Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shirataki Noodles

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has tried these noodles. I would have to order them online and wondered if anyone is using these as a Pasta substitute. Is it worth it and how does it taste? I have notice more carbs creeping into the diet and I am getting a handle on this right now before I stall all together. Thanks for your input!

If they are the noOdle brand....the smell of them was awful. Terrible! Then I tasted them, and they tasted liked they smelled. Lol. I threw the entire box away right then. It was a case. I switched to using spaghetti squash as my Pasta and completely satisfied. I am pre-sleeve, so maybe those things will not bother me post-sleeve.

I have tried them "Miracle Noodle" brand. It didnt smell or taste weird. It was a bit chewier than regular noodles, but they basically suck up the flavor of what you cook them in. I had the best result when I let them cook in the crock pot for a while. I did chicken Soup and it was pretty good! Very filling, feels like your cheating lol. (I am still pre-op)

I have read that you shouldn't smell them in the pack, they should be rinsed thoroughly for a few minutes, and then boiled 2-3 minutes to "minimize the authentic aroma" which I have to say frightened me just a bit! So I am glad to have a negative and a positive comment, but I am now back to neutral ground..LOL..anybody else with comments???

I julianne carrots, or zuchinni. Different types of mushrooms, and spaghetti squash all make for excellent replacements. I just avoid grain based carbs in general now, I have went so long without them I don't miss them.

You might find this interesting. This is where I got info on the Shirataki Noodle. Yep its got a smell which is the reason you rince them thoroughly.

This is but a fraction of what the link below will give you. I have not tried them - yet- but intend to.

Hope this helps you. :)

Shiratakia.jpg

Shirataki noodles were originally developed in Asia, but they have recently come to the attention of people around the world. Because these noodles are almost totally a beneficial type of Fiber, they have almost no "bad" carbohydrates. There are some indications that they may have other health benefits as well.

How Shirataki Noodles Are Made:

Shirataki comes from the root of a plant (Amorphophallus Konjac, or a few other closely-related species) grown in various parts of Asia, and given many names in different places, including Konnyaku potato (or just konnyaku), konjac, konjaku, elephant yam (although as far as I can tell, they are not related to any other plant commonly called “yam”), and others. The Fiber is also known as glucomannan.

Benefits of Shirataki Noodles:

There is some evidence that glucomannan, when tested as a powdered supplement, can play a role in blood sugar control, as well as improve cholesterol control and weight loss (see this report). It also contributes to fiber intake and can be a substitute for starchy noodles.

Tofu Shirataki Noodles:

Shirataki noodles tend to be a bit “rubbery.” Although this can be somewhat reduced by a short period of boiling, one food developer found that adding tofu to the shirataki produced a “tamer” texture. It also adds a bit of Protein and carbohydrate (1 gram Protein and 3 grams carbohydrate per serving). This product is a little easier to find, at least in my area, than plain shirataki noodles.

How to Use Them:

<p>Shirataki noodles are great in Asian noodle dishes, but people have used them in lots of other ways. Finalists in a recipe contest used them in Desserts, salads and patties.

More Recipes:

How They Are Packaged:

Shirataki noodles come "wet" - packed in liquid. They are ready to eat out of the package. I usually just rinse them under hot Water, cut them up a few times with kitchen shears, and add them to the dish I'm cooking.

http://lowcarbdiets....atakinoodle.htm

Oh I have tried these. i ate 3 bags over a period of time. They smell like fish and are tasteless, so I added sauces etc. it was bah, but the big problem was: towards the end of the third bag i started getting excruciating belly pain after eating. i kept thinking int was a fluke, so I ordered another bag. The pain was worse evrytime I ate them. i had to throw out the rest, as just looking at them made me nauseous. This may have been an individual reaction, just thought I'd let you know. Oh and they are very difficult to digest, stays in your belly forever.

Done Did It!

Oh I have tried these. i ate 3 bags over a period of time. They smell like fish and are tasteless' date=' so I added sauces etc. it was bah, but the big problem was: towards the end of the third bag i started getting excruciating belly pain after eating. i kept thinking int was a fluke, so I ordered another bag. The pain was worse evrytime I ate them. i had to throw out the rest, as just looking at them made me nauseous. This may have been an individual reaction, just thought I'd let you know. Oh and they are very difficult to digest, stays in your belly forever.

Done Did It![/quote']

Thanks for the input on the abdominal problems.i have seen that in other posts as well..so I will keep that in mind!

You might find this interesting. This is where I got info on the Shirataki Noodle. Yep its got a smell which is the reason you rince them thoroughly.

This is but a fraction of what the link below will give you. I have not tried them - yet- but intend to.

Hope this helps you. :)

Shirataki noodles were originally developed in Asia' date=' but they have recently come to the attention of people around the world. Because these noodles are almost totally a beneficial type of fiber, they have almost no "bad" carbohydrates. There are some indications that they may have other health benefits as well.

How Shirataki Noodles Are Made:

Shirataki comes from the root of a plant (Amorphophallus Konjac, or a few other closely-related species) grown in various parts of Asia, and given many names in different places, including Konnyaku potato (or just konnyaku), konjac, konjaku, elephant yam (although as far as I can tell, they are not related to any other plant commonly called “yam”), and others. The fiber is also known as glucomannan.

Benefits of Shirataki Noodles:

There is some evidence that glucomannan, when tested as a powdered supplement, can play a role in blood sugar control, as well as improve cholesterol control and weight loss (see this report). It also contributes to fiber intake and can be a substitute for starchy noodles.

Tofu Shirataki Noodles:

Shirataki noodles tend to be a bit “rubbery.” Although this can be somewhat reduced by a short period of boiling, one food developer found that adding tofu to the shirataki produced a “tamer” texture. It also adds a bit of Protein and carbohydrate (1 gram Protein and 3 grams carbohydrate per serving). This product is a little easier to find, at least in my area, than plain shirataki noodles.

How to Use Them:

<p>Shirataki noodles are great in Asian noodle dishes, but people have used them in lots of other ways. Finalists in a recipe contest used them in Desserts, salads and patties.

More Recipes:

[*]Pasta With chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

[*]Quick chicken Alfredo with Shirataki Noodles

[*]Pasta salad with Tomatoes and Basil

[*]Turkey Tetrazinni

How They Are Packaged:

Shirataki noodles come "wet" - packed in liquid. They are ready to eat out of the package. I usually just rinse them under hot Water, cut them up a few times with kitchen shears, and add them to the dish I'm cooking.

http://lowcarbdiets....atakinoodle.htm

Thanks CoolBreeze I am about to check out the sites!

The taste didn't bother me, but the rubbery texture did. I think they'd be worth a try, but not if you have to spend tons to get some. Do you have any Asian markets or even natural food stores around where you might get a bag to try? I might be willing to try simply.torri's idea of the crockpot, though. One of the grains I really like is quinoa...it does have some carbs, but it has Protein, too, and it's really tasty to me.

I ate them a lot during my pre-op. The trick is to wash them really well. But be aware that the texture is so different that it won't satisfy your craving for Pasta.

And i agree with one comment: they are hard to digest. I'm not too sure my sleeve will want them hanging around in my new tummy. I strongly suggest that you do NOT order a box. Not until you've tried them.

The closest store is 2 1/2 hours away..so I have to go next month anyway to this town for follow-up...so I will definitely try only 1 bag!!!

The trick is definitely to rinse them very very well! I had read about the smell before hand and didn't take it seriously... Until I opened the first package! But once they are rinsed they are ok... I will have to try the boiling thing!

The taste didn't bother me' date=' but the rubbery texture did. I think they'd be worth a try, but not if you have to spend tons to get some. Do you have any Asian markets or even natural food stores around where you might get a bag to try? I might be willing to try simply.torri's idea of the crockpot, though. One of the grains I really like is quinoa...it does have some carbs, but it has Protein, too, and it's really tasty to me.[/quote']

I really enjoyed Quinoa for the first time at the Animal Kingdom at Boma in Disney World.......loved it...and the nice thing about quinoa is that it is a complete Protein meaning it has all of the essential amino acids to support life. A lot of grain protein lack some of the essential amino acids ...but not quinoa! Try it...it's wonderful!

The trick is definitely to rinse them very very well! I had read about the smell before hand and didn't take it seriously... Until I opened the first package! But once they are rinsed they are ok... I will have to try the boiling thing!

I think I will boil them too!