Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast!

I'm almost shy of a month out & I still am trying to get used to taking small bites & chewing food completely. Sometimes I think I'm all healed & start to chew like I used to & boy do I pay for it later...is anyone going through this as well? I hate throwing up!!!

I think everyone struggles with this until they figure out chewing and eating slow prevents discomfort. I never really caught on to the eating slow part and suffered through what you are experiencing. However, by the 3rd month, my sleeve was a little more forgiving and puts up with my fast eating better now. I never over eat though because I always measure the food savings to 3 oz size. Good luck!

Oh I never overeat, but I was always such a fast eater so it's sooo hard to slow it down. Some days are much better than others... I guess it's all a learning process. Thanks for you input...

I have always been a fast eater. I am so goal orientated that I'm like on automatic pilot. It's still difficult but since I can only eat so much, I find myself drinking my Protein Shakes a lot slower now. I love it and am really working on slowing down my eating of food in all ways. I love it. It feels so much better and I don't feel so deprived. :)

I am almost 7 weeks out and am struggling with this as well. It's almost as though I know I can only eat so much, so I'm trying to pack as much in as I can. And I pay every time. I have a constant feeling of something being "stuck" in the middle of my chest. So I am working consciously on slowing down at each meal...the discomfort/pain is just not worth it.

At first I felt like I was swallowing a lot of air and burped a lot. It caused brief discomfort or pain until the air bubble shifted. I don't know what I'm doing differently now but the air isn't getting trapped as much, but I'm drinking wayyyy too fast still. Sometimes when I pick up a bottle of Water I'm gulping and it is going down too easily. I have to make myself present in the moment when I put something against my lips, and that isn't always easy to do. I guess it is just going to take us a lot of practice!

Totally! Drinking is much easier for me & I've noticed that I can take bigger sips now. I definitely am at the same mindset that I'm trying to get in as much as I can because I know after 4 bites I'm full so I try to "race the clock" & get in as much as I can. I will be working on this to change that behavior!

Try putting the fork down in between bites. Also, if you eat alone, try to count your chews -- play a little game with yourself to see how many times you can chew that scrambled egg or cottage cheese. :) It's pretty amazing how many times you can chew something. If you eat with others make conversation more important than eating. Remember we need to change how we think about food -- it is NOT the most important thing at the dinner table or the Holiday Feasts -- people are.

I now use a small fork (meant to be a dessert fork) and a small spoon and very often will put my utensil down for a full minute or two between bites because I'm talking :o or counting my chews -_- .

Good Luck!

Imgonnaloseit,

Those are great suggestions. My Surgeon's office suggested I start this process as my first visit. That was in January. Why am I two months away from surgery and believe I should really put this into practice. Don't get me wrong, I did for a could of weeks but then...that went by the way side.

:)

I'm gonna lose it: My surgeon's office wants us to wait 10 minutes before each bite. I tried, but I couldn't do it. So I wait as long as I can between bites and I'm happy with that. It's not a problem anymore. :)

Wow, I was sleeved on the 2nd of Oct. and Im glad I ran across this post. I was starting to feel like a failure because Im still having a problem drinking and eating slow. I'm learning quickly to slow down but sometimes I forget.

At first I felt like I was swallowing a lot of air and burped a lot. It caused brief discomfort or pain until the air bubble shifted. I don't know what I'm doing differently now but the air isn't getting trapped as much' date=' but I'm drinking wayyyy too fast still. Sometimes when I pick up a bottle of Water I'm gulping and it is going down too easily. I have to make myself present in the moment when I put something against my lips, and that isn't always easy to do. I guess it is just going to take us a lot of practice![/quote']

I seem to be gulping way to much. I'm so afraid that I've already undone any positive things from the surgery.