

Anyone else get scared to death after they had their pre op appointment?

I am thinking of canceling my surgery. Anyone else feel this way before surgery?

I have surgery tomorrow. I am thinking about backing out too. Totally freaked out!

My acid reflux is actually better post-surgery. I had an undiagnosed hiatal hernia (most of us who are overweight and 50 "ish" do). The symptoms of the hernia include acid reflux and fatigue. For 6 months my surgeon has his patients take Pepcid (or similar) and a PPI - this is mostly to promote healing. I took a PPI and Zantac everyday prior to surgery and still had reflux. Haven't had reflux since surgery.......

Acid reflux is not that big a deal. I take a med with my Vitamins and I am good all day. As far as being scared, it normal. Its a big change. Only you can tell if this is right for you. I had a panic attach the morning of my surgery. I had buyers remorse for 6 months after. Now 9 months out, it was the best decision I have ever made.

I don't know anything about your health and reasons for wanting surgery.

I had so many health issues that I knew I would have a much shorter life without the surgery, so it was worth the small risk. I really couldn't picture myself living the rest of my life with every step I take hurting because of osteo-arthritis in my knees. I couldn't deal with the complications likely to come due to diabetes, and spending the rest of my life unable to get a good nights' sleep.

Good luck with your decision.

When the nurse practitioner asked me if I had any questions or fears, I told her I thought I had asked all that I wanted to know. I also told her I looked at this similar to flying in an airplane. I figure the pilot doesn't want to crash any more than I do, and I also figure the surgeon probably doesn't want me to die any more than I do, so I'm pretty ok with it. My hubby was with me, so having him there to hear everything she told me to make sure I heard it the same way, helped me. Plus, it just helps me know he's on my side. I'm sure the closer I get to my surgery date (11/16) I'll probably become a bit more nervous and self-aware. I wish you much luck, and hope you are able to find the strength to make it through so you can enjoy the success that comes on the other side.

It's totally normal to be scared! I was freaked after my pre-op appt with my surgeon, then I was calm again. Then the morning of my surgery, my husband drove me to the hospital, he pulled in the parking ramp and I looked at him and said "lets go home, I can't do this" But, I knew if I didn't do it, I would regret it! I'm only 2 weeks post op now, so I'm not experiencing all the differences there will be (other then only being allowed liquids still for another week), but I know that since starting the 10 day pre-op liquid diet until now, I've lost 30 lbs already. So it WILL be worth it! Only you can really decide what's right for you, but as a person who has fear and anxiety myself, don't let fear of the unknown rule your decision. My husband was worried (and so was I), about the risk factors and death is always a risk, but I always told him, and reminded myself, I could die driving to work each day, I could die walking to the mailbox, and I could die early because of my obesity. Sometimes the risks are worth it! Good luck!

I had depression before the surgery and the first 3 weeks were REALLY hard, but you can get through it. Hang in there. I thought I had screwed up royally but I am so glad I went through it. I talked to my dr and he explained that the deaths related to the surgery are the high risk patients that already have an underlying health problem that they will discuss before the surgery.

As far as acid reflux, I have never had heartburn and have it now but was told by my dr's nurse it will get better over time. My body is still adjusting. I recommend you not do the surgery until you are comfortable. There is a difference in comfortable and scared. I would set up an appointment to meet with the nurse and discuss your concerns and let them answer all your questions.

This is a huge life changing surgery. It isn't for everyone but is a miracle for others.

I was TERRIFIED the few days prior and mortified the night before....When I woke up the next morning, I was ready for surgery and its been no turning back since. Vent on here as much as you need. Lots of great people on here. I will be saying a prayer for your worries to be less and for you to have a good nights rest.

Hugs :wub:

Anyone else get scared to death after they had their pre op appointment? I had mine today and had a panic attack on the way home. I have been going through this process over 6 months now but I got really scared after my doctor had me sign all those papers about the complications. I knew what they were but having him read them to me and sign my name on the bottom made it really scary. I didn't realize severe depression can be a complication and acid reflux will be something I will have to live with. Also didn't realize 1 in 1' date='000 people die from this surgery! I am thinking of canceling my surgery. Anyone else feel this way before surgery?[/quote']

I wasnt nervous about it but what you should think of is how much you put into this just to get your surgery and now that it is close you shouldn't just blow it all off for absolutely no reason it just defeats the pourpose

THANK YOU everyone for your kind words! It means the world to me! It puts my mind at ease to know that what I am going through is normal. I sat down with my husband and had a long talk. I feel better about going through with the surgery but it is going to be a long week ahead. My surgery is scheduled for next week Wed. The 24th.

THANK YOU everyone for your kind words! It means the world to me! It puts my mind at ease to know that what I am going through is normal. I sat down with my husband and had a long talk. I feel better about going through with the surgery but it is going to be a long week ahead. My surgery is scheduled for next week Wed. The 24th.

GOOD LUCK with your surgery I had mine four weeks ago and I am already starting to get a little bit of an hourglass figure

I was terrified after my appt where I had to sign a bunch of papers. I just kept thinking put one foot in front of the other. I felt like I was going through the motions. I just tried not to think too much about it and all the post op people did a great job at calming my nerves. I'm now post op and am so happy that I got the sleeve. I have 3 kids and was so scared to be the 1 person to die but I just did my best to stay positive and not think about the what ifs. Try to stay positive :)