Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Me, I Think I'm The Only One That Has Failed This Surgery

Ok here is the deal I got sleeved Sept 17, and the first week went great. I went into the 2nd week and had lost a total of 15lbs. The end of the 2nd week stopped losing and have never started back since. My appetite has become bigger, I can take down about 700 to 800 cal a day. I eat Soups and crackers and snack size chips go down well. I know I shouldnt be eating these crackers and chips. One day I actually gained 2lbs, how is that happening if I only ate 800 cal in a day. I got them to come off by eating only 350 calories the next 2 days but no other weight loss. I would just like some input on what to eat at the beginning of week 4. Any input from others that went through this .......please.

Question: Now that we have a smaller stomach how many calories must we be limited to, so that we lose weight??

I know before if I ate anywhere near 800 to 1000 calories i would lose like crazy. So now that we have smaller stomach does it take a lot less calories to lose weight??

First of all no crackers, chips get these out of your house! Follow the diet plan from your doctor. I am on day 28 and am still on pureed. I only eat things with Protein in them so I can get 60-80 grams a day. I drink lots of Water. I also am currently in a stall they say that this happens to most. You will start losing weight again, hang in there you have not failed, just be patient and the weight will continue to fall off.

I'm still pre-op so have no first hand knowledge, but I have read tons of posts from sleevers who talk about a week three stall.

The advice I keep seeing is stick to your plan. Sounds solid to me.

Good luck!

What stage are you at diet wise? I'm sure you know you should be following your provider's guidance. It's far too early to say the surgery has failed. My diet is 1000 cals per day and more Protein less carbs. I am 3 months out though. Give it time.

The same here... was sleeved on sep 28, lost 15 pds... am only doing Soups & Protein shakes...and i have stalled. I know my body will eventually give in and lose though.

Stalls are normal, don't panic!! It will work, just breathe and relax and eat clean!! Seriously, IT WORKS. A stall is not the end...! :-)

You just need to calm down. You just had surgery!! How could you even say you have failed yet? First, do not weigh yourself everyday. That is a recipe for crazytown! I weigh myself once a week, and as long as I am losing I am happy. I am now close to 5 months out and down 75 lbs, but not every week as been a huge week, and yes there are weeks where I don't lose. Give it a chance, and try to kick the crackers and chips, at least at such an early stage. You will lose if you are eating 800-1000 calories a day. Keep your head up.

First of all, you have not failed, you are just getting started. Give yourself some slack, it is a huge learning curve. A stall around the 3 week mark is totally normal. Another poster had a great article about what our bodies are doing and why we stall early out....search 3 week stall and you should be able to find it. Now, you should be following your post-op guidelines from your surgeon...600 to 800 calories is not bad and you will lose. The only thing I would say is crackers and chips are high in sodium which causes Water retention...this might explain the small gain. Plus, they are what is called a "slider" food...which means they mush up significantly as you eat them and in your stomach, thus allowing you to eat more. Because of this, you take in a lot more carbs and calories. I know you start to feel like you just want to chew something, but it is best to stick to your liquids and better sources of Protein. I am not sure where you are in your post-op, but if you are in mushy stage, you could have scrambled eggs, greek yogurt (amazing source of protein), Protein shakes, and on some diets, ground meats chewed well.

Good luck on your journey and like others have said, try to relax. I know it is hard, we all want to lose all our weight in 2 or 3 months, but the fact is it doesn't usually happen that fast. Just stick to the plan and you will lose!

This has been great advice. I know the crackers and chips are horrible, they just go down so easy (convienence needs to get out life) lol. I'am in the mushy stage still and I think I'm gonna go today and get me some Soups and greek yogurt and eat more scrambled eggs. What greek yogurt has the most Protein? ? Everyones input has helped so much, thank you!

convenience does not have to get out of life. if so, i would be a total failure. instead of the chips and crackers, switch to things like string cheese, greek yogurt, turkey peperoni slices, thin sliced ham with fat free cream cheese. or similar items.

chips and crackers fall into what we call 'slider foods'. sure, they taste good and go down easy, but you get no real nutritional benefit from them, and they end up being just empty calories. and they really dont do a very good job of holding off hunger.

try to make even your Snacks be something relatively high in Protein. you may not be getting enough Protein. that and water/liquid. protein and Water are your new best friends.

good luck.

Get on my fitnes pal.com

Keep a food log. religiously so. as if your weight loss depended on it ;)

walk daily - regardless of what else you are doing, even if for only 15 minutes.

No carbs. start back out on your liquids for a few days, and build back up to puree...and again, no carbs.

Here is where only you know if it pertains to you: you mentioned chips and such so it leaves the impression on me that you are experementing with foods, and are possibly eating much more than you realize. If you are, and you recognize it then acknowledge it and find your trigger, get away from your need to feed - this new tummy is only a tool and you can and will find a way around if if you want to.

Read the Power of Habit by Dughill if yo have time at all - once to read, twice to comprehend, and take notes...it helps soooo much. Understanding the brain is as important as understanding the body.

If you can get from missing your food to enjoying the amazement of how little it takes to sustain us now, you will enjoy your journey so much more - I know I did.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Don't panic. I"m not.. I was sleeved Sep 18th. Lost 10 pounds on pre liquid then 10 the first week then 5-7 and now nothing for a week!!!! Yes, plenty of threads on here about the stalls. I researched from medical sites and the deal is that your body losing glycogen quickly, just like it did on low carb diet days.. THat as a large ratio of Water to glycogen, so we lose the water weight quickly and also fat.. Pants also fit better, etc and we feel great.. once glycogen is gone, even if you were losing fat, your pants would still fit better, but the weight would be like 1/4 of the decrease as before because it's only fat and no water. Make sense? THEN, the stalls are required for your body and is very cool how it works (although I do hate mine lol), because it has to restore glycogen and it , in essence, shifts around the fat from your cells and converts it to glycogen. As someone puts it, so your body can react to running in the old days, from say, a sabertooth tiger.. So, even though you won't lose weight, as the body changes it's "insides" to glycogen, you will be way more fit and trim, just not less weight. Then it repeats.. The less dramatic the weight loss, the less this is noticeable, etc. But it's also why many people go through several stalls. I hope to be one to tell you that I got out of mine soon. I used to eat 3500 cal a day and now 1200 on a bad day. So s/b losing two or three lbs a week, but nada for like 9 days. Again, I am certain it's normal and it always used to happen to me on my diet days. hope that helps

I was sleveed tge 18th too. From 277 today im 261pounds. The scale has not move in one week, but as you i eat pita chips, tortilla and even the top of 1 slice of pizza. Dont have time to workout(I know, excuses, excuses) but my face its everyday more thinner, my clothes fit better. I feel great. Please dont think you,re a fail as me you must change your habits for good, now that we have the tool its will be more and more easy everyday. I will watch your journey as we have almost the same date.

Hugs sis-sleever. :)

Ok here is the deal I got sleeved Sept 17' date=' and the first week went great. I went into the 2nd week and had lost a total of 15lbs. The end of the 2nd week stopped losing and have never started back since. My appetite has become bigger, I can take down about 700 to 800 cal a day. I eat Soups and crackers and snack size chips go down well. I know I shouldnt be eating these crackers and chips. One day I actually gained 2lbs, how is that happening if I only ate 800 cal in a day. I got them to come off by eating only 350 calories the next 2 days but no other weight loss. I would just like some input on what to eat at the beginning of week 4. Any input from others that went through this .......please.

Question: Now that we have a smaller stomach how many calories must we be limited to, so that we lose weight??

I know before if I ate anywhere near 800 to 1000 calories i would lose like crazy. So now that we have smaller stomach does it take a lot less calories to lose weight??[/quote']

I lost in week pre op than in first week and nothing since and I was sleeved Sept 25. I know body is just changing... I am trying hard to be OK with it.... So I get it... I'm even still on liquids and not vering from plan so there ya go hang in there... :)