Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more band

:sick Well, I haven't posted in a while for I have been very happy with my band and living well with it. I got my band in August of 2005 by Dr.Ortiz and was very happy with the result. I went from a size 18/20 to 14 and never had to have a fill because I still had pretty good restriction. I found out I was pregnant in the beginning of August this year and I really wasn't too worried because I had seen that a lot of people had successful pregnancies with the band, and, hey I hadn't even had a fill that needed to be taken out.......

Well, I've had a lot of "all day sickness" with this(my third) pregnancy. My first 2 were not like this. Anyway this past Thursday shortly after lunch I got incredible pain in my stomache that escalated in non stop vomiting. I was admitted into the hospital and they ruled out my gall bladder with an ultrasound and put in an awful thing, an NG tube. This stands for nasal gastric tube and goes through your nose to your stomache and drains any contents to stop the vomitting. Finally a very nice gastric Dr. got involved and diagnosed my problem. My band had prolapsed and my stomache had gotten kinked up in it. So it had to be removed immediately.

After the surgery I felt immediately better, no pain or sickness other than surgical sights. So I am relieved because it was a horrible 48 hours. I now have to try to get through this pregnancy without gaining too much weight, which really worries me. But the important thing is the baby is fine, we had an ultrasound right after and it was moving and waving at us. So I can deal with a little weight.

One other thing I thought was interesting is that my Hartford, CT. surgeon Knew of Dr.Ortiz and thinks very favorably of him. He actually praised his surgical knowledge and style. I guess a bunch of the doc's around here were trained by him. He is also going to become my physcian after the birth and will hopefully be able to give me a new band. So thats my story

Blessings can you count them.

228 to 187

20 to 14

Good restriction

knowledgeable surgeons

Baby Waving

Take care of yourself and that little bundle. I'm glad everything worked out well.

I am sorry that you had a terrible experience being pregnant and lossing your band. I also have a band baby and thank goodness I didn't have any problems my son what born 04/14/06 and I only gained 23 pounds the entire pregnancy.

You are lucky to be under Ortiz's care. I was banded by him and feel that he is one of the best lapband surgeons in the world. I am so glad to hear that you and the baby are ok--take it easy and don't worry about your weight until after you have the baby. I am sure Dr.Ortiz will get you set up with a new band and you will lose the rest of your weight in no time. Good luck to you!

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/164/160

5'7''

Thanks everyone, and your right Teresita, I can certainly count my blessings. And good for you Esmerelda! I hope I only gain 23lbs! I got down to 181 before the pregnancy and am already at 190! And that was with the band. But the baby's health is the most important thing, so I guess I can deal with it. I just need to be sensible and try to avoid all those carbs that were so hard to eat with the band......

I am sorry to hearyou lost your band .I too was a patient of Ortiz I had my band for 18 months and went from a size 22 to a 10-12. I lost my band too so I know how you are feeling but on a possitve note it is very possible to maintain your weight loss I have maintained my 100+ lbs now for 10 months without my band. I know you are pregnant so it may be a little more of a challenge but we are all here to offer you support. best of luck to you during your pregnancy. right now is the time to focus on healing from surgery and your pregnancy..weight loss will come later

<snip>...I got my band in August of 2005 by Dr.Ortiz and was very happy with the result. I went from a size 18/20 to 14 and never had to have a fill because I still had pretty good restriction. I found out I was pregnant in the beginning of August this year and I really wasn't too worried because I had seen that a lot of people had successful pregnancies with the band, and, hey I hadn't even had a fill that needed to be taken out...<snip>

Gosh, bless your heart. Sorry about your band.

Hopefully your story will help other Bandsters and remind us all to be aware of the risks.

But one question - I know you didn't feel as if you need a fill, but in the year after your banding, who was your local doctor before you found this new one (who sounds great, by the way)???

I mean, I know Dr. Ortiz placed it, but which doctor did you see that concurred with you that your band didn't need a fill? I always caution Bandsters to go for 'follow-ups' and so-called 'fill' appointments even if they don't think they need a fill. Often these follow up visits (even when things are going well and restriction is good) help to underscore issues that might arise and pre-diagnose little complications early on.

Those appointments aren't just to re-tighten the band. They are great opportunities to find out how you're eating, how you feel, your diet/food choices and other great information.

Anyway, congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck on the next leg of your band journey.

nesstg: You have a great attitude. So sorry for the trouble you had to go through. Sounds like this doctor will be perfect - both for baby and for possibly being re-banded.

Also, nice to hear the good feedback on Ortiz.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on your journey, maybe share some baby pics when he/she makes a debut, too!

Good question. I hadn't located a Dr. up here because I planned on going back to Dr.Ortiz. I routinely go on his web site and chat board and have his book and knew that at a year post op he advised patients to have a flouroscopy. This happened to be when I found I was six weeks pregnant. I work for 2 different hospitals up here and am surrounded with physcians, the one bariatric Dr. I first approached was very negative about low BMI peaople having the band...so quite frankly I decided I only wanted to deal with Dr.Ortiz. I'm pleasantly suprised by this new Dr. and his views, I'd rather not have to head back to Mexico with a new born.