Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Experiences - Negative?

My story is in the story section (called the one you don't want to hear but should). I had it in Edmonds wa at a surgical center (mistake one....this should not be outpatient surgery!) I was near death when I went back to hospital the third time and had to have multiple procedures and surgery again to come back to my family last week. And I'm still in limbo as to if I will be going back and if I will retain my stomach.

IMO this is a surgery for those with over 40bmi and comorbidities. For anyone else it's not worth the risks.

Why do you say the risks are any different for those with BMI over 40? I think you have to be over 40 BMI or over 35 with comorbidities for insurance to approve it (i was both). I am just trying to make sure I understand your statement. I also don't understand why certain people get this surgery who only have like 40 lb to lose? I always thought the bariatric surgery was a last ditch effort to prolong life when all other approaches have failed.

My BMI was 36 and I had diagnoses of diabetes. It was so worth it for me.

My story is in the story section (called the one you don't want to hear but should). I had it in Edmonds wa at a surgical center (mistake one....this should not be outpatient surgery!) I was near death when I went back to hospital the third time and had to have multiple procedures and surgery again to come back to my family last week. And I'm still in limbo as to if I will be going back and if I will retain my stomach.

IMO this is a surgery for those with over 40bmi and comorbidities. For anyone else it's not worth the risks.

I think everyone considering this surgery should read your story. It hasn't made me change my mind but I went to the doctor with a list of questions based on your posts. It helped me a lot to discuss these things and know exactly what the risks are. I am a diabetic with heart issues and asthma already. I've been pretty active, cardio 40 minutes a day 5 days a week, weights 3 days a week and yoga almost every day, for the past 6 years. I've also done every diet under the sun but always get stuck in the same spot. My situation is different than yours but I still needed to read what could happen and I thank you so much for sharing. Even though it didn't change my mind that this is right for me it really helped.

5"6 244 before sleeve. Sleeved on 9/26/12 have 3 kids full time job self pay in the US. After the sleeve im 235 as if last monday I stopped weighing myself Everyday now its on the 26th only lol. I have not had really any problems at all. I eat ok get my pro and Water in walk 5 mils a day I went back to work after 4 days. I drove myself to the hospital and I drove myself home after I was sleeved lmao. All of my incisions are fully healed on the outside. Other then walking is getting old all is well over here.

Since having surgery I have constant diarrhea. Some days are ok others its 6 to 7 trips of diarrhea. I at times regret it:-(

Had zero problems throughout this entire process, am about 20 months post op. loving it, would do it again in a heartbeat. And I completely agree w iggy that this should NOT be done as outpatient surgery; it is major abdominal surgery and thus has risks associated with it. Best of luck!!

I had my surgery on 8/15 and so far I haven't had any complications. I would do it all over again.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about them. I will let you know what happens! :-)

I've had no complications. I went to Mexico for my surgery. I have no regrets. Just having a hard time adjusting to the new life style.

Hi Jean,

Would you mind sharing some of your difficulties you're having adjusting?

Thank so much!

Dana

Not use to the small amounts of food. I'm overeating and throwing up. I'm not getting in my Water, about 1/4 of what I need. I haven't become dehydrated, but if I do, I wouldn't be surprised

I had a BMI of 40. I am 43 years old and had my surgery done on an outpatient basis in North Bend Oregon. I have had no complications, very little pain, and zero nausea. I had my surgery on 9/24/12 (self-pay). I would do it again in a heartbeat. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who've had complications.

I was sleeved almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't had any complications *knock on wood*. I did have regrets soon after surgery because I was in so much pain and couldn't stop vomiting but the 2nd day after surgery was when I started feeling back to normal. I'm eating soft foods and I did feel a little sad when I couldn't finish my plate but I knew if I did attempt to shove one more bite in my mouth I would of puked. Today I haven't felt sad about not being able to eat a lot and I'm doing what a lot of the veterans said which is to work on the head stuff now. I made a small can of tuna with 2 whole eggs and light mayo and I was only able to eat 1/4 of it over the course of a day. Once I'm satisfied I wrap it up and put it in the frig. It's weird being able to walk away from food but it's getting better everyday :) I have zero regrets.

In reality any WLS is MAJOR and RADICAL surgery and should be approached as such. For the vast majority the surgery is successful and produces the desired results. And for a few, like those who posted to this thread already, it has dire even deadly consequences. It is NOT something to pursue lightly.

Nearly everyone knows someone or other that went in for some minor procedure and lost or nearly lost their life. My brother went in for bunion surgery, something my wife and I both had with ZERO complications. He got a MRSA infection and nearly died. My sister had WLS and nearly died because her stomach simply stopped working, it would not pass food or liquid, she also had sever problems with surgical adhesions. Someone I know lost a daughter when she went in to get a tooth extracted, she got an infection, it spread to her heart and in a matter of days she was dead. As with nearly EVERYTHING, bad results CAN and DO happen to a FEW people.

Now, having said that I was sleeved almost 2 years ago, and after being obese and morbidly obese nearly my entire adult life I am finally at a normal weight. I had very few issues post-op. The worst was 3 bouts of kidney stones caused by excess Calcium and not enough hydration. I was also nauseas and felt generally crappy for 2 months post-op, then again I felt crappy PRE-OP too my weight was really affecting me. I now am very active, almost perfectly healthy and always have GREAT lab results when I get a checkup. The one remaining health issue I have is low testosterone, I still have to take replacement shots for it, but now take 1/8 the dosage I started out with (started long before my WLS).

I would do it again. It has transformed my life.

I also don't understand why certain people get this surgery who only have like 40 lb to lose? I always thought the bariatric surgery was a last ditch effort to prolong life when all other approaches have failed.

Because some of us are coming from making the mistake of getting the lap band instead of the sleeve. I lost the weight with the band but urgently had to have it removed. I regret the lapband immensely! Would NEVER EVER recommend it to any one. That said.. I'm getting the sleeve prior to gaining all the weight back. There's no reason I should wait until I'm morbidly obese and then have my body have to work twice as hard to become healthy again. Yes, I am scared to death of the complications since the band had me on my death bed twice.

I don't know ... To each his own I guess

Because some of us are coming from making the mistake of getting the lap band instead of the sleeve. I lost the weight with the band but urgently had to have it removed. I regret the lapband immensely! Would NEVER EVER recommend it to any one. That said.. I'm getting the sleeve prior to gaining all the weight back. There's no reason I should wait until I'm morbidly obese and then have my body have to work twice as hard to become healthy again. Yes, I am scared to death of the complications since the band had me on my death bed twice.

I don't know ... To each his own I guess

I couldnt agree more. I too was on my death bead twice with lapband... once while I was 20 weeks pregnant and had to have it removed due to erosion, infection, and the tubing being entwined in my intestines causing tears and approaching sepsis. Recovered by the grace of God.

I have put on 60 of the 145 lbs I lost and I am miserable. I am having sleeve surgery 11/23. Praying hard that this is the right choice for me. I would NEVER EVER EVER recommend the band to anyone. It gave me issues the whole time and even after removal. I am having surgery with Dr. Ponce also n 11/23. Are you sleeved yet antiband????